Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316878 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2805 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:39 pm »

Theory-crafting, would it be possible to make a rust monster creature that can destroy only metal objects? I was thinking it'd be through some kind of breath attack that triggers a reaction, but I'm checking the wiki and it seems that it wouldn't work like I was thinking.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »

I won't. Reactions cannot be triggered.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: June 16, 2015, 07:28:52 pm »

I won't. Reactions cannot be triggered.
Is there no alternative thing that could destroy items? I know dragon breath works, but dragon breath destroys everything, not just metal items. And making fire that's hot enough to melt any metal items would also destroy any non-metal items. I could just make rust monsters steal items, but I don't think there's a way to make them only steal metal items.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: June 16, 2015, 07:31:34 pm »

How much of a difference would 100-200 contact area on a slash, or 100-200 on penetration make much of a difference for a weapon? How much of a difference? My weapon upgrading idea involves making tons of weapon raws, mostly just small modifications on them, and will take a long time simply from the amount of necessary repetition. So how big of a difference is 100 contact area on a slash?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: June 16, 2015, 07:37:49 pm »

How much of a difference would 100-200 contact area on a slash, or 100-200 on penetration make much of a difference for a weapon? How much of a difference? My weapon upgrading idea involves making tons of weapon raws, mostly just small modifications on them, and will take a long time simply from the amount of necessary repetition. So how big of a difference is 100 contact area on a slash?
I always thought of it in terms of percentages. So if you have a weapon with 100 units of contact area for cutting, then an increase of 100 would be a 100% increase in cutting effectiveness. Or if it had 1500 contact area, an increase of 100 would be ~6% increase.

Depending on what kind of attack you want, say purely cutting or purely slashing, you'd want either higher contact area and higher penetration or lower contact area and higher penetration. Been a while since I modded weapons though, so I could be wrong about how much contact or penetration you'd want in an attack.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: June 16, 2015, 07:44:17 pm »

AFAIK, that is only for natural creature attacks. Weapon attacks use those numbers as their actual penetration and contact areas, rather than as percentages of their size. I may be wrong though.

100 to 200 may not seem to large of a difference, but it is. Though I would probably suggest you go for larger gaps between sizes, as 100 may be a bit under what is needed to pierce all the way through a human torso, last I saw any numbers, it would definitely not be enough to cut too deep into something many times larger, such as an ogre, or an FB.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: June 16, 2015, 07:50:09 pm »

AFAIK, that is only for natural creature attacks. Weapon attacks use those numbers as their actual penetration and contact areas, rather than as percentages of their size. I may be wrong though.

100 to 200 may not seem to large of a difference, but it is. Though I would probably suggest you go for larger gaps between sizes, as 100 may be a bit under what is needed to pierce all the way through a human torso, last I saw any numbers, it would definitely not be enough to cut too deep into something many times larger, such as an ogre, or an FB.

I know weapons don't use percentages like natural attacks. I mean in terms of finding how much of a difference a number would make in a weapon's stats, I'd take the change I was thinking of making, divide it by the original number, and consider the decimal result to be a rough percentage estimate of "how much of a difference" it would make on the weapon compared to the original weapon.

Like, add 100 to an attack velocity of 1500. 100 / 1500 = ~0.067 = ~6.7%
So the changed weapon would have a 6.7% greater velocity for that attack compared to the unchanged weapon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: June 16, 2015, 07:50:38 pm »

Oh no, I wont be starting on 100, I'll be taking weapons already existing and making duplicates of them with slight, slight differences, like adding on 100 or so penetration or contact area in increments. Like, sharpened short sword= +100 penetration or something like that. I don't know yet, it's still just a theory.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »

So I'm adding some more fantastic creatures to DF. Stuff like DnD monster classics. Owlbears, for example. Or a goddamn tarrasque.

DnD wiki cites a tarrasque as 50 feet tall, 70 feet long. I assume it'd be 20 feet wide. Could change that estimate I guess. Calculating that into cm3 for the body size raw token. One foot is 30 cm.

(50*30)*(70*30)*(20*30) = 1500 * 2100 * 600 = 1890000000 = 1,890,000,000 cm3 total. holy shit.

Did I do my math horribly wrong or is the tarrasque just that goddamn huge? Would the game accept a size this big?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:44 pm »

They're huge. You should know that already. Fifty foot, even for DnD, isn't small.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:12 pm »

No, I think that's above the max. You may note that 50 feet tall is completely gigantic.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: June 16, 2015, 08:50:26 pm »

No, I think that's above the max. You may note that 50 feet tall is completely gigantic.

Whats the limit then? Giant sperm whales according to the wiki are 200,000,000 cm3. Lowering the width of the tarrasque to 10 feet or 300 cm drops the size to 945,000,000 cm3. If that's still too much I could just make it the max size.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: June 16, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »

I made a creature ten times the size of a sperm whale, never got anything in he errorlog.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: June 16, 2015, 09:19:16 pm »

Errorlog doesn't say anything, you have to use DFHack or some other weird test to tell if it went wrong.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: June 16, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »

Oh.

Also: Is candy thread and cloth dyable? And if I made a metal have the same process, and made the thread dyable, would the metal it produces have that dye affect them?

Like, say, this is a randommetal wafer. It is midnight blue with exceptional dimple dye. This is a randommetal sword. It is midnight blue with exceptional dimple dye.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 247