Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 283461 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF1PDF proper beta released!
« Reply #2685 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:17 am »

Don't do this. Mistake.
Black lives matter.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: January 17, 2016, 08:23:19 am »

So I'm a *fishie out of water *little brown mouse, for being totally late o_o
My goal was to make it feel immersive (like how games progressed over the years).
Planning to submit my planned FEF draft here but I'm very, very shy due to adding many new stuffs that it may not seem like a FEF. >_>
I once tried to run one about magical girls dying in a tower with no stat caps, all actions processed in one go, and instadeath at 0 HP. It still attracted a full roster and saddened everyone involved by instantly dying. The game, I mean, not the characters. The game had to live for the characters to die.

The point is you'll be fine. :P
This filled me with GREAT DETERMINATION. c:
...Thanks for believing in me .-.

Planning to submit my planned FEF draft here but I'm very, very shy due to adding many new stuffs that it may not seem like a FEF. >_>
So...Haspen has a very good point :D I'm a total newbie GM (though with a lot of probably-imbalanced ideas) and have not ever finished a FEF to the end, am possibly inexperienced in mid-game mechanics changes, and totally unsure on how to stat/balance custom classes not-in-the-handbook.

Quote from: List of plans for Tiruin's Planned FEF ._.;

Problems due to newbieship:
> May be putting too much detail due to lacking experience//focused idealism.
> Page 20; Handbook 1.3
   -- *I'm...honestly unsure about what the stat limit means for first/second class//trainees ._.
   ++ What I do understand is that the stat limits are for...class progression and limitation. What I do NOT understand is why is there a cap on the second class.
> Page 20; 30; 54
   -- I have no idea how to create custom classes, or change a class in-handbook (because there are no pegasus riders in the world I'm working with), OR diversify a class from a changed custom class! D:
> I'm wondering if I can make a third class. Something that is gotten from training or mastery within the world. From feats or secrets. It'll basically just be a second class, but an added PS or name and a few + to stats.
> Money! I don't know how to price custom items! D:
> The Pegasus Rider is removed and changed into a bird-type mount who I lack a name for. (Which is really inspired by the film: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Credit to GUNINANRUNIN for poking me about the existence of Chocobos, and me missing half my life of not playing the Final Fantasy genre :v)
> I am unsure how large a map may be. Generally.
> I am uncertain whether a +/-5 is a significant amount when pertaining to Hit/Evade, or QL, as I plan to modify items and such due to these.
==+=+==
Plans:
> Use Handbook 1.3.
> Tons of renaming ._.

> Long-ish Campaign .-.
   -- Which leads me to be thinking about a third-class (as seen above) because of how long it may be. :v I don't really know the exact scope. :'(
   -- Also referring to the possibility of branching arcs. Like, due to my newbieness, I may generate a whole NPC team to kill y'all by accident and hello TPK. Usually this won't result in a TPK and it becomes a whole new path.
   -- Starts with Trainee ranks; waitlist players joining post-first class get trainee level bonuses just like as if they were already in game, but somewhere else.
> Player interaction with the game world. As characters have backstories in the character sheet, this is expounded into a biography; Players are given a choice in the OOC on which major nation to begin with. This designates their starting location of origin--all have backgrounds of training with weaponry. {Planned: 2 Choices}
   -- After the choice is done, they can pick from any countries, provinces, or city-states mentioned, even if it comes from the other major country-area [however it should be noted, they are foreigners in such a way]. All areas of mention have different social and cultural backgrounds, which in game mechanics mean a tiny change to their character's stats. Both major nations play a role in the planned story to come, even if any of their people will possibly never see each other!
   --- Bonuses probably mean a major/minor choice. The Major Nation's bonuses only apply to the players. The Major/Minor choice can cover anything from a stat bonus (with a total of +3 spread out), or a minor modification to specific class skills (ie Daunt has +15 to its effect).

