Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: Iron Diadem, Night One: Things Said Behind Bars - [ABORTED]  (Read 72337 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem, Day One: Rex Danorum
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2014, 05:56:45 am »

What helps you pick that one to say is your favorite?

It looks good?

Understanding that you like them all, did you add this comment to indicate that you like Persus13's the least, because it needs changing?  Or do you have a different answer to the one(s) you like less than the ones you like the most?

Ah, no, I like it. Hard to say which one I like the least. Maybe one of the very busy ones like Mark II and Louisa's, though they've got a certain charm.

When I look at Persus's coat of arms, I see 10 golden crowns on a blue field.  Why does this symbology specifically indicate our Queen to you?

Lrn2count :( There's 13 - which I presume symbolised our queen and the twelve council members. The Queen is dead, and a bunch of us will follow, so the shield is out of date.

Tiruin: Not sure how you're missing the names - they're right under each shield.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2014, 05:59:38 am »

Whups, meant to answer this, not just quote it.

The garlic on yours made me laugh. Is that to keep away the vampires?

Oh no.  Vampires are probably not a concern to me.  Are they to you?

They're a concern to every red-blooded servant of the crown. Are you saying you're in league with the vampires? Are you trying to turn these lands to darkness?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2014, 06:13:03 am »

Tiruin:

I didn't read the rules that closely before I started - I fixated on Vector-game, shield-we-get-to-design, and the similarities in what we bring to the game and the sort of character we might be given to play (kinda like BYOR).  I didn't realize we had a kingmaker mechanic until night 0 started.  I just now realized that the shields were posted for everyone to see.  Not sure if that's what you mean by 'if the mechanics are shifted'.

I haven't given any thought to how I would play this game if Scum.  I've just barely given any thought to how the Kingmaker mechanic is going to affect how everyone plays, it wasn't until I read Jim's question to King Cheeetar that I actually 'clicked' that 'oh boy, there's 1 player going to call the lynch today'.

Life stuff's hard and awesome and disappointing and requiring persistence... and getting better and getting worse and life simply swirls these days.

Imp
Tiruin:  How important is color to you?  To your character?
Very important actually. I have some sorta...affinity for colors that they intrigue me more than an abstract object-not that I live in a rainbow room anyways, its just that colors like the arts and musics have a...special preference in me. As for my character, she's a bit color blind but she likes color a lot, too.

Why do you ask?

It seemed like exactly the right question to ask you.  Colorwise, your shield is the most atypical of the 'set' of all of our shields.  Yours is not the only one to possess a color that no other shield has, but there's a hue-quality to yours which is strikingly different from the others, at least to my eyes.  What's the significance of your heraldry's background color?

Caz:
When I look at Persus's coat of arms, I see 10 golden crowns on a blue field.  Why does this symbology specifically indicate our Queen to you?

Lrn2count :( There's 13 - which I presume symbolised our queen and the twelve council members. The Queen is dead, and a bunch of us will follow, so the shield is out of date.

Lrn2count?  Oh, hey!  You're right, thank you.  I'll try.  That does make sense.  Oddly, I did count, and when I counted, I saw only 10, and one of those 10, the one at the bottom, it was the brightest of all to my eyes.  But I see it now as you described it.

... You say that a coat of arms must be current, or it must be changed?  The past is dead, forget the past, destroy the past?  You would have our queen, even that we 12 have served her, pushed out of sight and mind now that she is dead and because some of us will surely die?

Oh no.  Vampires are probably not a concern to me.  Are they to you?
They're a concern to every red-blooded servant of the crown. Are you saying you're in league with the vampires? Are you trying to turn these lands to darkness?

*A peering look, a vague distance in her intent eyes*  No, I am saying that I do not... did not... know that vampires existed.  You say that they do?  How do you know this?

Turn the lands to darkness?  Never, for these lands are not dark, not dark alone.  These lands are dark and light and bright and dim, they are all the things they are and that is what I would have them be, what they are, as true and pure and whole as they are, what they are in their complete wholeness.  What have you against darkness?  Our queen favored black and she favored it strongly, it was her choice amongst all the other choices she could pick.  She loved black so dark it was if she were blind when she saw it.  Who are you, who had been in the service of our Queen, to connect darkness, which our Queen so loved, with vampires or any evil?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2014, 06:36:01 am »

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write out all these things for us, Vector! They are excellent.

As I am to be King, for now at least, I should introduce myself more thoroughly to those who have forgotten me. I strongly suggest that you introduce yourselves as well- although rest assured that I do remember who you are. I am Ansgar Danielsen, Lord Magistrate of the South, and before the unfortunate departure of our Queen I was perhaps to be considered the second most powerful person in the land. Given my current status, I should be considered the most powerful by all here gathered.

King Cheeetar, I see that on your herald you have a horse on a stick, a coat hanger suspending two bird cages, some sort of weird eagle-lion hybrid, and your last name clearly comes from the Karate Kid. What is the significance of all of these?

Also, how much time will there be from when you've made your decision about whom to execute and when you execute them?

