Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Mainspring: Of Airships and Death: Airship Construction and Crew Sign-up Thread.  (Read 29468 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

I have a question. Do the ram's mountings count as another hardened metal wall? And if they do, what happens if a single level of the ram is somehow destroyed?
I'm treating the ram itself as basically one massive object, to keep myself sane.

I'm finally done. Tell me if something's wrong, but here it is, for better or worse. I'll add the ammo and supplies later, after I'm sure I don't need to redo it.
Other than some of your walls are in front of the ram, it looks ok.

@flabort: Unfortunately for you, I'd rather not add new modules to the game. Sorry.

Also, you're insane.
Sorry. I just thought the rule was "no module may be more than half off the floor". I'll fix it. Still, another question: is the whole ram supposed to be on the outside, or only the sharp rammy bit?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Well, the white bits on the back are meant to be the outside walls, so they're meant to connect there.

You don't have to, just keep in mind that you're putting on extra weight with meaningless flooring in front of it that's just going to be reduced to splinters.
The rule of "must be halfway on" doesn't exactly apply to the ram, as it's actually a part of the ship itself.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the white bits on the back are meant to be the outside walls, so they're meant to connect there.

You don't have to, just keep in mind that you're putting on extra weight with meaningless flooring in front of it that's just going to be reduced to splinters.
The rule of "must be halfway on" doesn't exactly apply to the ram, as it's actually a part of the ship itself.
Alright. Fixed it, uploading in a sec. I just thought that only the bit on the front of levels 2-3 was supposed to connect with the enemy, and the rest was moorings to keep it from being knocked off.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright. Fixed it, uploading in a sec. I just thought that only the bit on the front of levels 2-3 was supposed to connect with the enemy, and the rest was moorings to keep it from being knocked off.
That's assuming that you are larger than your target.
Please view flabort's planned ship again and restate this.

Against his current ship that would be fine, though.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Haha, yeah, the Ram I guess is for plowing through Castles like mine. That's what I've been calling it. The Castle.

The same 2 preview images with legit modules instead (but I haven't placed generators or connectors on this version):
Spoiler: On it's own (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: With above layer (click to show/hide)

:P And what tipped you off? Was there ever any assumption my sanity was intact? THIS IS BAY12.  :P
Don't even get me started.
PM me. I'm actually interested.

Edit: Also, looking at the Underslung Gun. Does it require power?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:52:36 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here, fixed. Note that the added walls don't add to the weight total - I added as many walls as I removed. All good now?
Heh. I generally imagined the Souvara in operation would sound something like *thoom**thoom**Whoosh**dakka-dakka-dakka-CRRRRASSSH-CRUNCH-dakka-dakka-dakka*. How heavily armed is that monster going to be? Yeah, I know, dumb question.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:54:31 pm by Avis-Mergulus »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean besides the fact that you're making a flying f%&^ing citadel that would likely put a modern aircraft carrier to shame?

Have you taken into account, even for a second, how many people you would need to man that thing?

Here, fixed. All good now?
Heh. I generally imagined the Souvara in operation would sound something like *thoom**thoom**Whoosh**dakka-dakka-dakka-CRRRRASSSH-CRUNCH-dakka-dakka-dakka*. How heavily armed is that monster going to be? Yeah, I know, dumb question.
Yeah, it looks good now, and if you let me check in a second, I can actually find a relevant quote for that analogy.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, yes, here's the quote from the original thread.

I plan to specialize in RAMMMING SPEED! CANNONS ARE ACCESSORIES TO THE BOW THAT IS FOR RAMMING!
Why not just mount all cannons to face forward? Then you can Ram your dakka plates into them at full auto.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Derail Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, my dakka plate also has sniper cannons for long-range dakkafication. It's balanced. ::)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm honestly surprised that people haven't just mounted harpoon guns next to their ramming plates, so they can keep pulling them in and keep crushing them...

...OH WAIT THEY DID

EDIT:
Edit: Also, looking at the Underslung Gun. Does it require power?
I don't think so.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean besides the fact that you're making a flying f%&^ing citadel that would likely put a modern aircraft carrier to shame?

Have you taken into account, even for a second, how many people you would need to man that thing?

1) Pilot
2) Backup Pilot
3-5) Engineers for repairs
6-10) Gunners/haulers
11) Somewhat Optional Ship's cook
12-13) Somewhat Optional Janitorial
14-17) Mostly Optional Boarding Party
18-20) Mostly Optional Boarder Repelling Party
21-22) Mostly Optional Medical staff
23) Completely Optional Archeologist

Mostly NPCs obviously.
The Cyan Menace

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Optional boarder repelling party? Only four gunners? Psst. Look, a distraction!
*Avis rams flabort and boards!*

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok then, how many people are expected to man your small boats?
You couldn't even fit 23 people on one of those.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the first 10 are the minimal crew. The full 23 is the recommended crew. The capacity is 40 members.
On the small boat, I would expect a pilot, one or two people to man the guns, and optionally someone to maintain it on route. The intent is to avoid direct confrontation, and is not intended for very long journeys. Like a TIE fighter. Except that's what the fighter modules are, so more like Jango Fett's ship or the Millennium Falcon. And then the big ship is a Star Destroyer (NOT a Death Star).

Also, do the stairs require hatches?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:40:53 am by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok then, how many people are expected to man your small boats?
You couldn't even fit 23 people on one of those.
With all due respect, you could. If they stood shoulder to shoulder all the time. Okay, jokes aside, if they sleep downstairs near the sniper cannons, my ship can probably house 23 people. The question is whether it's necessary.
Or do you mean flabort's small boats? I'm easily confuzzled.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:40:42 am by Avis-Mergulus »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14