Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316796 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #765 on: August 14, 2014, 11:50:12 pm »

It's just adding a fake inorganic material sorted into those things with a name like ====MAGMA-SAFE====

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 15, 2014, 12:30:01 am »

They should also have the [SPECIAL] tag, which Masterwork does.  Since .40.06 they never show up in dwarf preference lists.

Doren

• Bay Watcher
  • On closer inspection, that dog is a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:50 am »

It's just adding a fake inorganic material sorted into those things with a name like ====MAGMA-SAFE====
Well, ok this is kind of easy.
But how do i sort the real minerals under these stubs? They are all placed in different inorganic_stone_ files, and their order in raw files doesn't seem to correlate with their order on stone and trading tabs.

Do i have to move all stones into single file, say, inorganic_stone_all.txt or something?

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:14 am »

I want a reaction to produce a philosophers stone, that is used up in other alchemy reaction.
How do I define a stone type for it that does not appear ingame unless crafted.
I am aware that traders will bring it, probably nothing that can be done about this, am I right? However I don't want that it spawns as a layer or vein stone in the map.
Just don't include any environment tags for the stone and it won't spawn anywhere in the ground.  If you add a [SPECIAL] tag, it also won't show up in anyone's preferences.

Now, if the civ has access to a reaction that produces Philosopher Stones, then they'll probably show up in caravans. [...]
Ah that's nice to know. Actually I wouldn't mind if someone liked the stone "for it's perfection", however I WOULD mind if a noble demanded his furniture made of this stuff. So it's definitely good to know I can shut this down with the special tag.

[...]  Annoyingly, you might even see crafts made from Philosopher Stone material.
Well that's annoying. Is there any workaround to that?
Create an intermediate stone that instantly melts and leaves back the philosophers stone? Anything (non DF-Hack related)?

I think they made it so that the {SPECIAL} tag now makes things non-liked, caravanned... try adding it to your philosopher stone material.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 15, 2014, 02:14:16 am »

But how do i sort the real minerals under these stubs? They are all placed in different inorganic_stone_ files, and their order in raw files doesn't seem to correlate with their order on stone and trading tabs.

Do i have to move all stones into single file, say, inorganic_stone_all.txt or something?

the order they go in is  .... alphabetic file name... position in file

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 15, 2014, 11:07:21 am »

That's what I actually do.  That might help to sort all magma-safe stones and the like together, since order doesn't appear to impact how layers and clusters are put together.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:09:12 am by samanato »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:29 am »

Their order in raw files correlates perfectly, AFAIK.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 15, 2014, 12:50:50 pm »

Anyone know if it's possible to make trees that work like the old ones, being only a single tile in a single z-level? Trying to make a small plant that can be used a source of wood.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:49 pm »

Trees do start out like that before they gain girth. Have you tried capping their height and width to 1?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 15, 2014, 01:04:52 pm »

Anyone know if it's possible to make trees that work like the old ones, being only a single tile in a single z-level? Trying to make a small plant that can be used a source of wood.

Tree trunks never seem to be lower than 3 z-levels when fully grown.  The best I can think of is:

Code: [Select]
[TRUNK_PERIOD:10]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:0]
[BRANCH_DENSITY:50]
[MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:1]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:0]
[BRANCH_RADIUS:2]
[TRUNK_BRANCHING:0]
[MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:1]
[TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]

This would give a straight trunk of the shortest dimensions (3 z-levels) with no heavy branches, which gives about 3-or-so logs of wood.  I can't make them any smaller than that.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 15, 2014, 01:34:25 pm »

Tree trunks never seem to be lower than 3 z-levels when fully grown.  The best I can think of is:

Code: [Select]
[TRUNK_PERIOD:10]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:0]
[BRANCH_DENSITY:50]
[MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:1]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:0]
[BRANCH_RADIUS:2]
[TRUNK_BRANCHING:0]
[MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:1]
[TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]

This would give a straight trunk of the shortest dimensions (3 z-levels) with no heavy branches, which gives about 3-or-so logs of wood.  I can't make them any smaller than that.
Guess I'd have to make a workaround using the materials harvested from a bush being used in a reaction that outputs wood. Inefficient as hell.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 15, 2014, 02:47:11 pm »

I'm trying to make a reaction that'd take leaves (the kind processed to a bag from a plant) and make bone items out of them.
Actually, I'm not trying, I'm currently at the phase where I evaluate what I want to do and ask questions about it. So...

Spoiler: Tentative reaction (click to show/hide)

What I am missing is how to assign a proper material to it, and how to restrict it to the one single plant whose leaves I've decided look like bones. If I give the leaves the material properties of bone, the bolts will still be leaf-based bolts and so won't be stockpiled properly - how do I make them be stockpiled properly?
I'm pretty sure I can't use any of the hardcoded reactions, because the bone carving ones take corpse parts and I can't make the leaves be corpse parts... or can I?
Also, should I just use a reaction class token to restrict the reaction by putting it on the leaves of the plant in the plant definition?

Is there a way of wrapping up reactions in a menu, or is that hardcoded? I'm considering only making a bolts reaction to avoid clutter, but there are other uses for bone...
...actually, how would I even write a decorating reaction?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 15, 2014, 02:56:33 pm »

I'm trying to make a reaction that'd take leaves (the kind processed to a bag from a plant) and make bone items out of them.
Actually, I'm not trying, I'm currently at the phase where I evaluate what I want to do and ask questions about it. So...

What I am missing is how to assign a proper material to it, and how to restrict it to the one single plant whose leaves I've decided look like bones. If I give the leaves the material properties of bone, the bolts will still be leaf-based bolts and so won't be stockpiled properly - how do I make them be stockpiled properly?
I'm pretty sure I can't use any of the hardcoded reactions, because the bone carving ones take corpse parts and I can't make the leaves be corpse parts... or can I?
Also, should I just use a reaction class token to restrict the reaction by putting it on the leaves of the plant in the plant definition?

Is there a way of wrapping up reactions in a menu, or is that hardcoded? I'm considering only making a bolts reaction to avoid clutter, but there are other uses for bone...
...actually, how would I even write a decorating reaction?

There is a [BONE] tag you could put into the material which might make it stockpile correctly.  But as for limiting which leaves can be used, a reaction class is probably the way to go.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 15, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »

Okay, so...

Spoiler: tentative plant (click to show/hide)

Does this seem okay? Are there any mistakes? Can someone either test this for me or teach me how to make cheaty things for testing things quickly?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:02:00 pm by Minnakht »
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 15, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »

Okay, so...

Spoiler: tentative plant (click to show/hide)

Does this seem okay? Are there any mistakes? Can someone either test this for me or teach me how to make cheaty things for testing things quickly?
You can change the reactions in a save, so long as the reaction names remain the same.  Still requires hopping in and out of a DF session, but at least it's not re-genning a world.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 247