Quote from: How it may look?
INDUSTRIAL COUNTRY #1
++ Major Bonus Flavor Text Name {eg (INDUSTRIAL_NAME) "All player characters start out with +2 to HP"}
+ Minor Bonus Flavor Text Name {eg (CULTURAL_NAME) "All player/shop weapons start out with +5 to Hit"}
SOCIO-CULTURAL COUNTRY #2
++ Major Bonus Flavor Text Name {eg (FANCY_NAME) "All player characters start out with +15 to Stat Points at character creation"}
+ Minor Bonus Flavor Text Name {eg (CULTURAL_NAME) "Disarm is a Free skill; Player characters without Disarm have a 5% chance to disarm upon counterattack."}
Followed by a list of starting areas [which I can easily fix the map for] so it begins as:

Starting Area #1 [lore/location]
Players lack the MOV penalty for Sand environments. {as the location is Sand}

Starting Area #2 [lore/location]
Players begin with +5 Evade
[...]
Spoiler: Terrain Details (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Game Aspects? (click to show/hide)

I lack the art for some examples...(mugs, especially).
This is a drafted sheet of things to newly be added, rather than homebrew changes. (ie Planning to change Counter to 'your current weapon range', but it's probably not new (as in I remember reading it somewhere), so it's not mentioned here.)
Maybe I'm being too ambitious(?)?
._.;
I'm very anxious. Hello anxiety while even pasting this down and giving it another look around ._.
It's also very messy. :'(

I'm adding buffing items because in the case where I accidentally overscale enemies, or intentionally scale enemies as per story/natural reasons, survival can still be attained (as is flexibility and variability of "what do I do"). Along with running away. :P

Please hit me with your best constructive criticism. :-\
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:52:51 am by Tiruin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: January 17, 2016, 10:24:04 am »

OK, so I've had a read through. I've broken my response up into the same sections as you did yours.

List of plans

First question: why modify the hit/Ql of weaponry? For the most part, 1.3 weaponry seems pretty decent.

The stat caps are the highest you can have in that stat. As a trainee, you cannot have a def higher than 10, for example, not matter what you rolled during level up.

Will your new bird mount have different stats and abilities? If so, what niche will it fill compared to a pegasus? If not, why do it? Do you have the sprites necessary to do it?

A map can be as large or as small as you like. As big as this map in fef2 or much smaller. There's no rules limiting it, but you need to consider the time it takes to complete the map, and the amount of enemies within.

+/-5 isn't huge, but it's still noticeable. 5 Ql is quite a big deal.

----

Campaign

You need to work out how long you want it to be. If it's reaching lvl20 promoted classes it's probably wuite a long campaign - you'll want a long, overarching plot for that.

Remember that all maps should be winnable with the correct strategy. If things are too easy, you can introduce enemy reinforcements; if things are too hard, players get mulched. FEF battles tend to be very all-or-nothing - this was something I'm trying to avoid in DSE, as death is, in a sense, less consequence.

----

Countries of origin

Sounds good, as long as it isn't a huge difference, otherwise min-maxing will probably go wild. Glowcat had starting races have an effect; so did swordstar (i think?). Maybe look at those. MInd that if you have an origin boosting only certain character specific skills, players will feel mandated to take them, or they'll gain nothing compared to those getting stat boosts.

Gaining a cost skill as a free skill may be very powerful - effectively it's granting them 30% more stat growth.

----

Class/Enemy/Item?/Mechanic Changes

Useable items? Yeah, all fine. There's a bunch in the handbook.

Placement swapping... I guess? I'd imagine it can't be done if someone has already attacked or used an item and doesn't have canto.

Supports boosting healing...I guess, yeah.

Con is five slots, yeah, no issues.

Rescuing is generally an action, and I wouldn't recommend changing that. I certainly wouldn't recommend allowing rescued people to be healed. It messes with people being at risk - especially with the action changes. If someone on the front lines can be rescued, healed, and dropped back in the same place in a single turn the strategic layer falls apart.

You need to expand on the cohort idea; do all the cohorts attack along with the player, or no? What if the cohort has range and the player doesn't? Can cohorts detach from the player and be their own unit? If players die, why can they be cohorts? For the sake of other players, ressurecting another would probably become the main goal, or people would get salty.
Let the dead be dead, I say.

I don't like the idea of staff-bearers automatically equipping a weapon; it reduces the risk for them substantially in a battle.

Little items that increase stats already exist in the handbook, so no complaints here. I like the idea of editing them onto the mug.

----

Terrain

It's terrain.
You might have made doors and walls etc a little bit beefy - but I suppose that's what some classes are for.
You given two different bonuses for mountains - one for mountain walk, one for not, but only mountain walk can enter according to that. +4/+4 and +30 eva also seems a bit much.

----

Game aspects

As above, you need to expand on the cohort idea before a prper judgement can be rendered.

