Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216022 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #885 on: January 06, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »

Create sharkmist nanobots that're really good at eating things but can't procreate and have a limited lifespan before 'burning out'. Have them activate when they don't receive a (radio)signal (or another system, just train of thought here) which is created from a weak short ranged source in the weapon. Put it into modified chem thrower, maybe with carrier matrix. Spray stream of bots at things and watch them dissolve before your very eyes!

Just curious, but would something like this be possible? And more in general, what about programming or designing bots with certain properties to do stuff we need it to?
Hmmm. I'm rather nervous about allowing people to mess with them because I feel it might end in

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 07, 2015, 03:19:33 am »

Create sharkmist nanobots that're really good at eating things but can't procreate and have a limited lifespan before 'burning out'. Have them activate when they don't receive a (radio)signal (or another system, just train of thought here) which is created from a weak short ranged source in the weapon. Put it into modified chem thrower, maybe with carrier matrix. Spray stream of bots at things and watch them dissolve before your very eyes!

Just curious, but would something like this be possible? And more in general, what about programming or designing bots with certain properties to do stuff we need it to?
Hmmm. I'm rather nervous about allowing people to mess with them because I feel it might end in

And even if we won't be allowed to use them, how versatile would they be, theoretically? What kinda stuff can they, or can they not, do?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #887 on: January 07, 2015, 02:19:02 pm »

And even if we won't be allowed to use them, how versatile would they be, theoretically? What kinda stuff can they, or can they not, do?
Theoretically? Very versitile. Any kind of nano machines or similar tech would be very powerful and useful if used right. Even if restrained by certain conditions, the ability manipulate and build like they would permit a lot of stuff not otherwise available to you. Especially if you can get them to work internally like Milno did.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 12, 2015, 07:59:02 am »

One thing you could try for active defense is making an automanip that, in a radius of x meter at a distance of y, changes the vector of all moving particles with a few degrees. That would effectively make them miss their target, and you could set the automanip on a very precise gimbal inside the ship to target stuff.

Say, pw, would this principle work, you think? As in, do we have sensors and computers precise enough to pull of such active automanip defense? Idea would be to 'target' automanips so they don't have to cover a large amount of space.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #889 on: January 15, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »

One thing you could try for active defense is making an automanip that, in a radius of x meter at a distance of y, changes the vector of all moving particles with a few degrees. That would effectively make them miss their target, and you could set the automanip on a very precise gimbal inside the ship to target stuff.

Say, pw, would this principle work, you think? As in, do we have sensors and computers precise enough to pull of such active automanip defense? Idea would be to 'target' automanips so they don't have to cover a large amount of space.
In other words, have an automanip that projects an effect in, say, a cone out in front of it. And stick that automanip on a gimble and use the gimble to swing the automanip around, pointing the effect where you want? That seems possible. Though It does complicate the mechanism a bit and give more points for it to fail. It would be very bad if one of the actuators failed during an assault, for instance.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 15, 2015, 01:42:05 pm »

In other words, have an automanip that projects an effect in, say, a cone out in front of it. And stick that automanip on a gimble and use the gimble to swing the automanip around, pointing the effect where you want? That seems possible. Though It does complicate the mechanism a bit and give more points for it to fail. It would be very bad if one of the actuators failed during an assault, for instance.

hmm, I see. The reason for aiming the automanip would be so that the manip doesn't need to cover quite such a vast amount of space, thereby making it cheaper/smaller. But that doesn indeed introduce a point of failure in the system.

What do you think about it? Is the decrease in automanip 'power'/potential great enough to warrant the risk?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #891 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:23 pm »

hmm, I see. The reason for aiming the automanip would be so that the manip doesn't need to cover quite such a vast amount of space, thereby making it cheaper/smaller. But that doesn indeed introduce a point of failure in the system.

What do you think about it? Is the decrease in automanip 'power'/potential great enough to warrant the risk?

