Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216032 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #660 on: June 20, 2014, 11:53:15 am »

Great! Thanks for the info.

Now, let's see about this armoured panel. I'm assuming it is locked somehow? Is it locked from the inside? Physical locked or electronic lock? Could it be bypassed?

I was thinking that a viable anti-battlesuit strategy (if you want to take one down silently but don't have access to space magic) would be to access that panel and use an Ice Pick to quickly hack the suit and disable it. Would that be possible? Could you use a cutting laser to silently cut into the panel and then stick an Ice pick in there to hack it and disable it, perhaps killing the pilot in the process?

Or would your only hope be pressing the emergency release and hoping whoever driving isn't quick enough to override it?

EDIT: Oh, can I communicate with the people back on Hephaestus?

*looks at RC's answer* Now I'm imagining a giant synthflesh Roc with rockets and electrolasers attached on it.

Wonder if the physics bending abilities of synthflesh can allow them to produce more lift with their wings.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:55:01 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 23, 2014, 12:26:09 am »

Rarely, but they do exist. More then likely you'll see them with local governments, ones that aren't using rockets and hard suits and giant synthflesh things for almost everything.

Could you give an explanation as to why this is? Is it because threats that aren't dealt with through orbital bombardment are engaged at close range?

Also, what do you mean exactly with 'rockets' in this context? Guided missiles, stuff like LESHO?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #662 on: June 23, 2014, 09:08:02 am »

Rarely, but they do exist. More then likely you'll see them with local governments, ones that aren't using rockets and hard suits and giant synthflesh things for almost everything.

Could you give an explanation as to why this is? Is it because threats that aren't dealt with through orbital bombardment are engaged at close range?

Also, what do you mean exactly with 'rockets' in this context? Guided missiles, stuff like LESHO?

Multiple reasons, not all of them good.

1.because they have tons left over.
2.Because they have huge factories and built up systems for creating these things.
3.Because they've become used to just throwing troops at something till it's solved, so while this stuff might be worse in some instances then a tank or a bomber, they don't give a shit because things still get done eventually.
4.Because usually the only things they don't just shoot from space are the things that they want to take without much damage, so infantry and hardsuits make sense.

The UWM is a big organization with a lot of "Momentum", they do things the way they're used to doing them, even if there are better ways.

Great! Thanks for the info.

Now, let's see about this armoured panel. I'm assuming it is locked somehow? Is it locked from the inside? Physical locked or electronic lock? Could it be bypassed?

I was thinking that a viable anti-battlesuit strategy (if you want to take one down silently but don't have access to space magic) would be to access that panel and use an Ice Pick to quickly hack the suit and disable it. Would that be possible? Could you use a cutting laser to silently cut into the panel and then stick an Ice pick in there to hack it and disable it, perhaps killing the pilot in the process?

Or would your only hope be pressing the emergency release and hoping whoever driving isn't quick enough to override it?

EDIT: Oh, can I communicate with the people back on Hephaestus?

*looks at RC's answer* Now I'm imagining a giant synthflesh Roc with rockets and electrolasers attached on it.

Wonder if the physics bending abilities of synthflesh can allow them to produce more lift with their wings.

The only way to open it is a physical internal switch. The panel itself is secured with 4 locking pins (one on each corner) and the entire armor plate that covers it pops off so you can get access to it. When not open the armor panel sits flush and has basically no space between the armor and the hatch that someone could use to pry it open.

Well, lasers don't work too well on battlesuits, plus the suit's sensors would alert the pilot.

You can talk to them sure.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 23, 2014, 10:28:41 am »

Multiple reasons, not all of them good.

1.because they have tons left over.
2.Because they have huge factories and built up systems for creating these things.
3.Because they've become used to just throwing troops at something till it's solved, so while this stuff might be worse in some instances then a tank or a bomber, they don't give a shit because things still get done eventually.
4.Because usually the only things they don't just shoot from space are the things that they want to take without much damage, so infantry and hardsuits make sense.

The UWM is a big organization with a lot of "Momentum", they do things the way they're used to doing them, even if there are better ways.

In your (or Steve's) opinion, would ARM in general benefit from designing and using tanks and other armored vehicles? Will there be engagements where ARM could really benefit from having them? Would this influence the actual outcome, or just be a fluff thing?

