Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440891 times)

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3270 on: May 26, 2017, 08:51:31 am »

I made a large underground tree farm but nothing starts to grow. I have caverns opened so stuff grows elsewhere. I build floors and then flooded the whole area and has now mud but still nothing grows. Is this because I build floors? Used up a few thousand blocks for it and it took more than 2 years to be build. I hope this is not another facepalm moment lol. I had a few holes in the floor and trees leave holes in the ground so I rather floored the whole area.

EDIT: If I have to remove the floors and trees will leave holes in the ground when cut what is the solution (if any) to build on the floor below. It's been dug as well so should I build walls or?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:53:32 am by knedl »

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:24 am »

Nothing grows on top of constructed floor.

Water only turns non-smooth stone into soil, it does not work with smoothed stone or any constructed material.

Remove the floor and the tiles underneath should turn back to their natural state (I'm guessing it's stone). With the area clear of constructed floor, you can then flood it, wait for the water to evaporate (water can't be above 1/7 for it to evaporate inside AFAIK) and then wait for plants to grow.

Personally, I would just mine out another area for this (deconstructing floors is painful) and use the one you have for something else (library, workshops, storage, gladiator arena, what have you).

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: May 26, 2017, 07:19:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure the last time I flooded my hospital (due to inappropriate well construction) the tiled floors showed the 'scattering of mud' definition (& appropriate brown gfx) that's required to start farming.. but I can't remember if this was within 43.03 or 43.05 :(

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: June 06, 2017, 08:57:23 am »

Can you encrust artifacts with gems?  If you can, do you want to?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: June 06, 2017, 10:20:31 am »

Probably not. You could test this by locking a dwarf in a room with the workshop, gems and an artifact.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: June 06, 2017, 09:23:53 pm »

I've got my first fort with a volcano, so I'm attached, but it's in a hot biome with no river, aquifer or murky pools.  So no water, but there is rainfall.  Is there any way to capture that rainfall?  Haven't found the caverns yet, so dig deeper! is the backup plan, but I'm curious about the other.

You can use DFHack to create some "murky pool" tiles that will convert rain into liquid water.

Artifacts cannot be further decorated/improved.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: June 07, 2017, 09:44:46 am »

I have pierce the aquifer, but i need help draining the aquifer in another zone in the caverns, and construct walls around the stairs.
Its only 1 level aquifer.

What i need?
a) Use only a central stair, removing the tiles and build corners to prevent cancelations.
z 0   z-1

███   ███
█X█   █X█
█O█   ███

b) Dig downstair in the aquifer, draining the water in the lower level upstairs, and the Stairs

z 0   z-1
█<█   █>█
<X<   >X>
█O█   █>█

c) Or can i pump the water in the adjacent tiles in other aquifer, and build the Wall, without needing a cavern/edge fortification for draining?

z +1      z 0
███      ███
█X█      █X█
█▼      █O█
█%█      ███
█%█      ███
█▼█      █▲█
███      ███

Its important, i modded my wife and me in the game, and i don't want to sleep in the couch because i drowned Urist McWife.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: June 08, 2017, 05:25:53 pm »

The wiki page is quite comprehensive: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Aquifer#Dealing_with_aquifers

In my opinion, the easiest approaches, in no particular order, are:

1) Check to see if the aquifer extends to all the biomes in your site. If not, you can simply dig down around it.
2) Expose a 3x3 section of aquifer to the surface and wait for it to freeze in winter (requires cold climate).
3) If your aquifer is stone, you can channel two holes, build a single pump, then send your dwarves down to smooth the stone.
4) You can use setup (c) to place a hatch cover over the stairway, then dig down below the hatch in relative safety
5) You can use setup (c) to build the four walls necessary to isolate the central stairway

Once you're below the aquifer, you can dig a large drain then punch up through the aquifer wherever you want.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: June 13, 2017, 09:06:28 am »

Getting seriously frustrated here trying to build a rail track from 30 levels below the surface to transport wood up to my forges. I build (not carved) all the tracks and ramps, put stops at both ends and setup the route but I have the ! for the route. I tried to set the route from bottom to top and vice versa but it didn't solve anything. I assume I have a problem with ramps where I first build them in the direction of the track (like ramp N) and then later changed them all so instead of ramp N I put in ramp NS but it didn't solve the prob either. I intend to build power to automate it but for start all I want is to make it work so the dwarfs can guide the cart. Could it be a problem because of incline/decline and dwarfs can't guide the cart on slopes?

I watched all I could find on youtube in regards to tracks/carts but I simply don't know how to get the darn thing to work. The wiki is doesn't give enough specific details for me either.

Can someone please point me into the right direction or explain what it could be wrong with my track.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:24 am »

Usually when I get the !, it means there is a break in the track. Are you sure all of your ramps are usable? Meaning there needs to be a wall adjacent to the ramp and underneath the track on z+1. A bad ramp will cause the ! due to an incomplete route.

Another reason for the ! is that in the route stop conditions, the move-cart-in-this-direction-when-condition-is-met is using a direction that doesn't match where the track goes.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: June 13, 2017, 12:06:17 pm »

HUGS&KISSES @anewaname :D

Thank you big time, you solved it. I had one part that went through old mines and there was a part of track that needed a wall.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »

Can there be more carts using the same track? Like a track that goes from z0 toz-30 and have several stops along the way and each stop has it's own cart and they travel on the same track to different stops?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: June 15, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »

Yes if you always have a dwarf push the cart.  Otherwise you might have collisions.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: June 15, 2017, 02:42:57 pm »

My dudes continue to drink from the river. No burrows or other weird stuff. All booze is accessible, in stockpile, underground. They have to walk right by it to get to the river.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: June 15, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »

When you brew new booze, will they go for that?

Other than playing some non-dwarf mod race or vampirizing your fort, they should find the booze easy if they were willing to stockpile it, but doing a 'd'esignate 'b'ulk 'c'laim over the existing booze would not hurt.
     and
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 268