Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 370430 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Banter and out of game questions: First time mafia stories
« Reply #510 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:24 am »

*hugs Vector*
*hugs ToonyMan*
You two should be less stuck-up when with us. :I
I learned that the hard way.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:07 am »

On a happier note, here's a reference for all of you.  I'm not sure how it relates to mafia, but this is the out of game thread.

I don't care about the mongooses. Not even my warthog. I'm a little bit curious about the rest of the warthogs, and I'd love to know where our power supply went to, but what I really wanna know is WHERE ARE MY GODDAMN TANKS?!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 19, 2014, 03:51:54 pm »

Is it just me, or do we seem to be loosing more players than we are getting?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 19, 2014, 04:25:53 pm »

I wouldn't know. I'm relatively new to the mafia subsubsection of B12.
What I do know is that the meta is confusing, relying on questions instead of votes. The only way to track scummyness in metas I'm used to are who they vote for and their reaction to having a lot of votes on them; I was caught off guard in Orbfalls. Of course, where as the Random Voting Stage only lasted a day and a half here, RVS lasts around 3 days on the GitP Games forum.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 19, 2014, 04:30:10 pm »

What I do know is that the meta is confusing, relying on questions instead of votes. The only way to track scummyness in metas I'm used to are who they vote for and their reaction to having a lot of votes on them; I was caught off guard in Orbfalls. Of course, where as the Random Voting Stage only lasted a day and a half here, RVS lasts around 3 days on the GitP Games forum.
I think there is a bit too much of a reliance on the questions to provide answers, but the vote-and-otherwise based analysis can be broken (see GBU). A healthy mix is what I think is required, but either one requires player participation. The town won GBOO because of a fluke, mostly. One vote remained in play and nobody bothered to vote, so the scum doctor was lynched. That being said, IG delivered a timely roleblock that sealed the deal by confirming Opus to be scum.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 19, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »

What I do know is that the meta is confusing, relying on questions instead of votes.
This is pretty much the reason I don't really play mafia well, since I guess it makes sense, but still, it puts way too much pressure on me when I get 2 questions, then when I answer one of them, everyone starts suspecting me and I get like 10 questions that are way too hard for me to answer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2014, 04:58:09 pm »

What I do know is that the meta is confusing, relying on questions instead of votes.
This is pretty much the reason I don't really play mafia well, since I guess it makes sense, but still, it puts way too much pressure on me when I get 2 questions, then when I answer one of them, everyone starts suspecting me and I get like 10 questions that are way too hard for me to answer.
I know what that feels like.  But I also seem to have an uncanny knack of being overlooked in questioning, so as long as I remain somewhat active there aren't any problems.

That being said, I'm considering running a game using the current beginner setup that is all "new" players (those who have played at least one bm but are not "experienced").  But I'm not sure how many people there are who would fit those criterion.  But if I do run it, you should join, DP.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

I think there is a bit too much of a reliance on the questions to provide answers, but the vote-and-otherwise based analysis can be broken (see GBU). A healthy mix is what I think is required, but either one requires player participation. The town won GBOO because of a fluke, mostly. One vote remained in play and nobody bothered to vote, so the scum doctor was lynched. That being said, IG delivered a timely roleblock that sealed the deal by confirming Opus to be scum.
Wow. >_>
A...fluke.
So you don't mind or notice that we CHOSE not to vote, huh.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:05 pm »

Wow. >_>
A...fluke.
So you don't mind or notice that we CHOSE not to vote, huh.
It was a fluke insofar as the town really won due to lack of activity.  The scumteam missed their nightkill on the first night, missed a lot of their actions, and basically got screwed over entirely by inactivity.  Pufferfish took no actions because constant inactivity, and Caz, who he replaced, only acted once.  Superblackcat was missing much of the time as well.  Only WhitiusOpus was actually there most of the time.

My apologies if I offended you, Tiruin.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »

In the meta I'm from, if you don't vote, it's considered being absent, even if you posted. Fail to vote two days in a row, you got replaced.
I have to say that Choosing not to vote seems strange to me. Vote No Lynch is also a new concept to me.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 19, 2014, 05:43:30 pm »

Allowing a no lynch vote is a necessity in some games that could otherwise have deadlocked votes.  It also follows naturally from the current "tied vote means no lynch" preference.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 19, 2014, 05:43:44 pm »

In the meta I'm from, if you don't vote, it's considered being absent, even if you posted. Fail to vote two days in a row, you got replaced.
I have to say that Choosing not to vote seems strange to me. Vote No Lynch is also a new concept to me.
I only vote no lynch in MYLO, and I've never been in a game where I have had to do so.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 19, 2014, 05:46:18 pm »

In theory you should probably no lynch when there are an even number of players, in setups where weird things are unlikely to happen.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 19, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »

In theory you should probably no lynch when there are an even number of players, in setups where weird things are unlikely to happen.
lolz is this relating to that thing they calculated on mafiascum where it is statistically beneficial at a certain number for the town to no lynch and statistically beneficial at that same number for the scum to not kill in the case of a no-lynch?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 19, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »

Also, Flabort, you may as well put your game into signups, there's no way I'd get enough people to run The Home Front and the setup is unusable with fewer than 13 without heavy modification due to the five third parties and three possible kills.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 193