Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 214768 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #1050 on: April 05, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »

Well, here I am.

Hmm... Now then...

Magnets Manipulators, how do they work?

Specifically, the Vector Field Manip. I've heard and read that manipulators (aside from automanips, which only do one thing anyway) can't be computer controlled, but could they be computer controlled if the function was severely limited? Similar to an automanip, but the function or intensity can vary slightly based on situation. For example, holding an object up at a specific distance, but the computer can change the distance depending on inputs.

eh, we aren't allowed to mod manips. Many people have tried to comp control them, and even if you restrict them somehow I doubt that's gonna change, especially after the recent change where its more explicit we're using brains to power them.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1051 on: April 05, 2015, 02:16:36 pm »

Oh well, never mind then. I was planning on making a drone that hovers through use of manips to keep size and noise down.

Back to the drawing board...
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:54 pm »

Oh well, never mind then. I was planning on making a drone that hovers through use of manips to keep size and noise down.

Back to the drawing board...

A custom ordered automanip would work, but that's redundant now since scout eyes are now 3 to a pack for one credit
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1053 on: April 05, 2015, 02:24:42 pm »

You can't exactly mount a gun to a cam-eye though, can you?

I wonder what keeps the softball sized combat drones in the air.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:29:23 pm by Dutrius »
Sig text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 05, 2015, 02:29:01 pm »

You can't exactly mount a gun to a cam-eye though, can you?

Ah, you want something for combat, not scouting. We have drone pallets that have small cheap combat drones, you could get one of those

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1055 on: April 05, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »

They're a little small though...

I was thinking of something like a Gunner bot that can fly and is armed with a heavy laser, something like the Raduga, but with a more restricted wavelength range.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:34:29 pm by Dutrius »
Sig text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:50 pm »

They're a little small though...

They're rocket powered as well though, is why they're so cheap. In general, any solution that relies on automanips is going to quickly balloon in costs past the point of practicality

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1057 on: April 05, 2015, 02:37:50 pm »

Alright then, how about fixing some hardpoints on the sides, on which quadcopter style rotors can be fixed for in-atmosphere use, or rocket pods for non atmospheric use.
Sig text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 05, 2015, 02:40:59 pm »

Alright then, how about fixing some hardpoints on the sides, on which quadcopter style rotors can be fixed for in-atmosphere use, or rocket pods for non atmospheric use.

huh, not sure how practical that is. Don't get me wrong, it is a smart idea, but you're going to run into problems with getting the rotors to work properly, and even making this modular might make this too expensive for what is essentially something pretty much disposable(while you ideally want to reuse it, plan on it getting shot and destroyed in the first 10 minute of missions)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1059 on: April 05, 2015, 03:58:56 pm »

Ok, I've been thinking. The heavy laser looks a bit too heavy, at least if we want to attempt to recover the drone when it goes down and no one has an exoskeleton.
I'm thinking of reducing the laser to a Spektr sort of thing.
I don't really want rocket pods on it if it can be helped. An exploding fuel tank is generally less survivable/salvageable than a relatively low speed crash due to loss of a rotor.

Is there some sort of robotic pack animal thing that could help carrying stuff around? I'm thinking a hexapedal robot designed purely to lug stuff around. It has no weapon and only light armour, if any.
It could come with internal storage compartments for additional equipment and interesting artefacts/shiny rocks, and maybe mounts on top for landing drones on to save power/fuel or to recover drones after they get downed.
Sig text

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 05, 2015, 04:57:05 pm »

Hardpoints are somewhat expensive as well at 5 tokens a pop.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 05, 2015, 10:46:18 pm »

Ok, I've been thinking. The heavy laser looks a bit too heavy, at least if we want to attempt to recover the drone when it goes down and no one has an exoskeleton.
I'm thinking of reducing the laser to a Spektr sort of thing.
I don't really want rocket pods on it if it can be helped. An exploding fuel tank is generally less survivable/salvageable than a relatively low speed crash due to loss of a rotor.

Is there some sort of robotic pack animal thing that could help carrying stuff around? I'm thinking a hexapedal robot designed purely to lug stuff around. It has no weapon and only light armour, if any.
It could come with internal storage compartments for additional equipment and interesting artefacts/shiny rocks, and maybe mounts on top for landing drones on to save power/fuel or to recover drones after they get downed.

There are robots that can be used as a packmule yes. Just ask the AM for options. As for your drone...basically, you want a drone that has more punch than the softball ones with basically hand lasers, and more survivability. Hate to say it, unless you want it to be unaffordable, you either are going to have to go with rockets after all or quadcopter design and accept you can't bring it with you on all missions, as those are your most cost effective options. As well, I'd recommend settling for a simple 2 token laser rifle or modified Red Hand so it doesn't increse the cost past what you'd be comfortable losing, since it's likely you'd be paying for this yourself.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 05, 2015, 11:26:27 pm »

DP to post yet another brainstorm I had(I'm just a fountain of ideas!)

Landspeeder Hoverbike

Stat req: Aux +1

Basically nothing more than a seat, some framing, 4 electric ducted fans just powerful enough to lift the whole thing 10 feet in the air or so, and a generator to power it, this hoverbike is miles safer than the rocketbike(in that you're very unlikely to blow up in a fireball if something looks at you funny), although it cannot be used in a no atmosphere environment.

Can the council pricecheck this as well?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 06, 2015, 01:09:27 am »

You want to make a quadcopter that can carry a heavy weapon?

Back at the start of this very thread, I did the preliminary work on a quad (or hex, can't remember) copter which could lift a cutting laser, and a generator to power it.  Not sure on the cost, but I wanna say 5-7 for the copter?  I don't remember.  It was also unarmored, but could snipe from 1000m and was extremly mobile, so I didn't see that as an issue.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:31 am »

DP to post yet another brainstorm I had(I'm just a fountain of ideas!)

Landspeeder Hoverbike

Stat req: Aux +1

Basically nothing more than a seat, some framing, 4 electric ducted fans just powerful enough to lift the whole thing 10 feet in the air or so, and a generator to power it, this hoverbike is miles safer than the rocketbike(in that you're very unlikely to blow up in a fireball if something looks at you funny), although it cannot be used in a no atmosphere environment.

Can the council pricecheck this as well?

Have you run this by pw? What did he say? Give irc chat logs if possible.

I think this would be possible, but I'm not sure if it's such a good idea. What exactly is it for? Does it really need to be able to carry a person?

Oh, and if it gets hit, you'll still go careening down to the ground to become the spread on a pavement sandwich.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:45:48 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 127