Secondly, same question, but specifically for us the players. Will we ever be on missions where using them makes good sense, or would they exclusively be a "behind the scenes" thing?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:36:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #664 on: June 25, 2014, 08:37:08 am »

I remember asking you once, and you said that while Battlesuit's couldn't be controlled via their internal keyboard, they could be easily allowed to do that with some modifications. What kind of modifications would those be? Simply writing a program for it or something more complex, like rewiring the control cuffs?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #665 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:54 am »

Depends on the situation, honestly. I mean, design and use armored vehicles ourselves? Maybe, but honestly a tank really doesn't have the mobility needed for most of our missions. However, designing them and then shipping them out to any of our allies or friendly planets (If we ever get any) could be helpful to them.

I doubt there will be many missions where tanks will really fit in well, to be honest.

I remember asking you once, and you said that while Battlesuit's couldn't be controlled via their internal keyboard, they could be easily allowed to do that with some modifications. What kind of modifications would those be? Simply writing a program for it or something more complex, like rewiring the control cuffs?
You'd have to map control of the mechanical drive systems to the keyboard and then use individual keys to control extension or retraction. Basically, each limb is controlled via the extension, retraction or rotation of actuators or electromotive cuffs. You would have to map each of these actuators and cuffs to a key or pair of keys and control them like that. The actual act of programing this is easy, but controlling it like that is quite difficult. Sure, you can move one arm around without much difficulty, if you practice it, but the whole body? Much harder.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 25, 2014, 01:52:11 pm »

Depends on the situation, honestly. I mean, design and use armored vehicles ourselves? Maybe, but honestly a tank really doesn't have the mobility needed for most of our missions. However, designing them and then shipping them out to any of our allies or friendly planets (If we ever get any) could be helpful to them.

I doubt there will be many missions where tanks will really fit in well, to be honest.

Question, have you read the discussion in the ooc thread about armored vehicles? Because the mobility issue was addressed there, and basically, a tank should have a good bit more mobility than a battlesuit of similar proportions, except in tight urban settings. If not, would you be willing to skim the arguments at least (it starts here)?

Secondly, do you think there will be big combat missions again like the Hep defense? I know that didn't work out really as we hoped it would, so I understand if you'd rather not.
  EDIT: sorted out in dj chat, nevermind.

Thirdly, if we build vehicles for our allies, what kind of vehicles would they benefit the most from? Fast hit-and-run things, stuff for urban operations, utility vehicles like anti-air platforms?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:40:19 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #667 on: June 27, 2014, 07:32:49 am »

Back to my Terror Drone project:

Let's try two different approaches.
First one, is the Ant approach:
Make thousands of tiny bots. Nothing more than a small battery/generator, some tiny scout-eye like legs and a small receiver for remote control.
For offensive capabilities just make them able to bite things and electrocute them or swarm something and then kamikaze by short-circuiting their powersource (or detonating a small explosive if their powersource can't do that).
Release them in a medium sized UWM ship with orders to kill the crew. See what happens.
Since they have no ability to bypass obstacles, make it so that all doors are stuck open for some reason.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #668 on: June 28, 2014, 11:14:30 am »

Question, have you read the discussion in the ooc thread about armored vehicles? Because the mobility issue was addressed there, and basically, a tank should have a good bit more mobility than a battlesuit of similar proportions, except in tight urban settings. If not, would you be willing to skim the arguments at least (it starts here)?

Secondly, do you think there will be big combat missions again like the Hep defense? I know that didn't work out really as we hoped it would, so I understand if you'd rather not.
  EDIT: sorted out in dj chat, nevermind.

Thirdly, if we build vehicles for our allies, what kind of vehicles would they benefit the most from? Fast hit-and-run things, stuff for urban operations, utility vehicles like anti-air platforms?

Depends on their situation, but the best would probably be urban troop carriers and tanks, as artillery and larger guns will probably be prebuilt and stationary. At least in terms of armored, wheeled ground units.

Make thousands of tiny bots. Nothing more than a small battery/generator, some tiny scout-eye like legs and a small receiver for remote control.
For offensive capabilities just make them able to bite things and electrocute them or swarm something and then kamikaze by short-circuiting their powersource (or detonating a small explosive if their powersource can't do that).
Release them in a medium sized UWM ship with orders to kill the crew. See what happens.
Since they have no ability to bypass obstacles, make it so that all doors are stuck open for some reason.

Do you want to have them run into any type of resistance? Because a one armed sod could take a ship with no one resisting. 

