Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216010 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #1020 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:18 am »

Hold on, if I'm getting this right (And I most certainly am not) You mean to use a small shard of Bludarite to output enough energy to Plasma-ise a solid material gradually, then that plasma is accelerated out through the nozzle?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 02, 2015, 09:54:16 am »

Hold on, if I'm getting this right (And I most certainly am not) You mean to use a small shard of Bludarite to output enough energy to Plasma-ise a solid material gradually, then that plasma is accelerated out through the nozzle?

More like feed a small shard of bluraditite or whatever it is to the manipulator in a plasma cannon modified to slowly plasmarize the feed material, then accelerate that plasma out the nozzle (magnetic nozzle generated by the same plasma cannon innards, I bet). Watch out for backblast, because of the Kzinti lesson - plasma exhaust would be very... unpleasant to be bathed in.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:56:06 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 02, 2015, 09:55:42 am »

I did research on plasma weapons a while back, in case you wanna pursue this line of research. The results were... Less than promising though.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:40 am »

I did research on plasma weapons a while back, in case you wanna pursue this line of research. The results were... Less than promising though.

Not plasma weapons, just plasma motors. We know they work (magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters are a thing in reality), but I think Sean's method sounds hilariously expensive (and may not even work - depends on how he modified the manipulator for the magnetic nozzle).

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 02, 2015, 10:02:28 am »

Kay then, just pointing it out in case it came up.

By the way, any of the hepheads that would particularly like to work on the teleporter gun that's coming in?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:19 am »

Not using a manipulator. Anton's made a Plasma Stake - basically a melee weapon that plasmarizes a solid metal slug and fires it forward like a spike instead of bothering with containing it as a plasmoid. He'd be turning /that/ into an engine, no modification of any manipulators required, just custom work on magnetic nozzles.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1026 on: April 02, 2015, 11:04:10 am »

Suggestion: Take the battlesuit's or MK3's fuel and add a flamethrower attachment. For the battlesuit, it should look something like this. EDIT: It would obviously consume its 45 miles worth of fuel fairly quickly though. EDIT2: Oh, and make it turn around for those ridiculous rocket powered punches. Because why not.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:14:00 am by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 02, 2015, 05:08:07 pm »

Oi, Tyrar. Where exactly did 'plasma thrusters' come up? As far as I can tell you've never mentioned how these rockets actually work.

oh, yeah. That idea sounded cooler at 5 am than it really is, as you pointed out. Standard liquid fuel rockets(using ER verse better fuels) should still get the range I want
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:35 pm »

Oi, Tyrar. Where exactly did 'plasma thrusters' come up? As far as I can tell you've never mentioned how these rockets actually work.

oh, yeah. That idea sounded cooler at 5 am than it really is, as you pointed out. Standard liquid fuel rockets(using ER verse better fuels) should still get the range I want

Missiles like that typically use solid rocket motors, and for a reason. Liquid fuels have issues, even ER-verse ones. They have a bit lower performance, but are much more predictable, stable, and so, so much cheaper (I've been assuming that solid rockets were the idea since the start, with that low missile price).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:30:21 pm by PyroDesu »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 02, 2015, 05:32:23 pm »

Missiles like that typically use solid rocket motors, and for a reason. Liquid fuels have issues, even ER-verse ones. They have a bit lower performance, but are much more predictable, stable, and so, so much cheaper (I've been assuming that solid rockets were the idea since the start, with that low missile price).

Point. so solid fueled rockets then(even then should have good range)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 02, 2015, 07:59:10 pm »

Well, the Stinger has an effective range of about 4.8km, so between 5 and 6 might be reasonable (this is, after all, the future!). Would vary dependent on warhead (nuclear warheads will reduce the range, call it 4km).

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:58 pm »

Well, the Stinger has an effective range of about 4.8km, so between 5 and 6 might be reasonable (this is, after all, the future!). Would vary dependent on warhead (nuclear warheads will reduce the range, call it 4km).

Still outside the range of a 1/8th kiloton's kill radius(even for the dangerous radiation!), but as you pointed, out, need to remeber to design as if the most braindead person on the team would be operating it. As Steve said "Assume your teammates are utter morons who'll accidentally kill you if you trust them with anything more deadly than a spoon. A dull spoon."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 02, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »

Why does it need such a large range?  That's just gonna make ammo more expensive.  1.5 km would be fine, even for a 1/8 kiloton, considering even our basic suits have radiation shielding and are resistant to light fragments.

We practically never fight anywhere that a 6 km range is useful anyway.  It might be realistic, but it's not necessary for us.  Cheapness, however, is.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 02, 2015, 08:33:37 pm »

Why does it need such a large range?  That's just gonna make ammo more expensive.  1.5 km would be fine, even for a 1/8 kiloton, considering even our basic suits have radiation shielding and are resistant to light fragments.

We practically never fight anywhere that a 6 km range is useful anyway.  It might be realistic, but it's not necessary for us.  Cheapness, however, is.

The launcher already is just a couple tokens(plus an exoskeleton), so 2 tokens for missiles isn't THAT much. Suggestions though for cheapening things are always welcome(maybe smaller missiles wouldn't be out of the question).

I just don't want to bug PW with exact measurements on things like range values for missile sizes, since he's stated he really hates that and would rather ballpark it. If we can get 1 token missiles by make them smaller and shorter ranged, cool. if making shorter missiles doesn't affect the price, then well...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1034 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:49 pm »

Long range could be useful for sod forces, especially if they had to fight something large, like an Avatar of War or Titan. Although I guess at that point using a Gauss Cannon or a LESHO would be better against the space magic armour of sythflesh, since it could probably embed itself into the enemy's synthflesh and cause more damage that way, like a firework exploding in your closed hand.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 127