My coat of arms is a very storied and distinguished one. The 'horse on a stick' you see is a Nithing Pole. It is used to denote a curse on my enemies. The scales of justice are befitting my role as Lord Magistrate, given the judgements I have had to make. The animal on my coat of arms is as it is- I have no special commentary on the grand beast, other than it befits my character.
Poking fun at my name, which is surely a subject of great joy to you, has no part in this court.

There will be no time between me making a decision to execute somebody and them being executed. Judgement shall be swift to all traitors. I will, however, let all those I suspect present a case as to their innocence.

King Cheeetar, Superblackcat, TolyK, Toaster and Caz:  Looking at the appearance of the various shields, which one do you like the most, which the least?  Why?

I am incredibly taken with the artist's depiction of my own coat of arms. Of the other coat of arms- that of Gwenhwyfar seems uncomfortable given the circumstances of our gathering.

King Cheetar: Hail to the Regency Council representative! Given that your word is yours and yours alone, the defining point of the day, how would you go about your matters in justifying who to vote for? How would you view scummy-tells as a generality?

I would hope the accuracy of my verdict would be its own justification, but I will of course attempt to explain my reasoning to all esteemed (and otherwise) peoples gathered.

Everyone: Introducing yourself, even in the most basic of terms, should be treated merely a formality. A formality that I shall have to enforce. If you do not for some reason wish your identity to be known, well, that is how a traitor would behave.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem, Night Zero: Council of Thirteen
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2014, 06:43:18 am »

King Cheetar:  How would you view scummy-tells as a generality?

Forgot to address this- I would view them as reasons to pressure and interrogate a potential traitor. Should their suspiciousness escalate further still upon questioning, they will be a prime candidate for execution.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2014, 06:56:15 am »

... You say that a coat of arms must be current, or it must be changed?  The past is dead, forget the past, destroy the past?  You would have our queen, even that we 12 have served her, pushed out of sight and mind now that she is dead and because some of us will surely die?

I'm saying it stood out because it's the only shield with a clear meaning so far. The others, I don't know. The garlic? Why with the garlic?! It's good with cheese, yes, but on a shield?

*A peering look, a vague distance in her intent eyes*  No, I am saying that I do not... did not... know that vampires existed.  You say that they do?  How do you know this?

Turn the lands to darkness?  Never, for these lands are not dark, not dark alone.  These lands are dark and light and bright and dim, they are all the things they are and that is what I would have them be, what they are, as true and pure and whole as they are, what they are in their complete wholeness.  What have you against darkness?  Our queen favored black and she favored it strongly, it was her choice amongst all the other choices she could pick.  She loved black so dark it was if she were blind when she saw it.  Who are you, who had been in the service of our Queen, to connect darkness, which our Queen so loved, with vampires or any evil?

I wouldn't doubt, not with such unholy forces rising in the lands, and now even our great regent has gone. If the Queen had an affinity for darkness, it was only to hold it back, and now she is dead I fear a spectral hand is gripping over the realm. Who are you to put aside such concerns so freely? Do you care nothing for the realm?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:14 am »

Everyone: Introducing yourself, even in the most basic of terms, should be treated merely a formality. A formality that I shall have to enforce. If you do not for some reason wish your identity to be known, well, that is how a traitor would behave.

Yes, though we have all known each other for years, circumstances do make this as if a first meeting.  I am Cille Edithsdatter, I have served this Court since shortly after our Queen's coronation, and as all who can see can see, I can barely move around without use of my crutches and I must work hard to make sense of the shapes I see.

I cannot move fast through the world, but I can move slowly.  I cannot see what many say they see, but I do see what I do see.  I have studied color, for color is what I can see best, and that is the service I brought to this Court.  Many of the court, including some of you, wear clothing colored by the bright and fast dyes I found ways to improve; Many of this court's tapestries and, if I am not mistaken, some of your standards show those rich and varied colors I know so well, but my main work has been in the scriptorium, perfecting the inks and gilt which illustrate and complete the books of hours and other illuminated texts.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:32 am »

As I am to be King, for now at least, I should introduce myself more thoroughly to those who have forgotten me. I strongly suggest that you introduce yourselves as well- although rest assured that I do remember who you are. I am Ansgar Danielsen, Lord Magistrate of the South, and before the unfortunate departure of our Queen I was perhaps to be considered the second most powerful person in the land. Given my current status, I should be considered the most powerful by all here gathered.

As before the Queen's death you were second most powerful in the realm - now you have risen to the highest point. Would you say that amongst all of us, you had the most to gain from the Queen's death? Did you have an ambition that stretched beyond your station? If you are a true servant of the realm, you will not strike me down for this.

Vivanius of Austyn is I, servant to the council and our late queen. I will do my duty as I always have.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2014, 07:14:59 am »

As before the Queen's death you were second most powerful in the realm - now you have risen to the highest point. Would you say that amongst all of us, you had the most to gain from the Queen's death? Did you have an ambition that stretched beyond your station? If you are a true servant of the realm, you will not strike me down for this.

Vivanius of Austyn is I, servant to the council and our late queen. I will do my duty as I always have.

