Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

ASCII Images?

Yes
- 14 (66.7%)
No
- 4 (19%)
I have a better alternative in mind (please comment!)
- 1 (4.8%)
What?
- 2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Souls: Interactive Community Adventure: DEX BUILDS FOR LIFE  (Read 125732 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Dwarf Souls: Interactive Community Adventure
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 07:44:05 pm »

Reinforcing is crazy good in DS so a craftsdwarf would prolly be uber useful. He might be able to mine titanite and whatsuch.

BTW, no experience with DF (don't hurt me D:), but I've played the shit out of DS so I'll be sticking with the side of things I'm familiar with.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:54 am »

Craftsdwarf also seems like it has sinergy with archery, since it provides with bolts and creating bolts trains it. Is archery any good in DS?

By the way, don't worry, we're not in the bussiness of hurting the DF unaware. Heck, you have this pair of cats for free.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 03:22:12 am »

By the way, don't worry, we're not in the bussiness of hurting the DF unaware. Heck, you have this pair of cats for free.

You really had to drop that on him, right?

Anyways... I'd opt for a hybrid archer/fighter. Since there are melee weapons which besides a strength requirement are dexterity based, it could be nice. Except we'd probably have to base defence on rolling which may or may not be a good thing. (Though a basic shield should be easy to place into the picture).

Ranged fighting can be extremely useful in DS, either magic or archery based. Tons of enemies can be found in hard-to-reach places. Still, you can't go without melee, too many cramped spaces, especially when you think of the bosses. It's possible, with rolling and such, probably, but I think it's better worth grabbing a melee weapon and trying to outmanouvre the enemies in close quarters.

I'm not going to offer up a build, I'm quite terrible at those, but I say we need some decent base strength and high dexterity. I have no idea how the skills should be made though. Craftsman+Mining+(Cross)bow+Swimming seems pretty obvious.
Though I guess a crossbow is more strength-based than dexterity, so we could go for a crossbow+pickaxe+shield combo, with swimming and crafting.

So, Question: Are crossbows dexterity or strength-based? I'm sure picks are strength based, though who knows...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:46 am »

In DS pickaxes get B-scaling in strength.

I don't trust crossbows from DF, and DS xbows don't have any scaling. Everyone likes throwing- though I doubt hugo'll let us fracture skulls by throwing water.
We may want the two points in observer instead- it's hard to train & protects us from traps/ambushes.

We could go for a magic build and enchant whatever weapon we want to use, boosting up the stats for it as we find 'em.
Depending on the magic that's available to us at least.

Anyone play big mods like mastercraft? What kindsa mysticism might we run across?

Kinda leaning towards a strength-build pyromancer myself, buffs with resins n such.
Craftsdorf will also help with utilitarian adventure-y kinds of things, (fashioning ropes/disarming traps).
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 06:25:03 am »

I don't trust crossbows from DF, and DS xbows don't have any scaling. Everyone likes throwing- though I doubt hugo'll let us fracture skulls by throwing water.
We'll probably want a lot of endurance if we're going to go with throwing. Throwing 'ammo' is heavvy if we can't use vomit.

Would normal bows work?

Edit: Perhaps with enough misc object user, strength, craftsdwarf and observation, we could peal one of those metal balls off a trap and use that?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:58:00 am by AfellowDwarf »

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 10:23:37 am »

Fresh off a civilian challenge in Skyrim, it looks like this would tie in nicely.  A blacksmith by trade, shes strong but surprisingly nimble from all the years around the forge.  Never had anything to do with magic and is very unlikely to ever do so.

Urist McSmith - Female Dwarf

V-15                         Crafts - 10
A-0                          Hammerer - 6
E-12                         Dodger - 5
S-20                         Observer - 2
D-15                         Swimmer - 2
P-0
R-10

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:15 am »

Fresh off a civilian challenge in Skyrim, it looks like this would tie in nicely.  A blacksmith by trade, shes strong but surprisingly nimble from all the years around the forge.  Never had anything to do with magic and is very unlikely to ever do so.

Urist McSmith - Female Dwarf

V-15                         Crafts - 10
A-0                          Hammerer - 6
E-12                         Dodger - 5
S-20                         Observer - 2
D-15                         Swimmer - 2
P-0
R-10

Don't go for Hammerer. I recommend we switch that out for Swordsdwarf. We should be closing on the stats required for Zweihander, which as y'all know is necessary to get gud.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »

Weren't dwarves incapable of using two handed swords?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »

We're running mostly on Adventure mode logic on the DF side. Mostly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:48 pm »

Zweihander son. do et

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 01:29:33 pm »

Incidentally, how much of the legendary stories and upper forum are people familiar with?

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »

Well, I've of course read Boatmurdered, and I think I read through the dog experiments and sea people bone farms. I've also read a little from one dwarf against the world, but that's it. I'm not too familiar with the upper forums either and I'm not very good at the game itself yet. I'll look things up I'm unsure of, but I probably won't have the most efficient strategies ready.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:38:45 pm by AfellowDwarf »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 01:48:11 pm »

None.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »

I've read a chunk of boatmurdered, (stopped a handful of users after the first dour bastard everyone imitated), know of cacame and anything featured on 'draw your adventures' and a bit of the other 'draw' threads. Also Amanereli.
Used to play a lot more adventure mode than fortress, so I'm very familiar with those mechanics, (though not mods). Also have a journeyman knowledge of Darksouls, ~180 hours sunk in it not including the scores of YT videos & twitch streams I've devoured.

So I'm pretty nooby in terms of dwarf fortress legends.

Damnit MDF, trying to make a cohesive character. Don't you understand min/max?!
Looks like we've got 2 for zwei (dwarf-compatible?), 2 for minerdorf (excuse for alternate weaponuse with good Craftsdorf: the player assigned the stupid immigrant a different job), 1 for hammerer (worst kinds of weapons in ADV mode ever, arguably save for (x)bows), 1 for axes (I think), and a fair bit of interest in swords & bows/xbows.

Heeeeyy Hugo, will there be a poise system?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:44:47 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 04:05:17 pm »

You can get knocked down/knock other people down, but it's not a very rigid system. Expect to get knocked down if you get hit by something much larger than you, though.

EDIT: Seeing how there's not much interest in what she'll look like, I'll just generate it with DF. Naming is still up for grabs, though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:07:09 pm by HugoLuman »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37