Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Orbtrances 2  (Read 6343 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Orbtrances 2
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »

I haven't actually started yet, go right ahead and write up a backstory and whatnot.  Also, desired skills, if you wish.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 06:12:21 pm »

What skills do you still want in the starting 7?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:59 pm »

Choose anything.  I've got most things covered, any that aren't I'll shove on somebody.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »

Cool, how about a gem cutter and setter? Backstory on its way.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 08:17:49 pm »

Jerbot was a lonely dwarf. Not that he didn't want friends, he even had a few. But He never felt like they filled that hole of longing deep inside. Then one day, as he was idly walking past the workshops, he saw the one thing he just knew would fill it. It was a large Sapphire on display in a jeweler's window. It glowed with serene light and Jerbot felt the loneliness lift for just a moment. He knew he must have it.

"Not for sale." The jeweler said. Apparently it was made by his father, and brought good fortune to his clan. So Jerbot thought about it for a while, and suddenly a sinister thought lodged in his mind. The next day he asked the jeweler for an apprenticeship and began working along side the old dwarf, filling his brain with knowledge of the various gems and their qualities. All the while his heart only had eyes for the Sapphire. After spending a few months earning the trust of the jeweler, Jerbot took his chance, and the gem, and finally had his hearts desire.

But Jerbot was blinded by his lust, and had given no thought to what lay after he took possession of his treasure. So he shouldn't have been surprised when the guard found him at home, hauled him in to prison, and took away the Sapphire. In the weeks before his trial, the lonely pit opened up, wider than before and he paid no attention to the comments or attention of his friends. He had realized something important as he lay in his bed in the cell, pondering his feelings and remembering the time spent learning a trade.

The judge took pity, such as it was, on Jerbot and sentenced him to join an expedition to found a new outpost. Jerbot smiled and acted like he cared about building friendships with those going with him. For the important thing he had realized now drove him to use every resource he could muster in the pursuit of filling the void inside him. He had realized, that he would only be whole when he had in his possession the most perfect gem...the Sapphire was not enough.

So, gender is changeable depending on whats available, but if I happen to get super lucky, can I get a dwarf who likes some kind of gem? I will retcon both details to fit a dwarf if need be.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:19:33 pm by Jerbot »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »

I drew a picture of how I imagine my dorf.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 08:07:47 pm »

From the diary of Maskwolf, science explorer,

1 Granite
My motley crew and I have arrived at the site we picked out.  True, it has an aquifer, but the resources of the site are worth it.  Probably not, actually: but one can always hope.  Regardless, it looks like as good a place as any to run tests.  Preliminary results from the machine indicate that something lurks below the ground.  Unfortunately, on the way here, a thief snuck into our supplies while we slept and made off with Shadowhammer’s weapon.  We will need to find metal ore in order to replace it, and soon.  The device has some… unfortunate side effects.  If it works the way it is intended to, it will unfortunately act as a beacon to the forces of darkness, drawing them to our location.  We must work quickly to get underground, lest less savory entities find us.
As Shadowhammer will not have anything to do until we get the forges running, I order him to pick up an axe and begin cutting down trees.  Not that much else we can do right now but get all of the supplies inside.  Gene goes to work mining us out a shelter from the elements: the device is rather finicky, and I would hate to get it wet.  Fortunately, there is sand here, so Solmyr should have plenty of stuff to play with.  Ulengkosak wandered off to find plants, not sure what for, but hopefully he brings back enough supplies to make do until we get more support.  As this is a science expedition, I do not expect particularly many dwarves to arrive, but one never knows.  Jerbot has become our temporary carpenter, as I could not find one to accompany me on this quest.  He didn’t seem particularly thrilled with his job, but he didn’t complain much either.  As soon as he makes an axe, I myself have decided to assist Shadowhammer in cutting down trees.  It will occupy me until my skills are needed.
8 Granite
Gene works incredibly quickly, I can see why we brought him along.  We have enough space for all of the supplies from the wagon now, and the idle dwarves are currently bringing them inside.
24 Granite
The piercing of the aquifer is now commencing, thanks in large part to the efforts of Solmyr and Hezekiah, who volunteered to help build floors and walls to seal it off.
28 Granite
Solmyr decided that working on her upper body strength would be a good idea and volunteered to do pump operating.  Perhaps one of the least glamorous jobs a dwarf can do, but an extremely important one.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 09:56:34 pm »

Jerbot sighed. His fingers burned with blisters, but not the ones gotten from shaping gemstones. His dream seemed so far away, almost unreachable. And all the while he labored on things seemingly unrelated, the void in his heart seemed like it had no end.

But Jerbot took comfort that his mind was now devoted to the task of completing his ambition, as his passion had been since his first glimpse of that gem back home, imperfect though it was. He knew in his heart now that the perfect gem was out there, waiting for him to find. If only he could get Gene to dig deeper, and keep an eye out for gems...

So, he squared his shoulders and steeled himself to wait as long as it took, to do whatever needed to be done so that one day he would have his chance. If making things out of wood is what would get him to his prize, then he would gladly do it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »

18 Hematite
The aquifer piercing is nearly complete.  Soon I will be able to devote my time to my studies.
Also, Jerbot has been asking to  find gemstones for him to ply his trade on.  I suppose that I can do that, though for what purpose I am unsure.
18 Malachite
Some more dwarves have arrived!  I’m not sure entirely what they are doing here, but they got to work immediately, so I’m not complaining.
15 Galena
We have struck tetrahedrite!  This is most excellent news.  Soon, the military will have the weapons it needs to operate.  We also have found a handful of gems, which Jerbot has set to work on.
28 Galena
As summer draws to a close, I write to report that the fortress is doing well, though having only one miner is crippling our ability to dig out rooms for everyone.

Generic Wizard

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Could be anyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 01:17:35 am »

Spoiler: Mental Journal #1 (click to show/hide)

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 02:10:25 am »

It appears as though I have missed the dwarfing well anyways i would like a dwarf that has bookkeeping and manager skills if that's at all possible if not something close and preferably a male dwarf I will post backstory once my dwarf request has been accepted also I don't want a turn due to RL things happening
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 02:13:46 am »

Okay.  My dwarf has taken over all responsibilities along the lines of bookkeeping managing, but there are a bunch of other ones (I've actually finished my turn, I'm just doling it out in pieces so that people can react to it).

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 04:03:56 am »

Is there a  spot available as overseer? :)

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:56 am »

Bunch of other ones? Are you referring to other dwarves avalable or what?
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

Other dwarves available.  And yes, Getix Kain, there are spots available as overseer, just give a backstory and preferred profession for you dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5