Sometimes.
- 9 (60%)
Only when there's a new release.
- 2 (13.3%)
Never. ((get out))
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 685

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: Stealing combat systems from an eroge  (Read 499850 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v3 OOC: So many grenades, so little shipping
« Reply #8880 on: January 28, 2015, 08:42:08 am »

best ooc title evar

Peer reviewing is defeated by sheer laziness
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:15:22 am by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: January 28, 2015, 08:49:46 am »

Of course there's so little shipping. How many characters who free to ship with each other and actually talk/interact with those who are also free? Not many. Unless you really want some weird pairings...

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:53 am »

It's mainly the latter, if you account for the hordes of new characters. Most people don't seem to give a rat's arse about it, anyway, or they'd be trying to force interaction with the other PCs.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: January 28, 2015, 08:59:57 am »

Yeah, pretty much. Eh... And I'm one of those who don't really care about shipping anymore. He says while dangling DaliaxKaiser and DaliaxIsaac over everyone...

Okay, maybe I do care about shipping a bit. But more of a side-effect of character relationships than anything else, not rampant shipping for the sake of shipping.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:34 am »

* ragnarok97071 ships USECxShipping in response.

:P
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: January 28, 2015, 11:38:20 am »

considering that Icarus no longer has the god-killing sword, and the part where gods as enemies are probably not going to happen again, ever, I feel offended as a go-to example of overpoweredness. Orichalcum does triple damage to gods. It was provided to Icarus by Elf and Sanure, when we actually had a god to fight, and prepared accordingly. Beyond that, all it did was basicaly being unbreakable, which is meaningless considering nobodies weapon ever broke in this game anyway.

Also, magic is no longer overpowered, the damage has been nerfed reasonably. Rather, I think it is *health* that is underpowered, and badly scaled towards damage done by big attacks. I originaly scaled damage towards un-increased basic attacks, but against powerful attacks, it's of course not much. This has two downsides: A) Bosses need huge HP stats or otherwise means to avoid damage, or be obliterated by too many damage sources incoming at once and B), bosses can not fight at their full offensive capabilities, because that would one-shot many PCs (I reduced damage rolls from Belkelel several times to avoid outright one-shotting people. I didn't even dare to roll for crits), and nobody wants people one-shotted.

I think maybe Health should be buffed, to allow for bosses that last longer, and can hit harder. Though it would also make combat lengthier

also damnit guys, give me some more northsdale stuff!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:48:45 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: January 28, 2015, 04:34:58 pm »

If their health is under 20, you should be oneshotting them. Serves those glass cannons right. Remember, combat isn't the main thing you should be focusing on, it's just a storytelling tool. GMs can do whatever the hell they wish to do in combat, so long as you don't piss everyone off.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:39:48 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: January 28, 2015, 05:17:10 pm »

About to send Smurf a Fuck ton of lore once I can access my Evernote

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:08 pm »

GMs can do whatever the hell they wish to do in combat, so long as you don't piss everyone off.
Aye, and that's the rub, isn't it.

To buff health, we could very easily do what I suggested a while ago; make strength buff Health a bit. makes physical guys almost on par.

Secondly, Akroma, I'll be honest about two things;

One, one of my plot ideas was based around True Gods
Two, I could care less if you're offended about me thinking your character is overpowered. If you're honestly insulted by me saying that? I mean, really? Besides which, if I remember right, and I think I'll go find the quote:
man, I hope PvP with Icarus vs spensir or kaiser happens some time. dat quadruple damage against gods.

Now, I apologize for how sarcastic this will sound, but I'm making a point: What were you saying about triple damage? I know you might be tired(I'm tired too, a lot, I've got swimming and shit after school), and screwed up, but from what I can tell there isn't a set value for how damage Orichalcum does to Gods, and I think I actually remember you saying it did pentuple damage to gods during the fight with Belkelel when Aedan got shivved. Which is why I think the whole thing about Orichalcum is kinda ridiculous, though the same could be said for what I think of Mordite, too.

