Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode  (Read 77724 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2014, 04:53:41 am »

Lodestone sounds like a cool idea. If you place them in the soil layers like meteorite they would be a nice added option, instead of spending a large number of embark points to get magnets or the long chug to make them yourself.

Quick question, what is the Thunder Forge for?

I also had the same Geothermal Generator issue as Archonex a few posts ago. Doesn't seem to recognize the magma underneath it.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2014, 05:48:28 am »

If i'm reading that wiki article right, having lodestone appear in veins of magnetite would make most sense.  However, the real question here is will I be able to make, say, a lodestone warhammer, or shield, with all the silliness that implies?

EDIT: Lodestone arrows.  You know it makes sense.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2014, 05:49:22 am »

Yes, but there wouldnt be any silliness, because its not actually magnetic. The mechanic for that does not exist in the game. It would be the same as any other rock hammer.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2014, 06:05:26 am »

Lodestone would work, although since magnets are tools rather than materials, there would need to be an extra reaction to turn them into functioning magnets.

The Thunder Forge let's you turn metal bars into items, similar to the furniture assembler.

The geothermal generator doesn't work right apparently.  It's just a copy of the magma steam engine, which I haven't been able to edit.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2014, 06:44:16 am »

The geothermal generator doesn't work right apparently.  It's just a copy of the magma steam engine, which I haven't been able to edit.

Was working correctly in my recent fort.

You unfortunately still have to run the reactions, but they are free, and it produces an extra 200 power.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2014, 03:55:24 am »

What does the Execution Machine do?

I built one, and gave it over 1000 power, the middle flickers like crazy but nothing seems to happen. Can even go check how much power it has, and stand in the middle, and nothing happens.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2014, 04:14:41 am »

Maybe it only works on non-gnomes? Did you try dumping some captured invaders into it?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2014, 04:28:40 am »

I watched dwarf traders walk over it and some random wild coyotes. Waited a year but no invaders to test, went on to weaponizing Drilling Rigs, and oh boy.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:54 am »

Tested execution device again.

It only works with an output.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2014, 05:10:28 am »

Yes, the whole point is to quickly dispose of caged enemies without damaging the cages (tossing caged enemies into most processing machines will kill them along with the cage).  It needs a spot to expel the cages and bodies though.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2014, 05:16:11 am »

Yes, the whole point is to quickly dispose of caged enemies without damaging the cages (tossing caged enemies into most processing machines will kill them along with the cage).  It needs a spot to expel the cages and bodies though.

I was thinking it was just a more advanced weapon trap.

Turns out, a drilling rig with tons of power is about all that you need for defense apparently. Except I've had the machina script crash a few times, trying to index "item" in the drillPump function...dunno.

Line 1653

Just put that block of code into an "if (item) then" block.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:22:46 am by omniclasm »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2014, 07:40:37 am »

Do you know what kind of item it was trying to suck up when it broke?

Most machines are pretty deadly if you give them enough power.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2014, 08:02:40 am »

Every time I look, there is no item to suck up.

I also couldn't really find any exact cause of it. Adding a sanity check to make sure item wasn't equal to nil seems to solve it, and can't think of any possible situation where you would want to move an item that doesn't exist.

jonveck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »

I dunno if this is a question I should ask here or in the Dwarf thread (or elsewhere), but here goes:

I love the added depth of the gnomish machines and automation, but their animal ken doesn't really pique my interest and -- compared to the dwarfs -- their remaining options are incredibly limited.  So, how would I go about modding my raws to allow dwarfs to build gnomish technology?  Would it be as simple as copy/pasting the PERMITTED_REACTIONS into their ENTITY_DEFAULT file?  I dunno if there's dfhack definitions that would need tweaking or what, but it's something I'd really love to be able to do.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:24 pm »

In what way limited? (Why not port dwarvish workshop into Gnome mode, or at least let us know what you are missing. Maybe these things can be added to gnomes)

But yes, its mostly adding permitted reactions and buildings.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29