Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1851188 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #420 on: September 02, 2014, 12:18:15 pm »

here's an interesting question, or perhaps just a suggestion:

would we be able to send dwarves from our fort into the hill dwarf communities for any purpose? my though is that useless dwarves could be instructed to join the hill dwarves to help them in some way or another.
I can't link you specifically to where it was said (FotF somewhere, I think), but the short answer is that yes, that's planned for the future.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 02, 2014, 01:08:27 pm »

here's an interesting question, or perhaps just a suggestion:

would we be able to send dwarves from our fort into the hill dwarf communities for any purpose? my though is that useless dwarves could be instructed to join the hill dwarves to help them in some way or another.
I can't link you specifically to where it was said (FotF somewhere, I think), but the short answer is that yes, that's planned for the future.

Here it is, from DF Talk #12, it's a large one (I've bolded and colored the relevant parts)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also relevant: in that same DF Talk, there's a question right there from Rainseeker that says "Are you thinking that you'd allow dwarves to train, or you could set up training that happens off the map, basically?"

Hope it helps.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »

*applauds* I knew I read it somewhere.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 02, 2014, 02:32:54 pm »

I just ...absorbed your recent Russian exploit, near the end you answered a question about fortress armies sent from the fortress into the world and how hill dwarf would fill them out with bodies. I find myself wondering how this would work. Assuming these recruits will need equipment and the fortress is responsible for it, this would be a wonderful opportunity to expand trading.
Do you have a formed idea how hill dwarf<>Fortress trade/transport will be formulated for the player-fort?
It would be kind of funny to see armies of wrestlers tromping around the map if one 'forgets' to send swords.
Or would this work by conscripting hill dwarves for a 50 dorf axemob, these show up at your depot or wherever and pick up the required equipment from your stockpiles, then leave to fill their slot in the 'roaming army entity'? 
Will armies train their troops and if so where? In the field or in barracks at a specified home-site?

About taverns and inns:
Will there be more types of transient visitors from surrounding sites besides the usual traders and envoys?
For example: visiting relatives, farmers from a hill trading some greens at a 'foodshop' for coin then buying manufactured goods, like mugs and socks from a 'goods shop'. Adventurers! looking for good equipment, supplies and quests/rumours. etc. (You did say that the economy will return. :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:40:47 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 02, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »

About taverns and inns:
Will there be more types of transient visitors from surrounding sites besides the usual traders and envoys?
For example: visiting relatives, farmers from a hill trading some greens at a 'foodshop' for coin then buying manufactured goods, like mugs and socks from a 'goods shop'. Adventurers! looking for good equipment, supplies and quests/rumours. etc.
I like this idea, unless they are ‼Adventurers‼ then I'd rather keep them away from the booze :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 02, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »

The trading stuff is planned for certain. I hope we can tell adventurers to lead our troops into battle against an approaching army. That sort of stuff is a long ways off, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2014, 02:41:39 pm »

Indeed. one more job for the sheriff. or !!hammerer!!
edit: Oh my! I just generated a world in 0.40.10 and got some major towerspam. Gonna see how many death-gods there are...(6) then try to meet some.  heheeheeee!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:25:52 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 02, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »

Indeed. one more job for the sheriff. or !!hammerer!!
edit: Oh my! I just generated a world in 0.40.10 and got some major towerspam. Gonna see how many death-gods there are...(6) then try to meet some.  heheeheeee!

This just got fixed (again), apparently the towers were still trying to act like towns, so Toady One turned off that stuff for now.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6691

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 02, 2014, 09:34:20 pm »

It would be great to send an army marching off to attack neighbours. Maybe you're at war with the elves, and you want to wipe out the elves that have been attacking you? Send thirty tough dwarves after them, keeping a few home to cover goblin defence, and when your soldiers return home, they'd have goods from the elves. No more elves attacking you, or maybe you could have an option to show some mercy, and the next caravan to come by has a diplomat, offering lower prices for peace. This could be a use for mounts too, send your dwarves off on some mounts and they'll get to the enemy faster and carry more. If you raided goblins, you could get rare war creatures, like trained ogres and cave dragons.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

About taverns and inns:
For example: visiting relatives, farmers from a hill trading some greens at a 'foodshop' for coin then buying manufactured goods, like mugs and socks from a 'goods shop'. Adventurers! looking for good equipment, supplies and quests/rumours. etc.
I like this idea, unless they are ‼Adventurers‼ then I'd rather keep them away from the booze :)

This specific question is covered in a DF Talk episode. Basically Toady plans for a wide array of characters to hang out at the inns/taverns. Mainly adventurers, but bandits can also be around there and maybe cause a bit of a stirrup, but not always. With bandits and multirracial civilizations there might be also a chance to have goblins peacefully strolling around your fort. Implementing music and musical performance could lead to wandering bards. Hopefully we could also see liars and con-artists impersonating all the above people and scamming the hell out of our dwarves.

The actual quote is this one:

Mercenaries and swords for hire. That's pretty rad.

RIght now, as the world advances, people tend to be more and more related between themselves, with historical figures having a lot of cousins, aunts, brothers and stuff. If visiting relatives are implemented, we could expect huge family meetings per dwarf (with all its deadly consequences) and related shenanigans. It might be pretty cool.

Quote from: StagnantSoul
It would be great to send an army marching off to attack neighbours. Maybe you're at war with the elves, and you want to wipe out the elves that have been attacking you? Send thirty tough dwarves after them, keeping a few home to cover goblin defence, and when your soldiers return home, they'd have goods from the elves. No more elves attacking you, or maybe you could have an option to show some mercy, and the next caravan to come by has a diplomat, offering lower prices for peace. This could be a use for mounts too, send your dwarves off on some mounts and they'll get to the enemy faster and carry more. If you raided goblins, you could get rare war creatures, like trained ogres and cave dragons.

You're supposed to be able to do even more than that! Not just sending your elite, fortress-groomed dwarves into the fray, but also leading a pack of drunks and poorly trained militia from the hill sites to where the battle rages. Spoils of war and loot surely is planned, although I can't remember where I have seen that. Maybe it was a power goal or something like that.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 03, 2014, 04:35:32 am »

Yeah, attacking other sites, I have been waiting for that since 2009 :P
Who knows maybe it'll be there in a year or two.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 03, 2014, 02:45:08 pm »

On the note of morale, horror, and creature enemies,
Are you planning on creating a situation similar to Fear/Hate or such ingrained into a civilization similar to animal training and other "developments"? Or any other morale Fear/Hate kind of emergent behavior that changes on a cultural level from exposure?
If a site is subjected to tons of tiger attacks over time, and the Elves who go to subjugate it field war tigers, will it induce fear? How about when the elves occupy the site, which has goblins living peacefully in it. Will they murder the goblins because all elves from that culture know the only good goblin is a dead goblin despite anything said individual goblin may or may not have done.

Real life examples:
Racism
Bigotry
Hatred of Wolves
War Elephants (Okay, this one is more of an example of how much fear a good mount can be...)

And that also goes to slaughtering loved critters from other civilizations as a method of war
Real life example:
Buffalo Massacre
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 04, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »

The Russian interview was cool, they had some good questions.  More releases!  I can't keep up... 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2014, 10:56:50 am »

Wooden chests brought by elven traders are grown now
I bet the Elves felt really icky when they first realized what they had been carrying around with them.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:57 am »

Allowed recover wounded jobs to bring dwarves to hospital floor if no beds are available
Stopped recover wounded jobs from bringing dwarves to non-hospital beds
Made doctors remove dwarves from traction properly (checks weekly)

That's great news !
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 306