And besides all of that, I don't have a go-to example of over-poweredness. I chose Icarus because both she and Ashley are physical fighters, and because both of them have ways to deal stupid high amounts of damage. I look at Spensir, he can't do anything near that. Since Defense and Resistance are both rather useless at the moment, and his health isn't pants-shittingly high as it could be if I had ignored armor and defense, he can't even tank like that in the same way. Everyone's getting more and more stupendously powerful and that's what's frustrating the hell out of me.

Also, no, the fact that weapons only go up to +9, which can be achieved with Large spells by anyone with a Magic score of 15, and Alucard hits +7 with Small Spells, for 1 Mana, or +13 for Medium ones for 3 mana; and he can cast five of them, if you actually factor in his Resistance based limit(which seems silly to me, not that I'm against it it's just that adding a limit to the number of spells you can use which is basically exactly the same as the mana limit only smaller seems unnecessary; it helps balance him, so he can only use those Medium spells five times instead of fourteen, but when he deals d33+20 damage with a Large spell, him only getting three of those doesn't seem 'balanced' really. >.>), means Magic is still fairly overpowered.

If any stat right now is underpowered it's Resistance.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:27 pm »

To buff health, we could very easily do what I suggested a while ago; make strength buff Health a bit. makes physical guys almost on par.

Just so that everybody knows, I'm definitely behind this suggestion since it would help make the physical fighters a little bit tankier. We were thinking about 1 point of Strength gives 1 HP, right? Something like that?

Since Defense and Resistance are both rather useless at the moment.

[...]

Everyone's getting more and more stupendously powerful and that's what's frustrating the hell out of me.

[...]

Magic is still fairly overpowered.

[...]

If any stat right now is underpowered it's Resistance.

Okay then, so let's fix things. How would you buff Defence and Resistance so that they're useful stats? Merging them together is probably a bit extreme, but I'm struggling to think of other ways to improve them. Besides making them give you extra HP for taking them, but that could easily snowball as it did in the v2 thread.

Also, weren't manoeuvres supposed to improve physical attackers so that they're on par with magical ones? Unfortunately Icarus is the only one who seems to have implemented that, but that may be simply because they're currently vague as heck. Maybe setting out some rules/guidelines for manoeuvres would be helpful, both so that people will realize that they exist and would make sensible choices for them.

Power creep is... Yeah. A thing that exists. No clue how to fix that...

Also sorry if I sound condensing here. I'm just trying to punt the thread into a more productive discussion before it gets enveloped in a shitstorm like usual.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: January 28, 2015, 10:32:38 pm »

Quote from: Sen>Kaiser
Look, if Kyle is willingly helping, then it;s less likely to be a betrayal. Besides, Kyle is immune to Osmodius' Mind control. I trust Kyle.
Aw, how sweet~

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: January 28, 2015, 11:43:33 pm »

@KJ: Wincest.

@ Rolep: Still not pulling the pin on this grenade. I feel the need to repeat this for some reason...

Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: January 28, 2015, 11:45:00 pm »

pull it and throw it in a PM to me

I wanna see it
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:27 pm »

@ Rolep: Still not pulling the pin on this grenade. I feel the need to repeat this for some reason...
Everyone else is, you beatnik pacifist :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: January 28, 2015, 11:52:23 pm »

@KJ: Wincest.

You can repeat it all you want, I'm not gonna shut up about it unless it looks like it might become a flame war, because it's an issue I actually think is important.

I came up with ways to buff stats a while back, mostly in giving flat damage reduction based on Defense and Resistance. Giving Health based on it could also help as it would buff Def, Res, and HP at the same time. Also possibly percentage reduction/max damage taken thresholds after a certain point for Resistance, and 'Ignores hits that would deal less than X damage' after a certain point for defense(showing the ability to either shrug off craptons of small arms fire or the ability to survive massive arcane fireballs because you have that much magical protection(and this would mostly apply for bosses or literal tanks or god-chosen paladins(no not Spensir(yet))).

Also, Maneuvres sound cool and all, but with some characters, or Hybrid characters, they just don't really fit.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 685