Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: Vanaard Corp Mistakes: A minimalISH mutation-happy RTD  (Read 51078 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Vanaard Corp Mistakes: A minimalISH mutation-happy RTD
« Reply #420 on: August 17, 2014, 02:37:03 am »

Another 1... Maddening. Scientist 1. BITE his throat out!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2014, 02:55:17 am »

Stomp doubly and intensely on Infected Guard 1! This is taking too much time! Rragh!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2014, 02:56:21 am »

Open fire on Scientist 4!
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »

Go back to biting scientist 1.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:49 pm »

Turn 28: Combat is slowly coming to an end. Really. It would take some bad rolls to spend any more than 2 turns mopping up what's left. 'Course, I say that and people are already having bad rolls.

On another note, I've thought of a way to maybe potentially decrease combat time: Whenever combat starts, it is considered "1/3" a turn. In those 1/3rds, mutations and regeneration are paused, and non-combat turns are put on hiatus. On the 3rd turn, the non-combat turns proceed along with combat, mutation, and regeneration.

It would give me even less excuses to not update faster, would make small mini-fights very quick to handle, would prevent regeneration from being too powerful, and solve combat before everyone's mutated to hell and back. On the other hand, it might have some oddities as a result. What do you guys think, would it improve combat or make it worse?

Run to the Portion hub hallway.
[16]: You turn and run out of the fight into the Portion Hub Hallway. There are a lot of bodies of infected and noninfected scientists and a guard in this hallway, a lot of bullet casings, and a lot of blood. Signs point to guards from the Portion B Hub using this as a choke point, and only mildly succeeding. At the end, a large door to the Portion B Hub that is currently closed.

However--and you luckily notice before you step near him--there's a crippled infected scientist on the ground near the door who has his legs shot. He is extremely vulnerable and unable to reach you at the current position. You probably could kill him in one hit, though a miss or failure with a melee attack could put you in danger, as he would be able to actually attack you.

You notice Erin come up behind you, intensely wounded.

Shoot infected scientist 4
[8]: Contrary to the desires of both the GM and probably the players, you fire your heavy pistol and just barely hit Scientist 4, causing only a minor amount of damage with a hit on the edge of her body.

A grand start to your markswolf carrier I'm sure.

"Aaaaahhhhh!"
GetItOffGetItOffGetItOffGetItOffRunRunRunRunRun!

Taze anything that tries to stop / catch me

[16]: You run very, very fast towards the Portion Hub Hallway, because GM imagines you would both be closer and because you decided to not be specific.

You see... quite literally the exact same things Starn sees. You also see him. Because you got the exact same roll for the same action:

There are a lot of bodies of infected and noninfected scientists and a guard in this hallway, a lot of bullet casings, and a lot of blood. Signs point to guards from the Portion B Hub using this as a choke point, and only mildly succeeding. At the end, a large door to the Portion B Hub that is currently closed.

However--and you luckily notice before you step near him--there's a crippled infected scientist on the ground near the door who has his legs shot. He is extremely vulnerable and unable to reach you at the current position. You probably could kill him in one hit, though a miss or failure with a melee attack could put you in danger, as he would be able to actually attack you.

You regenerate slightly.

Another 1... Maddening. Scientist 1. BITE his throat out!
[8]: You thought that was maddening? Well, it's only going to get worse.

You attempt to bite the scientist's neck with your teeth. However, he dodges left and right and you can't get a bite down on his neck.

Though perhaps it's for the best, biting someone's neck out without any teeth or mouth mutations doesn't sound very fun.

Stomp doubly and intensely on Infected Guard 1! This is taking too much time! Rragh!
[11]: You just barely continue to blunt-force Guard 1, stomping on his chest. You only do minor damage, and he's still alive by just the smallest margin!

Open fire on Scientist 4!
[9]: In another astounding display of players getting poor rolls, you fire a couple rounds at scientist 4 and only strike once on the edge of her left forearm, doing only a minor amount of damage.

The irony, if you and Tamer both risked extreme overkill and shot at one of the other two, one of them would be dead.

Go back to biting scientist 1.
[20!]: Suddenly, the heavens open up, the angels fly down, and god shines on Felicia as she bites down hard on scientist 1's neck and rips it out, finally killing him.

The former part might not have actually happened, but it sure felt like it because good god he is finally dead. Congrats, if nothing else, I can now claim that the slog is slowly coming to an end by your hands.

Quote from: Infected Scientist 4
Holy crap, big gun! Charge Jimbo and bite his legs off.
[15]: Jimbo suddenly finds his target charging and then promptly chomping down on his legs. It is obviously quite painful and very disturbing. Well, to be fair, everything else about this group is disturbing.

Quote from: Infected Guard 1
Oh god, hit that jello head before she kills me!
[5]: Jello head notices that the guard tries very weakly to hit her, and she can easily dodge his attacks with little effort.