I rule only as regent in these stressful times to resolve our current crisis. I have little doubt that once the traitors have been exposed, my duty will be lessened by abdication to the rightful heir. In what capacity, that you claim to wish to continue, did you serve?

Cille- I believe I do know your work,  if not from the clothes I see some of the more opulently dressed attendants wear to my court then certainly by the magnificently coloured book of hours our beloved Queen had sent me as a gift. It would be a shame if you were to have to lose your head, for your work was invaluable in creating much beauty.
I've played some mafia.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2014, 07:28:27 am »

I wouldn't doubt, not with such unholy forces rising in the lands, and now even our great regent has gone. If the Queen had an affinity for darkness, it was only to hold it back, and now she is dead I fear a spectral hand is gripping over the realm. Who are you to put aside such concerns so freely? Do you care nothing for the realm?

*Leans forward, her face scrunched into a squint as she gazes directly at, or perhaps through, Vivianus*

Your words form discordant patterns.  There is naught but cutting, severing, and pain in your speech.  Does grief so rule your mind that agony and despair is all that remains known to you?  The world has evil, yes, it may always have had evil.  But it still has much that is good.

I do not understand how you can listen to my words and ask me if I care nothing for the realm.  I do not understand how you could serve our Queen and view darkness as you say you do.  I am no warrior, as perhaps you are.  The queen selected me, despite my weakness and slowness, and permitted me to serve as I could and bring the gifts and enrichment I could to her court as my service to her.  If there is a hand of evil overstretched across the realm, it is not in me to fight it.  I lack even the eyes which can see such a distant thing.  I can but support and serve as I can.  I asked you before, who you were to view as evil what the queen chose for herself and loved.  I ask you now, who, and what, are you that you believe yourself fit to judge and limit our Queen, to redefine her from what she actually was into some... other... as you would say she was, lessening her to all who hear the falseness you speak?

*An arm is lifted, the hand slowly turning to point towards the black-clad servant*  The Queen chose as the Queen chose, and she decided what she did from a wealth of many options.  What right do you claim to reinterpret the Queen's perceptions and intentions?  She stood against evil - true.  She viewed darkness as evil - false.  That is sister to calling the Queen herself evil; for our Queen chose to wear the Black and nothing any could offer her, though she welcomed her court graced with color, nothing could tempt her to enclose her Person in bright color.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:49 am »

Urist Imiknorris: How are you going to convince the King to execute your enemies?
Ideally, by making my case as strong as possible. Alternatives include weakening other peoples' cases or being king.

Urist Imiknorris:  Why is there a dead creature... a dead... is that a rat!?! on your coat of arms?
It's a possum.

I am Rød Grønsdatter of the House of Possum. We are the country's greatest tinkers and inventors, right up until the civil wars of the 1200s, when we delved underground and pretended to have been wiped out in order to stay out of the conflict. The Queen's diggers unearthed us by accident and I was offered a position on the Council as a historian.

Jim: What's with the heraldry questions? Are you trying to be subtle about your rolefishing?

Caz: What's all this talk about vampires?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2014, 07:33:00 am »

I'm saying it stood out because it's the only shield with a clear meaning so far. The others, I don't know. The garlic? Why with the garlic?! It's good with cheese, yes, but on a shield?

Garlic is what garlic is; distinctly so, explicitly so.  To know garlic is to know garlic.

Why would garlic not be on a shield?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:06 am »

Giovanna da Venezia bows and addresses the current 'king'. "It is not in my place to speak, but from the request of the Queen herself. I am Giovanna, daughter to the artisans of Venice-Denmark's call to aid was heard throughout the lands, and while the call was subtle, the few of us who had contacts-of ties beyond memorable bloodline but in word alone-answered the call. I take up the standard of my people-yet my lands are not in my homeland, but in that given to me by a friend of the Queen."
She presents the story of the Queensguard and on their sigils. The emblem of the rose was of significant note.
"I am of the northern watch. Knights of the borderline against Fortinbras'--second son of the King, Fortinbras, who is a direct descendant to the tyrant of the north, Fortinbras--advances. I only have my sword and shield to serve, Your Majesty, but by virtue of promise and honor am I tied to aid the Queen who in turn, accepted my aid."
The knight looks around, and addresses the general audience.
"And if I may be so humble as to ask to be termed as milady. I...have a knack of being mistaken as a man."

UI
I am Rød Grønsdatter of the House of Possum.
...Why are there similarities with 3 other people? As in, SBC, Toaster and Imp?

Imp:

Garlic is what garlic is; distinctly so, explicitly so.  To know garlic is to know garlic.
...I am so quoting this for posterity.

PFP

Caz
....Were you serious about the vampires or are you pulling it out of...literature?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2014, 08:15:38 am »

I am Rød Grønsdatter of the House of Possum.
...Why are there similarities with 3 other people? As in, SBC, Toaster and Imp?

If you're referring to the 'datter' part, it signifies that the person is the daughter of so and so, much like Danielsen is the son of Daniel.
I've played some mafia.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2014, 08:36:21 am »

Oooo, thanks.

So they're all related, you mean? That could also signify..erm, cousins or such, right?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32