Warding items... effectively giving everyone a heal staff  with range can de-value healers quite a bit.

Minimaps: I guess? I don't see why not, if it helps people visualise things.

------

Well, that's my initial thoughts, but hey, it's a free system.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: January 17, 2016, 10:46:32 am »

On the terrain bit, I think I talked with Xanmy [but may not have directly mentioned it?] that I'd be borrowing some of his stuffs. :P I should've nudged him about this I guess?

Game aspects

As above, you need to expand on the cohort idea before a prper judgement can be rendered.

Warding items... effectively giving everyone a heal staff  with range can de-value healers quite a bit.
I was more thinking [RNG: 1 is best] due to how everyone can use them, not considering the possible cost and such.

Expanding on the cohort idea is...a bit difficult. I haven't quite covered the specifics on their application rather than 'This idea may seem good and...{*abstract thoughts*}'. My first idea was 'these give the player more HP', and that was it. Then the other ideas came along as if they can help the player's damage and such, or rebalance//cancel the weapons triangle.

I was also poking a bit with the weapons, until I checked and counter-checked many subcategories as well as others' FEFs. 1.3 seems pretty great. :D [just the names won't fit?]

List of plans

1Will your new bird mount have different stats and abilities? If so, what niche will it fill compared to a pegasus? If not, why do it? Do you have the sprites necessary to do it?

2A map can be as large or as small as you like. As big as this map in fef2 or much smaller. There's no rules limiting it, but you need to consider the time it takes to complete the map, and the amount of enemies within.
[...]
{3}You need to work out how long you want it to be. If it's reaching lvl20 promoted classes it's probably wuite a long campaign - you'll want a long, overarching plot for that.

{4}Remember that all maps should be winnable with the correct strategy. If things are too easy, you can introduce enemy reinforcements; if things are too hard, players get mulched. FEF battles tend to be very all-or-nothing - this was something I'm trying to avoid in DSE, as death is, in a sense, less consequence.
{1} The pegasus rider's niche to me is more of an anti-mage//magic-resistant flying cavalry: A great counter to mages and their out-of-physical ranged weaponry. Those bird-creatures are more the common mount of the world I'm planning in [or I could just go vanilla FEF .-.], with their variance and breeding giving very different results--so there are those with magic-resistance (basically replace 'winged horse' for 'flyable...ostrich-sized-mount', and others serving many sorts. The idea came to be after watching Nausicaa for the...3rd time after years, as I pondered upon how those nice bird-like creatures are able to do many different types of labor and work, and it came to me that the idea of [that-bird-like-thing] can be used just like the concept of our modern horse: different breeds for different specialized purposes, but they're the same animal :D
...I'm unsure if I should provide sprites for them, but I could do that!

{2} Is there a general rule to the # of enemies? What about powerful enemies with limit to only their weapon range//access of secondary objectives?

{3} This ._. is going to be my weakpoint. It's generally going to be very long.

{4} I've taken that in mind pretty well (though it may not be really obvious when applied because I've found a big lapse between [me understanding things] and [me applying it :I]). All-or-nothing-but-with-flexibility-to-achieving-effects. I've been wondering if I could add tiny bits of flavor when describing scenery (visually and narrative-ly)--so that the tiny bits I describe could be used for later on as unorthodox actions.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:58 am »

1) That didn't really answer - will there be a pegasus equivalent in classes? Will ordinary horse be replaced too, then?

2) Number of enemies will depend on how tough those enemies are, how much XP you want the players to gain, and whether all of them must be fought.
Effectively: 'enough, but not too many'.

3) Then you better get planning.

4) Define "unorthodox actions".

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: January 17, 2016, 12:05:35 pm »

Apologies for the wordiness.
Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amount (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Campaign (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Battle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Terrain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cohorts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neat Tricks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Headpats (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: January 17, 2016, 12:09:14 pm »

...I'm just going to note that +15 starting stats seems incredibly overpowered compared to +2 HP.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:31 pm »

Spoiler: Thoughts (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: January 17, 2016, 05:49:29 pm »

Hey, here's my rough draft for the OP of Beginners FEF. If anyone has some suggestions for changes to player selection or the rules modifications, or thinks something should be added, critique would be really appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Beginners FEF

Welcome to Beginners FEF, a game meant as an introduction for players new to the FEF series of forum games. In comparison to a normal FEF, Beginner’s FEF is built to be much shorter than the usual campaign, taking place over the course of a mere five chapters.