Quote from: Infected Scientist 5
Rawr?
[12]: The crippled scientist looks around and vaguely notices both Starn and Erin. He begins crawling veeeery slowly towards them. Unless they literally stand still for several turns, he's not getting to them any time soon.

As to mutations, he looks kinda like a cyclops. Partially. He has one eye, and big muscles which could probably result in some dangerous punching.

Spoiler: TamerVirus-Jimbo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lenglon-Erin (click to show/hide)

Hostiles:
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Guard 1 (click to show/hide)

Relating to location and the building you are in:
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2014, 12:34:24 am »

back away from the crawler, and once at a reasonably safe distance sit down and wrap my arms around my legs and my wings around my entire body.
"Owowowowowowowowowowowowowowow"
wait for healing and listen to what I can hear around me with my enhanced hearing. focus on what's on the other side of the large closed door.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2014, 12:51:38 am »

You're already about as far away from the crawler as possible while not going back into the Section C Primary. And besides, he's not exactly threatening, in-character or out-of-character unless you do nothing for several turns.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

blazing glory

« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2014, 12:58:44 am »

((You do that.))

Kill him.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28:49 am »

You're already about as far away from the crawler as possible while not going back into the Section C Primary. And besides, he's not exactly threatening, in-character or out-of-character unless you do nothing for several turns.
((then skip the first part of the action since its conditions are already fulfilled?))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2014, 02:37:03 am »

((Not so sound like a complainer, Tarran, but could we maybe switch to the d6? Maybe combat will be less like pulling teeth with that, given the smaller proportion of possible results where absolutely nothing of importance happens?))

Kick Infected Guard 1 in the everything until he dies.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2014, 02:54:03 am »

((then skip the first part of the action since its conditions are already fulfilled?))
Just wanted to make sure you knew is all.

((Not so sound like a complainer, Tarran, but could we maybe switch to the d6? Maybe combat will be less like pulling teeth with that, given the smaller proportion of possible results where absolutely nothing of importance happens?))
I have a low opinion of 1d6s, and have had plenty of experience with them so I'm loathe to switch back to them. And besides my distaste, while there would be less possible resulting rolls, the effects of what percentage the dice roll was of the max possible roll will remain the same. A roll of 10-13, 14-17, or 18-20 out of 20 would vaguely correspond with 4, 5, and 6 out of 6, for example, and get the same result. The dice size is not the root of the problem. What happens with the rolls is.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 18, 2014, 03:06:58 am »

Be bored, wait for the other to finish killing the enemies. Also shoot Scientist 5.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:24:15 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 18, 2014, 03:23:04 am »

Blitz, that only serves to further increase the time spent to finish combat, which I'm sure pretty much if not everyone is tired of, and you get absolutely nothing in return. You have a gun, you have one of the most effective weapons the group has, and not using it seriously reduces the firepower of the group. If you are going to make that action, at the very least give the gun to someone else beforehand.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 18, 2014, 03:24:40 am »

Edited.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 18, 2014, 03:25:52 am »

I have a low opinion of 1d6s, and have had plenty of experience with them so I'm loathe to switch back to them. And besides my distaste, while there would be less possible resulting rolls, the effects of what percentage the dice roll was of the max possible roll will remain the same. A roll of 10-13, 14-17, or 18-20 out of 20 would vaguely correspond with 4, 5, and 6 out of 6, for example, and get the same result. The dice size is not the root of the problem. What happens with the rolls is.

((Why do you dislike the d6? I find it elegant and easy to comprehend, iconic and simple. There's no bonuses to speak of in this game, and the results are already highly interpretive, which is what the d20 is used to avoid when used in conjunction with elaborate bonuses and difficulty classes. Besides, while you do speak of the effects being roughly the same, the experience so far suggests that this might not be the case, given that the only bit where the success becomes critical (or an overshot) seems to be a 20, and an 11, for instance, may just as well be a failure. With a d6, there's clear boundaries and so forth, and it's easier to let results veer into extremes without it seeming excessive. And a lack of extremes happens to be the crux of the problem right now, leading to slow progress, little resolution and so forth. It's very visible in the game that reasonable progress seems to only be possible when people roll unreasonably high (or, in the case of enemies, unreasonably low). With the d6, a full third of the dice, the 5 and the 6, and possibly the 4 as well, though that depends on your GMing strategy, would lead to reasonable progress. With a d20, though, GMs tend to become very indecisive and focus on boundaries and gradients, leading to greater compromises. And these compromises hurt both mechanical enjoyment and fun of RP, in my opinion, as with all times when dice are scaled up in size.

At least make the combat twice or three times as lethal if you're going to stick to the d20, and make the results more interesting and extraordinary when they happen. This cherry tapping business is simply awful. Embrace mutated mayhem, so to speak. Increase amount of death and disaster. That's what the game's about, after all, as far as I can tell.))
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35