Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slaves  (Read 10287 times)

ROFLMAOmatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slaves
« on: February 16, 2014, 03:29:34 pm »

I bet there are several posts about this already but I wouldn't really know. As backwards as it sounds, I think slavery would be pretty cool. Dwarves wouldn't be enslavable but kobolds, goblins, trolls, animal people, and possibly humans and elves would be enslavable. Its like I have all these trolls and goblins in cages that I'll eventually use on forgotten beasts and military recruits but until then, my war prisoners should make themselves useful by carrying things or construction.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:33:52 pm by ROFLMAOmatt »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Slaves
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 03:42:04 pm »

Dwarves as part of the Civ morals and ethics literally have a thing that says they don't enslave.

Now playing Gobbo Tower, well they're all in favor of enslaving, but then that leads to the technical problem Forts can't have different Critters work in the same tower under player control.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:00:32 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:36:06 pm »

Having the ethics vary for different civs is also a future goal so dwarves supporting slavery might still be implemented at that point, but that's most likely say 15 years off (personal rough estimate) :>

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »

There have been numerous threads about this topic, but most of the time they get locked because the conversation gets too... passionate.

On topic. While Dwarves refuse to accept slavery in vanilla, there has been talk about development of an Ethic Drift System that will allow a civilization's values to change over time.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

ROFLMAOmatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:31:42 pm »

If my dwarves are able to drop goblins down 10 stories onto a metal spike and leave them impaled for days then I think they'd be cool with slavery at least towards those who they are at war at. I guess that kind of goes with the whole ethical drift thing though.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »

If my dwarves are able to drop goblins down 10 stories onto a metal spike and leave them impaled for days then I think they'd be cool with slavery at least towards those who they are at war at. I guess that kind of goes with the whole ethical drift thing though.
"Urist, explain to me again just how did we become forest-defending sociopaths?"

[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE]

"It's a long tale.  And like all worthwhile tales, it involves magma."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »

"Urist, explain to me again just how did we become forest-defending sociopaths?"

[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE]

"It's a long tale.  And like all worthwhile tales, it involves magma."
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."
"When the human caravan came with its booze made of murdered plants, we drowned the humans in their booze and feasted upon them.  It was a nice change of pace from the mead.  Speaking of changes of pace, the human siege that followed was interesting..."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:52:49 am »

It'd be pretty neat to be able to talk some creatures around. The new personality systems will allow for creatures who go against the grain, so if you can find a goblin who goes against goblin society (in a dwarf-like way) and isn't too loyal to their civ you might be able to convince them that life will be better as a part of your fortress. Or you could send Urist McGoblinminded in to talk to them, and then once they join up they'll have to put up with the rest of the fortress's strange and dwarven behaviours.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »

The Worldgen Slavery Refinement (June 22, 2012) had worthwile ideas, to which I would add sacrifice to some gods, demons, titans and other megabeasts.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:43 am »

Are you saying that the dwarves aren't already our slaves?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

Are you saying that the dwarves aren't already our slaves?

Slaves are asset.
Dwarves are expendable.

I'm siggin'it