Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316723 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2014, 08:09:39 pm »

Can creature variations be applied at the caste-specific level?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:42 pm »

Edit: My eternally flaming balrog was easily ripped to pieces by a small, wolf-life creature. What did I do wrong? :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For one thing, you've got [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRONZE] when I think you want it to be ROCK_FLAMING. That might cause errors with setting the creature to be made of the right material, so instead the game makes it out of a placeholder material that's extremely fragile.

Check errorlog.txt in the dwarf fortress file and see if there's any specific errors with the balrog. It's in the same folder as the .exe for DF.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »

Edit: My eternally flaming balrog was easily ripped to pieces by a small, wolf-life creature. What did I do wrong? :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For one thing, you've got [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRONZE] when I think you want it to be ROCK_FLAMING. That might cause errors with setting the creature to be made of the right material, so instead the game makes it out of a placeholder material that's extremely fragile.

Check errorlog.txt in the dwarf fortress file and see if there's any specific errors with the balrog. It's in the same folder as the .exe for DF.

Thank you :p Silly me, now it's working :) Noticed there was a thread for creature and entity modding, so I'll be over there asking for more help & advice. :)
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »

Smelling and odors, has anyone done any research about these? What is the standard value for odor? I want my beasties to be able to smell their way to any adventurers.

Odor level is how smelly the creature is. Higher levels are more smelly.

Smell trigger is how well creatures can smell things. Lower is better. If the smell trigger is lower than the odor level, then the creature can smell the source of the odor, if it is close enough.

Both smell triggers and odor levels default to 50, I believe. It's mentioned in the future of the fortress thread, though it may have changed since then.

You can also apply an odor string to describe the smell. For example, fire snakes now have [ODOR_STRING:smoke]. So instead of it saying "you smell fire snake on the wind" it would say "you smell smoke on the wind".

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »

Can creature variations be applied at the caste-specific level?
yes as long as the tags the CV is adding is caste level, because if it's creature level well then it adds it there (like materials, and tissues)
I have in my outdated mod that I need to bring up to speed, CV attack packages that certain castes will be able to use (Brawlers get elbow/knee smashes, back hands, and head butts. where rangers get thrust kicks, and quick jabs. and them + the rest get punch, kick, scratch, bite, etc.)

just make sure to say [APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION] after all the calls.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »

I'm planning on re-learning how to mod:

Is anything changed in reaction raws

and other than the new weapon attack/recovery tags, is anything new in item/shield/weapon/etc raws?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:44 pm »

There's a new hardcoded building you can specify, the Farmer's Workshop as [BUILDING:FARMER:key]. You can also specify the key as the non-specific key-binding. Other than that, reactions seem to work the same as before, at least in theory.  It might be little buggy in practice, however (brewing jobs are a real rat's nest atm)

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »

I tended to stay away from brewing reactions, and as such will stay away from them in this version too :P

Well, That's good then, So there is less learning for me to do. Great, Thanks~
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2014, 09:48:10 pm »

I'm messing around the language files to give words actual grammar (in practice, these are separate forms for plurals and genitives, which is all you can really do at the moment).  Here's a sample, to show what I'm trying to do.

Spoiler: Dwarven grammar sample (click to show/hide)

I understand, the different word tokens should control, what context you can use these words, but from where would people's "first names" come from?  By this I mean names like Urdim; would I also see Varādem as a dwarf name? Will this do weird things with the name-generator?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:11 pm »

I'm planning on re-learning how to mod:

and other than the new weapon attack/recovery tags, is anything new in item/shield/weapon/etc raws?
There's also the item reaction products.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:24 pm »

I forgot about those, sry.  They work like material reaction tokens mostly, but you need to specify the actual item in the corresponding plant/creature/etc. definition before the material in an ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT tag, like so:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:LEAVES:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
for quarry bush leaves. The actual reaction is for reference:

[REACTION:PROCESS_PLANT_TO_BAG]
[NAME:process plant to bag]
[BUILDING:FARMER:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:plant:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM]
[UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[BAG]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT:plant:BAG_ITEM]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
[SKILL:PROCESSPLANTS]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:56:46 pm by samanato »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »

How do item reaction products and material reaction products differ?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:21 pm »

One is for items, one is for materials. Simple, really.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 10, 2014, 11:35:37 pm »

A snippet from the string dump earlier on(seems to come out of the generated creature bits). Huh...

[SPOUSE_CONVERTER]
[ORIENTATION:MALE:1:0:0]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:1]
[CONVERTED_SPOUSE]
[ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:1]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:1:0:0]

On an unrelated note, modding the new speed values on Ranged Weapon ammo gave one side an edge in the Arena tests for me... Reload-time may be hard-coded and fixed, but the ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER times may still affect actual firing. Needs more testing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 10, 2014, 11:53:28 pm »

WELL then. Both of those need some testing...
The orientation tags produce no errors when appended into caste definitons.

Still cannot get egg-laying civ members to reproduce after 2 seasons, despite being married. I'm starting to think I may need to remove sleeping, despite confining them to the space of their nest boxes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 247