That depends on the application, honestly. Somethings could theoretically be helped by that reduction, but then you have things like the defensive systems which simply don't have time to realign themselves in reaction to being hit, since those hits are either going at the speed of light or very close to it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 17, 2015, 06:59:35 am »

That depends on the application, honestly. Somethings could theoretically be helped by that reduction, but then you have things like the defensive systems which simply don't have time to realign themselves in reaction to being hit, since those hits are either going at the speed of light or very close to it.

I'm not sure I understand you fully here. Realign in reaction to being hit? As in, can't target them before they hit the ship, or re-target after the ship being hit?

As far as I understand, if you know where the enemy is, then you can predict the path a solid round would take to reach your ship, no? Meaning that you just point the automanip in the direction of the enemy fleet (and set the cone of your defensive field wide enough), so that any round fired by them crosses its cone of deflection, thereby protecting the ship. And if you wanna shoot them yourself, you point the manip away from the front for a sec, fire, then re-aim the defense at them. How fast they go doesn't matter, since an automanip is 'always on' (eg those automanip shields Bishop has don't need to be turned on at the right moment to deflect an incoming round) so you don't care how fast the round is going, as long as you know where it's coming from. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #893 on: January 17, 2015, 12:46:38 pm »

I'm not sure I understand you fully here. Realign in reaction to being hit? As in, can't target them before they hit the ship, or re-target after the ship being hit?

As far as I understand, if you know where the enemy is, then you can predict the path a solid round would take to reach your ship, no? Meaning that you just point the automanip in the direction of the enemy fleet (and set the cone of your defensive field wide enough), so that any round fired by them crosses its cone of deflection, thereby protecting the ship. And if you wanna shoot them yourself, you point the manip away from the front for a sec, fire, then re-aim the defense at them. How fast they go doesn't matter, since an automanip is 'always on' (eg those automanip shields Bishop has don't need to be turned on at the right moment to deflect an incoming round) so you don't care how fast the round is going, as long as you know where it's coming from. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

As in a defensive shield made using these things isn't gonna function because that laser is gonna hit and do damage before the manip can swivel around  to aim at it.

I am, of course, assuming you're not just fighting a single ship. If you're fighting a single ship or even a handful coming at you from a similar position, thats fine. But what about if they aren't all coming from the same direction? Or firing simultaneously? Best outcome there is splitting the systems, pointing one over there, the other over there, the third over there, etc. But that splits the effectiveness.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 17, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »

As in a defensive shield made using these things isn't gonna function because that laser is gonna hit and do damage before the manip can swivel around  to aim at it.

I am, of course, assuming you're not just fighting a single ship. If you're fighting a single ship or even a handful coming at you from a similar position, thats fine. But what about if they aren't all coming from the same direction? Or firing simultaneously? Best outcome there is splitting the systems, pointing one over there, the other over there, the third over there, etc. But that splits the effectiveness.

((You're getting at the fact that we need specialized ships to handle deflection. :P

More seriously, the LDA system in the universe I wanted to snag the idea from, has the same limitations. Every "shield" can track only one threat - even then it can only track a half-sphere, so two shields covering the entire ship can't track two threats from the same direction. The idea is to maneuver, dodge, and ideally keep more than one ship from firing at you at a given time from a given direction.

Also, this system can't deflect lasers, at least in that universe. Too fast to intercept. But, lasers we can in theory defend against - more easily than against kinetic slugs, at least, in ER.

Also also, if you have ships coming at you from different directions and don't have some ships of your own to occupy the ships flanking you, you're boned regardless of the defense tech you're using. Having defenses is not an excuse to go waltzing into a skirmish with a sniper rifle.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 19, 2015, 11:59:31 am »

I was kinda assuming we were talking kinetics, since we have extremely laser absorbent materials available. Though even then, the principle stands: if you have an 'always on' automanip, you don't care how fast the enemy hits, as long as you can spot the ship before they fire (and they need to spot you before they can fire anyway) and aim the defenses.

