Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 282072 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub: ART CONTEST HERE!
« Reply #1980 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »

I'd argue its a mixture of general lack of appreciation in resistance, and that anything that grants negation of damage only mean physical, not magical. In a world where magic users aren't uncommon, armies would probably deploy 'mage killer' type units to help deal with them, since their own mages are better suited taking on those with lower resistances.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 01, 2014, 11:54:10 pm »

I think that's part of it, but magic has a lock on range control. In addition to basic 1-2 range as par for the course, they have portable 3+ tile attacks as first classes, and they have stronger damage and accuracy than other 1-2 range options from physical weapons. The only real downside we tend to see with magic users is low hp, and that's more something of the video games than FEF itself. Hell, in NoH, Enoch is beefier than a good majority of the physical units.

I think if casters had even lower hp, and all their weapons were a bit weaker, it might be balanced a bit better. Then again, it hasn't really been an issue up to this point, and it may be the hot toddy talking.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 02, 2014, 04:55:08 am »

If Cecil is bringing up HoMM, I should remind you that ranged units in that game had all the range possible in line of sight, but after some distance the damage would be reduced by half.

Also every GM likes to put a lot of MAG on magic units, everyone thinks of them as glass cannon, can't we introduce some tanky magic user?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 02, 2014, 10:12:42 am »

If Cecil is bringing up HoMM, I should remind you that ranged units in that game had all the range possible in line of sight, but after some distance the damage would be reduced by half.

Also every GM likes to put a lot of MAG on magic units, everyone thinks of them as glass cannon, can't we introduce some tanky magic user?
Actually, Call Magic rewards tanky mages, at least as far as HP is concerned.  In addition to sheer bulk, they can also burn that HP into additional magic if they aren't getting hit.  I built Raquel that way, and Enoch is the same as well. 

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:59 am »

HP doesn't mean much when you don't have jack for DEF/RES to back it up :v

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:41 am »

HP doesn't mean much when you don't have jack for DEF/RES to back it up :v
Samurai-san disagrees with you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 02, 2014, 12:33:04 pm »

Actually, Call Magic rewards tanky mages, at least as far as HP is concerned.  In addition to sheer bulk, they can also burn that HP into additional magic if they aren't getting hit.  I built Raquel that way, and Enoch is the same as well.

Of course, his is accidental (really lucky HP growths basically) and largely irrelevant considering he has nothing to capitalize on it (Holy Guard/Inquisitor). And is often poisoned, with little to no res/def.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:53 pm »

I just thought of something. Archers are supposed to be skillful (lolefa) and eagle eyed. So maybe a passive that lets them exchange DMG for extra hit would work.

Edit: not passive, activated :v
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:24:50 pm by Solymr »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:46 pm »

I just thought of something. Archers are supposed to be skillful (lolefa) and eagle eyed. So maybe a passive that lets them exchange DMG for extra hit would work.

Edit: not passive, activated :v

Well, since you mention Efa, you get a very specific problem with Sniper tree.

1. without Sure Shot, you're darn right everyone's Sniper is going to max out SKL (rather than go for a STR build like Efa), so extra hit wouldn't be terribly useful except for a few exceptionally buffed foes (like some FEF1 bosses).
2. with Sure Shot, the whole point is that you don't need to get extra hit. Otherwise, with a "real" calculated hit of 56 or somesuch, you may well be exchanging 30 DMG or something to break the final 85 hit rate, and that doesn't seem like a good trade.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »

Now that you mention, with anything not crossbows each point of STR can be exchange for effectively 2,5 SKL (going with DMG 1:5 hit ratio).

Still, I had this in mind for those measly last enemy hitpoints that even if you have 90% chance you really don't want to miss.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 03, 2014, 04:16:55 pm »

A thought I had for archers was that they would be able to increase their range by arcing a shot, once per battle. I was thinking 2 squares, since it is a one-off, and can only be used to attack and not counter.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 04, 2014, 01:48:50 pm »

Mage trainee weapons too heavy :v
They should start with lightning/wind/worm, they are the weakest magics of their weapons and fire/flux too heavy for them (3 CON lol).

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 05, 2014, 07:29:22 am »

It just occurred to me that the new Disarm skill needs to either trigger only on Skill% chance, or be a cost skill, because right now, it's just a better Cancel.

To explain- Freddy the Myrmidon has Cancel. He is fighting somebody with better speed than him, and he attacks the guy. His hit connects, and Cancel procs, reducing the enemy to only one counterattack. Pretty nice.

Eddy the Knight took Disarm instead, and he attacks somebody with better speed- Disarm procs, and both of the enemy's counters are nulled because he is no longer holding a weapon. On top of that, his buddy Letty the thief can now take the enemy's weapon (provided his speed or luck is better and he has free inventory space), leaving that enemy unable to fight for the rest of the map- Unless they somehow get to one of the few allies carrying a spare weapon and they actually pass it to him. Really, the only disadvantage Disarm has compared to Cancel is that it can't proc against bosses.

tldr, plz nerf Disarm.

Khaiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 05, 2014, 07:37:03 am »

BMM42 is quite right. Disarm right now it's a just a better Cancel. Maybe it should be a Cost skill.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub!
« Reply #1994 on: September 07, 2014, 09:13:29 am »

Closing art contest because reasons. If anyone wants to post art they're still welcome.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 300