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 28, 2014, 11:15:49 am »

one armed sod

Design a Sod that's actually a slot machine.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #670 on: June 28, 2014, 01:47:55 pm »

Do you want to have them run into any type of resistance? Because a one armed sod could take a ship with no one resisting.
Just what they'd find on a ship, like the ones we took over. Except for doors. Assume doors aren't locked and can't be locked and that the robots can push the buttons to open them. I would also like to remind you that it doesn't take much to electrocute someone to death:
As my electrical safety instructor said, "The reason we now have to teach the electrical safety course to all electricians at least twice per year is because some joe was bright enough to be the one person in the world who could figure out how to kill himself with a 9V battery."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 28, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »

((No offense paris, but I don't think it would be wise to continue designing until you find a way around the door problem, or at least verify your drones can deal with them one way or another. Because it seems like wishful thinking that they won't form a problem like your current simulation assumes.))

And in terms of aerial weapons and vehicles, would these be useful? And if yes, what would be the ones we should focus on? Drones, gunships, strike fighters?

Secondly, have you read that idea for a 'guerrilla sod'? Woild it be possible, and if yes, would it be useful?

For the record, It was this:

(( Random idea:

Remember that speech sod thing somebody proposed? Has anyone looked into that? Because, if it's possible, then there are interesting things we could do.

For example, grow a sod to be charismatic, good at organizing and fluent with words and such. Then train him in things like guerrilla tactics, terrorist operations and organizing a rebel force.

Then send these around the galaxy to UWM worlds so they can rally the locals around them and train them in rebel tactics and advise them how to best fight against the UWM. Kinda like what the US and Soviet secret services did in the Cold war: send advisors to train others to fight their wars on their own, weakening the enemy in the progress. Basically letting them fight our war for us!

Of course, if those covert agents aren't able to convince the rebels to join ARM later on then we're just weakening the UWM while potentially training the future insurgents we'll have to fight ourselves (because, for example, we really need that particular planet). Exactly like with the Mujahedin!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #672 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:30 pm »

((If you're designing something, shouldn't you first make sure the basic idea behind it works, before going to specifics? Because spending a few turns designing a way to breach doors only to find that overall the original idea was stupid sounds like a waste of time to me. Better to just rule out the overall idea as stupid or not in the first place and then work out the specifics.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 28, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »

((Huh, I thought your idea had moved beyond the proof-of-concept stage already, since I remember you working on it a lot before. If not, then yeah, checking if it's at all possible first is best. Just seemed you were already very specific to still be in this stage of design.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #674 on: June 30, 2014, 09:23:49 am »

((No offense paris, but I don't think it would be wise to continue designing until you find a way around the door problem, or at least verify your drones can deal with them one way or another. Because it seems like wishful thinking that they won't form a problem like your current simulation assumes.))

And in terms of aerial weapons and vehicles, would these be useful? And if yes, what would be the ones we should focus on? Drones, gunships, strike fighters?

Secondly, have you read that idea for a 'guerrilla sod'? Woild it be possible, and if yes, would it be useful?

For the record, It was this:

(( Random idea:

Remember that speech sod thing somebody proposed? Has anyone looked into that? Because, if it's possible, then there are interesting things we could do.

For example, grow a sod to be charismatic, good at organizing and fluent with words and such. Then train him in things like guerrilla tactics, terrorist operations and organizing a rebel force.

Then send these around the galaxy to UWM worlds so they can rally the locals around them and train them in rebel tactics and advise them how to best fight against the UWM. Kinda like what the US and Soviet secret services did in the Cold war: send advisors to train others to fight their wars on their own, weakening the enemy in the progress. Basically letting them fight our war for us!

Of course, if those covert agents aren't able to convince the rebels to join ARM later on then we're just weakening the UWM while potentially training the future insurgents we'll have to fight ourselves (because, for example, we really need that particular planet). Exactly like with the Mujahedin!
Aerial vehicles: you'd probably be split between UAV's for surveillance and recon and heavy aircraft for carpet bombing. No real use of fighters for the most part, since the UWM sure as hell doesn't have any big fat b52's to shoot down.

It might potentially be possible but making a sod charismatic is like making a bulldog into a gray hound: you're essentially flipping their type. And you get the possiblity of rebellion since they'd have to be at least somewhat smart in order to convince people of things. Idiot savant rhetoricians would be very odd indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 127