Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 441362 times)

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1470 on: March 30, 2015, 03:18:06 pm »

1. Advanced world creation: Most of my attempts using non-default values for large map (257x257) result in non-responding program after pressing Enter, the map generation/preview interface won't even show up. Is it because the map is being constantly rejected?

It seems to be my experience that when you have too many rejection criteria worldgen goes a lot slower. I usually end up just specifying required tile counts for a couple specific biomes that I want to have more of, and let the rest be free. There may be some other specific setting that is causing it to not get anywhere, you might be able to check the logs but I don't know for sure how to find out.

n3bux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 30, 2015, 04:19:02 pm »

how can i set a food stockpile to only accept prepared meals from a kitchen?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 30, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »

make a food stockpile, block everything, and then activate prepared meals with `u` (it's an option that shows up in the lower right i think, easy to miss)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 31, 2015, 01:41:54 am »

1. Advanced world creation: Most of my attempts using non-default values for large map (257x257) result in non-responding program after pressing Enter, the map generation/preview interface won't even show up. Is it because the map is being constantly rejected?
It seems to be my experience that when you have too many rejection criteria worldgen goes a lot slower. I usually end up just specifying required tile counts for a couple specific biomes that I want to have more of, and let the rest be free. There may be some other specific setting that is causing it to not get anywhere, you might be able to check the logs but I don't know for sure how to find out.
In general if you are running into infinite rejection problems just turn on rejection logging, let it run a handful of rejections, and then stop and check the log for what problem you are running into.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:36 pm »

Hi, a new wave of immigrants has arrived and while sorting through Dwarf Therapist I noticed something strange. One of my immigrants does not have any labors. Including hauling, cleaning, construction, burial, you know the labors every adult is supposed to have. He has absolutely no labors activated. Is this just a glitch or does this mean something like a he has a disease, or is a vampire.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:21 am »

Only time I've seen someone with no labors is after a child reaches adulthood, so if a migrant grew up right after reaching your fort that would explain it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 03, 2015, 05:56:48 pm »

What's special about eyeball or worming tendril plants? I've had an embark in a half-terrifying, half-cold woodsland.

Nothing so far as I know, other than the fact that they're a type of "grass" that shows up in evil biomes.  I believe grazers can still eat it without any problem.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 04, 2015, 07:13:22 pm »

Is it my imagination, or does heavier armor increase falling damage regardless of Armor Use skill?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 05, 2015, 09:07:30 am »

Thanks Number7!

After embarking on over a dozen different evil regions I've yet to find one that has eyeball or worming tendril grass. What am I missing/doing wrong? Or do they just almost never show up in the latest version?

Finally found an embark that has them.
Yeah, looking for rarer plants may be tedious after plant explosion in 0.40.0. There is often so many other ones then can be used in site generation  ainstead of that one you are looking for...
I've cut out the majority of the garden vegetables, a couple of the new crops (particularly the useless papyrus sedge) and some grasses from my raws to have a higher chance of interesting things. Oh yeah and a couple of the trees. I wanted a atmospheric evil biome.

Even with all that though it took me more than a dozen embarks before I found one with the evil grasses. Quite a few of them had glumprongs and slivers barbs but no evil grasses.

What's special about eyeball or worming tendril plants? I've had an embark in a half-terrifying, half-cold woodsland.
They help set the mood. To the best of my knowledge they don't have any other special properties.

So question, do vampires trigger traps when they go on their feeding sessions? I've been considering putting a cage trap in the entrance of every bedroom.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:09:08 am by Demonic Spoon »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 05, 2015, 11:09:07 pm »

I don't believe so, no. They are still members of your fortress after all.

Best defense I find against vampires is to have overlapping bedrooms, I tend to do about 8 dwarf bedrooms to a single room with enough fancy stuff to bring the quality up for all of them. Combine it with not having a meeting hall and you'll usually have dwarves hanging around there to catch any vampires. It does have the side effect of meaning you dwarves tend to form more friendships and relationships with those dwarves in their same room, but in general they are still limited to that room without many inter-room friendships going on. (Personally I view that as a benefit since I tend to run generational fortresses, but it's up to you which way it goes).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 06, 2015, 08:07:15 am »

I have been considering building the bedrooms into notches in the statue garden without doors, so that the dwarves in the meeting area have constant line of sight to the sleeping dwarves.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 08, 2015, 06:45:18 pm »

If the game world is completely separated by a large mountain range (like so: https://i.imgur.com/cRW75lo.png), and you make a (long) tunnel from one end to the other, will entities know and use it to cross?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 08, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »

You might not even have to actually build the tunnel, just embark on every single tile in a line to change that particular tile's type to the "fortress" one. I seem to remember hearing stories of people who have bridged the gap to islands before that way, so I know that it used to work, but that was a handful of years back so no idea if it works in the current version.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 09, 2015, 05:29:45 am »

I really should try to get a vampire so I can test all this stuff myself, but can tame animals identify vampires? Another idea I've been considering is tying up a animal in every dwarf's bedroom.

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:10 am »

What are exactly the benefits of burning off the fat, using magma mist?
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 268