And even then, there should be ways to make it work. How about this: a lone ship in the middle of the fleet projecting a spherical defense with an automanip. To cut down on the volume it needs to cover (and thus, lower manip requirements) you only 'fill up' the outer shell of the sphere. So, eg a 10km sphere would only have the outer shell of about 100m diameter as an 'active zone'. That'd mean 4188 km3 is covered, but the automanip influence/effect volume only is 4188 - 4064 = 124km3. And the effect needed is only minimal, just pushing the projectile/particles (lasers are photons, so it might work for both) 10° perpendicular to the traveling axis. If you then place your fleet within a 9km sphere around that central ship (3053 km3 to deploy ships in), every shot will miss by at least 176m.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 05, 2015, 04:47:20 pm »

Okay, let's finish the deal with MCP-II. May Simus/Pyro ever forgive me.
MCP-I plus medical systems of Mk II sans the irises (the neck one gets added, though) plus a small tank of fleshknitter (just in case you forgot, that regenerative "fill the wound to the brim with stem cells" substance, cost 5 tokens per can). How much would it cost?

Also, let's check something new that might be useful. Let's say we add the lower half - legs, to be precise - of an exosketon stripped down to 1/3 or maybe even 1/5 of original might (use the new models, of course). The idea here is that they'd assist with walking, running and jumping, taking away some of the fatigue and increasing the metrics - i.e. jumping higher, running faster, and so on. Would that very toned-down cut exoskeleton version increase the suit cost much? What if it was sold separately?
Oh, and add the wall-walking soles re-engineered from Nekarios's Doctor-upgraded mechanic legs. You know, those that originally were spidery many, and ended up a mere human-like pair.

((Mostly intended for regular army foot-infantry use where simple endurance means a lot. But wall-walking is useful to everyone. Discussion and criticism welcome! ...In Heph OOC thread, I suppose.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:03 pm »

Well, if we're doing this...

Would it be possible to create exact duplicates of artifacts by developing a sort of spess magic scanner? Idea would be it just creates an exact duplicate of something. Not for actually mass producing things, but for creating a back up so testing can be done it bit more freely.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #898 on: February 05, 2015, 06:28:24 pm »

Would it be possible to create exact duplicates of artifacts by developing a sort of spess magic scanner? Idea would be it just creates an exact duplicate of something. Not for actually mass producing things, but for creating a back up so testing can be done it bit more freely.

There is the precision duplicator automanipulator, although I'm not sure if it works with non-human space magic or what adverse effects combining different kinds of space magic might have. And I bet it would be kind of expensive to build or at least rare, since it's one of the special things we need Steve to import for the space magic facility.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #899 on: February 06, 2015, 12:38:31 pm »

It depends on the artifact. Something which is fairly mundane, like the Hex material or Samsonite abyss sand or that kind of thing could be copied. But something like the alien power source that hates milno or the deathcube couldn't be. Well, they could be but the copy would either be inferior or completely lack the original's "special" capacities.

Okay, let's finish the deal with MCP-II. May Simus/Pyro ever forgive me.
MCP-I plus medical systems of Mk II sans the irises (the neck one gets added, though) plus a small tank of fleshknitter (just in case you forgot, that regenerative "fill the wound to the brim with stem cells" substance, cost 5 tokens per can). How much would it cost?

Also, let's check something new that might be useful. Let's say we add the lower half - legs, to be precise - of an exosketon stripped down to 1/3 or maybe even 1/5 of original might (use the new models, of course). The idea here is that they'd assist with walking, running and jumping, taking away some of the fatigue and increasing the metrics - i.e. jumping higher, running faster, and so on. Would that very toned-down cut exoskeleton version increase the suit cost much? What if it was sold separately?
Oh, and add the wall-walking soles re-engineered from Nekarios's Doctor-upgraded mechanic legs. You know, those that originally were spidery many, and ended up a mere human-like pair.

((Mostly intended for regular army foot-infantry use where simple endurance means a lot. But wall-walking is useful to everyone. Discussion and criticism welcome! ...In Heph OOC thread, I suppose.))
forgive me, but I forget what the MCP-I is, specifically in how it's different from a normal MKI

It would probably increase it by a token, but at 1/5th you'd be getting very small returns in most instances.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 127