Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy/Supers OOC Thread  (Read 28333 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Is anyone here familiar with GURPS?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »

perhaps- The two ideas have very different flavors, though. The floating fantasy world is more of a Bright New World, and has more of an "Age of Exploration" feeling to it, while the second is much more dark and gritty, and has more of a "Desperate struggle to survive" thing going.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »

I dunno...a few decades after I got stranded on a chunk of rock flung a couple miles into the atmosphere, I'd be feeling desperate.

Maybe it's a dark-gritty-struggle place starting to settle down into a Bright-New-World.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 02:11:27 am »

Yeah, I could see that. It'd actually be a really grim place for people, because the added height would expose them to a lot more magical radiation. It'd be the kind of place no one would try to live permanently, just visit occasionally. There'd probably be some pretty valuable stuff up there.

Does anyone have any other ideas they'd like to suggest? Places, people, groups, what have you? I'd be happy to have more input. I nmight even give you impulse points for it, if I really like it.

Especially, I was considering outlining some various enclaves- The technology they use, the magical and martial styles they teach, the goals they pursue, the philosophies they follow, etc.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:24:32 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:10 am »

Yeah, I could see that. It'd actually be a really grim place for people, because the added height would expose them to a lot more magical radiation.
Forget magical radiation, or even normal radiation. There's isolation, limited resources, and the simple knowledge that if they screw up they'll fall to their inevitable deaths.

Does anyone have any other ideas they'd like to suggest? Places, people, groups, what have you? I'd be happy to have more input. I nmight even give you impulse points for it, if I really like it.
Especially, I was considering outlining some various enclaves- The technology they use, the magical and martial styles they teach, the goals they pursue, the philosophies they follow, etc.
Well, first off, what are we talking about with the floating islands? Areas the size of Lichenstein or New Jersey floating in the air on their own? Archipelagoes of roughly-city-sized chunks of rock? What kind of flora and fauna are up there?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 12:42:23 pm »

Well, if you're asking for suggestions, I have two ideas:

A nomad tribe who wear thick environment-suits to survive the radiation. They never undress fully, and slowly merge with their suits. The provide the highest quality environment-suits in existence.

Many floating islands have a very traditional feudal system, with serfs and a strict caste system, where one's ancestors must be respected, etc. Weapons are passed down from generation to generation, and all work is held to the highest standard, because of the limited resources. Very strict, very conservative, no waste is tolerated.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »

Well, first off, what are we talking about with the floating islands? Areas the size of Lichenstein or New Jersey floating in the air on their own? Archipelagoes of roughly-city-sized chunks of rock? What kind of flora and fauna are up there?

Just about all of the above, in different places. These islands drift over time, so There are a wide variety of flora and fauna, but most all of them are heavily mutated, and some of them are magic dependent.

Well, if you're asking for suggestions, I have two ideas:

A nomad tribe who wear thick environment-suits to survive the radiation. They never undress fully, and slowly merge with their suits. The provide the highest quality environment-suits in existence.

Many floating islands have a very traditional feudal system, with serfs and a strict caste system, where one's ancestors must be respected, etc. Weapons are passed down from generation to generation, and all work is held to the highest standard, because of the limited resources. Very strict, very conservative, no waste is tolerated.

The Nomads are cool, and will do quite well. The feudal system too. What kind of tech do you think the feudal people should have? They'd have a real hard time surviving that high up in the atmosphere without really good magic shielding. And unless they can stay under it all the time, they'd end up with a lot of mutations.

Speaking of which, I need to put together a table of random magical effects and random mutations.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

I was thinking that the island people are a bit like the technopriests from WH4K, or just have really powerful mages. They don't create new technology, they don't even know how it works, but the upper levels of the aristocracy have access to powerful tools, given to them by their fore-bearers. The science is lost in favor of ritual and tradition.
In practical terms, Tech Levels 2/3, but with 7/8/9 technology floating around. Only maintenance capacity for 7/8/9 tech, no production.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »

Ah, an excellent idea. I like it. So they've got a restrictive caste system with techpriests, almost none of which have any idea how their tech works, and probably a very ordered society in which not much of any freedom is allowed, in order to keep people from wandering outside the shielded areas and getting mutated. Iinteresting...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:37:02 pm by Angle »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »

Perhaps, in a region full of smaller entities, there is an archipelago run by a large empire.
Um...
Not really feeling a wellspring of inspiration today.
Sig

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »

Yeah, me neither. At least I got some programming done.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 11:20:49 pm »

Aaarg. My interest in this seems to have faded a bit. I could do it anyway, but it'd probably end up rather boring. :/

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:58 pm »

How about we leave it as a maybe and if you ever feel up to it again, you can run it?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 11:28:26 pm »

Yeah, that works.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »

Alright, here's the beginning of an outline of a society the players can hail from. I'll add the statistics later.

Nomad
The Nomads are one of the few groups that manage to live without any permanent settlements. They wear thick protective suits at all times, and sell some of the best protective gear in the known world. They have many occupations, from merchant tosalvager to hunter to slaver. They are a very insular lot, keeping almost entirely to themselves. They avoid densely wooded terrain, and instead stick to dry plains, the husks of cities, and occasionally visit an enclave to trade. The nomads technology is crude but dependable and relatively easy to make and maintain. They use battery powered cars and trucks, recharged with folding solar cells. Their weapons are primitive machine guns, shotguns, and rifles. Their one stand out technology is their protective suits which make good conventional armour and convey the wearer with significant amounts of magic resist. These are exceedingly valuable, and they very rarely sell them.

Nomad Characters
Nomad Characters should have higher than usual strength from carrying around a heavy suit all of the time. They will likely have several Items of Nomad make, which they will guard very carefully. They likely rely much more on their weapons and equipment than on their skills.

Aaaand that's all for now. I'll see what else I can come up with later.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34