FEF, standing for Fire Emblem on Forums, is as the name implies, a forum game built off the mechanics and themes of Nintendo’s Fire Emblem tactical RPG series. As such, it features several hallmarks of the franchise, including the concepts of character development and interpersonal bonds having effects in battle, the class system, and of course permadeath (Though a less harsh version due to the nature of the game).

It is currently planned for there to be 8 player characters in the party in total. To help guide the newer players, a system similar to Haspen’s old NEF series shall be used in Beginners FEF. Along with the 6 newcomers in the main player list, there shall be two slots reserved for veteran FEF players who will help guide and advise the newcomers as they progress through the game. However, it is asked that the veteran players please abstain from planning out the entire parties moves for them, less an emergency situation arise to necessitate it.

Resources:
The FEF Hub Thread
Players Handbook 1.3
As it is currently the most popularly used version of the rules, Beginner’s FEF shall be primarily using an adjusted version of the Fire Emblem: The Further Journeys Handbook version 1.3 which can be downloaded from the link above.
Basic Terrain and Weather Guide (Stolen from FOE who stole it from swordstar who stole it from BMM42)

Campaign Fluff and Lore
Link to World Lore pastebin
Link to Local Lore pastebin

Character Creation
Character Sheet Template
Example Sheet

Characters are to be created as described within the player’s handbook, with a 330% progression total and 4 extra stat points to be distributed upon creation. Again, please check the rule changes listed further up above in this post before creating your character.
Leave the Affinity section of the character sheet blank, as you will be given a choice from a randomly chosen pair once your character has been accepted into the game.

Please note that in this game characters will be starting from First Tier Classes, as opposed to Trainee Classes. Also note that the cast will be starting as a group of mercenaries hired to escort someone across the country, so keep that in mind while writing your bio.

Mugs

When playing FEF, its common practice to have a set of mugs or “mugshots” to represent your character. While not truly necessary to play the game, the mug sets can aid in expressiveness and are considered to a large part of the fun of FEF. These mugs typically take the form of edited and spliced together versions of Fire Emblem character portraits made using image editing software. More specifically from the Gameboy Advanced entries of the Fire Emblem series.

For example.

Links to obtain the base sprites are listed below.
Fire Emblem 6 Mugshots
Fire Emblem 7 Mugshots
Fire Emblem 8 Mugshots. (Note, uses a different color pallet than the previous two)

If you consider yourself artistically unskilled or are unfamiliar with working with sprites and pixel arts, don’t be afraid. There are many people in the FEF community who are very happy to offer advice or help in making mugs for other players. If you need help, just post a request in this OOC thread or in the FEF Hub Thread.

As a last note, please don’t use somebody else’s spritework in your mug without gaining their permission. Tis rude and will get people very angry at you if you do.

Character List

Character sheets shall be accepted based on level of experience and quality of the submitted sheet, along with the need to create a balanced party. Outside of the veteran slots, players with zero or very little FEF experience will be given priority over those who haven’t.
The term Veteran as referred to here isn't very stictly defined, but a nice rule of thumb would be someone who has played through and completed at least two or three FEF chapters in the same campaign depending on participation level. Someone who once entered an FEF that died out after a chapter or two is not considered a veteran for the purposes of this game, so please don’t feel discouraged.

NPC Party Members
1. Andrew Andreas
Veteran Characters
Newcomer Characters

Character Submission Cutoff Date: TBD
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:52:06 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: January 17, 2016, 05:53:34 pm »

I would ask why, in a 5 chapter game, there are rule changes for promoted classes.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: January 17, 2016, 05:58:47 pm »

Just in case. In Haspen's NEFs there was some predictions that the rate of growth might lead to a small amount of players promoting right before the final stage/start encountering them during it.
It's FEF, not FEOF

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: January 17, 2016, 06:19:11 pm »

What are the players actually going to be doing?
Are they monster hunters? Mercs?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: January 17, 2016, 06:25:19 pm »

Mercenaries. I had a little note about it in the character creation sections. I'll move it up to the top to be more noticeable in the final version.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:26:51 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: January 18, 2016, 01:46:45 am »

Do we have enough interested forumites/newbies to warrant a beginner's emblem?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: January 18, 2016, 03:01:29 am »

We had some folks trying to join the filled up games a week ago that prompted me to speed up on my development of this.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 300