Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216090 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1215 on: July 09, 2015, 08:18:31 pm »

Scalpels are good at extracting things.
Oooh! Since Tryrar semi-challenged me to make a competing shuttle design around Project Orion drives (it's all in the IRC logs!), I now have an opportunity to make a design with that name!
Bonus points if it utilises force blades for both offense and defence.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1216 on: July 09, 2015, 09:27:48 pm »

Oooh! Since Tryrar semi-challenged me to make a competing shuttle design around Project Orion drives (it's all in the IRC logs!), I now have an opportunity to make a design with that name!
Make it use those anti space magic rods to stab reality as a means of reactionless propulsion.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 09, 2015, 10:06:45 pm »

Make it use those anti space magic rods to stab reality as a means of reactionless propulsion.
That wouldnt work... those rods repel space magic, not reality.

I did have an idea to improve seans turbofan suit though, not really cost effective but meh.

If you create a postage stamp sized forcefield anchor and surround it with a frictionless bearing you can rotate it at ludicrous speeds for a fraction of the energy a normal turbofan would require. This means that if you generate propellor shaped forcefields and put a cover over the front to catch the wind and pull you forward you could get unlimited flight time and increased top speed without needing to worry about including bulky battery packs and the like.

Actually... would rotating a forcfield generate thrust and impart it on the anchor?
I assumed it wouldnt (hence pushing air instead of pulling) because they arent physically linked, but they do have some form of meta-physical connection holding them a set distance apart...

So the question is, would the forcefield simply displace air and remain immobile? Or would the whole setup just pick itself up and fly off into the distance?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:20:51 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1218 on: July 10, 2015, 05:52:51 am »

And finally, question: if we coated a Hammer cannon round with those anti-spess magic rods, would that allow the round to negate a cap ship's automanip defenses and hit it anyway?
Remember that our cannons use space magic to fire. Insulating a shell against space magic would make it hard to fire. Not to mention that firing a moving field like that...oh dear. Just stick a knife in reality's belly and yank upwards why don't you.
No, see? It can definitely stab reality. :P

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 10, 2015, 05:59:35 am »

There's one interesting idea for planetary scale weapon of mass destruction. Fire anti-spacemagic field with spacemagic at random direction.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:28 am »

And then send in the troopers to retrieve artifacts and samples for scientists on Hephaestus. Because we always need more weirdshit to study.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 10, 2015, 10:34:18 am »

Sounds like something we could exploit for profit. Allright, let's stab reality's testicles a bit.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 10, 2015, 10:52:53 am »

I thought that's what the space magic facility in the Hephaestus system was going to do. Or are you talking about the other testicle?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 10, 2015, 11:43:35 am »

I thought that's what the space magic facility in the Hephaestus system was going to do. Or are you talking about the other testicle?
Obviously the other one.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: July 17, 2015, 01:53:22 pm »

The Painsuit. Don't shoot me yet.

Basically it is a system built around bare exoskeleton. It breaks wearer's joints by bending them backwards repeatedly until it doesn't have enough strength to do so or until they don't break anymore.
Few weak lasers positioned around to cut and burn flesh, rigged to use exoskeleton's power source.
Medical system loaded with poisons and acids to inject or evaporate into breathable form.
Pistons to break major bones, ribcage and spine repeatedly.
Serrated spikes to impale and tear flesh and organs.

User wears it before being dropped on mission site and by time he gets there he's beefed up to handle most of basic forms of damage. Not intented to wear during mission.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:06:14 am by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 17, 2015, 05:57:59 pm »

The Painsuit. Don't shoot me yet.

Basically it is a system built around bare exoskeleton. It breaks wearer's joints by bending them backwards repeatedly until it doesn't have enough strength to do so or until they don't break anymore.
Few weak lasers positioned around to cut and burn flesh, rigged to use exoskeleton's power source.
Medical system loaded with poisons and acids to inject or evaporate into breathable form.
Pistons to break major bones, ribcage and spine repeatedly.
Spikes to impale flesh and organs.

User wears it before being dropped on mission site and by time he gets there he's beefed up to handle most of basic forms of damage.

what the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Sorry, no other words there.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1226 on: July 17, 2015, 06:09:18 pm »

I know I'm on a mission that has technically already started, but I'd just like to ask a question about a certain medical concept: Organ Printing

You said the problem with fleshknitter was that it grew things very quickly but didn't provide any structure for the cells.

What if there was a device a medic could carry that could "sculpt" organ scaffolding that is then pumped full of fleshknitter? Then the resulting cells would have a scaffold, something that would guide them, help them form the proper structure, the proper type of cells.

The advantage is that you have two tools ("printer" and fleshknitter can) that can heal most kinds of injury. (Although you'd probably need some tools from an advanced kit as well to make your job easier and more likely to succeed, since it would be better if you clean the wound and stop the bleeding and prepare the area.)

The disadvantages are that it takes more time than merely injecting some fleshknitter in the wound (printing an entire arm would take forever and probably drain the entire printer cartridge, but merely reconnecting a limb or fixing an eye would be relatively quick). It's also a sensitive process that requires the patient to remain reasonably still and the environment relatively safe. And, even though the software in the tool handles many things like analyzing the shape of the wound and knowing how to print certain kinds and configurations of flesh, the medic is responsible for making the ultimate choices about what kind of cell goes where and what shape the organ should have (meaning that with a bad roll, you might end up with an eyball in your guts). So it's much like real surgery in a way.

Overall, not as good, quick or easy to use as Xan's body and it can only work on fleshies, not robots, but it might be cheap enough and versatile enough to justify its existence. I could see it as an upgrade for a medic who already has an advanced kit and a can of fleshknitter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 17, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »

Hmm, maybe we need some kind of "Sharkknitter" for robobodies.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1228 on: July 17, 2015, 07:18:53 pm »

You can make robobodies out of sharkmist. Convince piecewise to put it in the armoury as an upgrade and you can have robots that regrow their body by eating. Plus natural armour. All you might need are some extra electronics and other spare partys to replace the ones sharkmist can't regrow.

Edit: What we're really missing now is a way to replace and regrow synthflesh. But that's evil-voodoo-need-to-know-only-or-the-universe-ends black box tech, meaning only Hephaestus could have a chance of doing that. Best we can do right now is replace damaged synthflesh with robotic parts.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:22:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 18, 2015, 05:04:01 am »

what the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Sorry, no other words there.

What? If you buy IVAN Treatment then obviously you are going to hurt yourself in order to get defensive mutations. Why not automate the process?
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 127