Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1847289 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2014, 03:10:28 pm »

Hello!

Are there plans to go into addressing the limitations and crash bugs in world gen during the current short term debugging?

Personally, I like to gen medium worlds with a history of 500 years (actually, I would love to run the default 1050 years, but this is currently impossible), and even with less than 400 years, the game often crashes, either while creating the world or finalizing sites or other things. So, I am curious whether I still have to remain careful about this.

Yours,
Deathworks

This sounds like the crash you're talking about, but I don't think I've seen corroboration for 0.40.03+.  As always, crashing sets of world gen params are useful.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

Hello!

This sounds like the crash you're talking about, but I don't think I've seen corroboration for 0.40.03+.  As always, crashing sets of world gen params are useful.

Actually, I had posted a report with world gen params for 0.40.02 that did the trick for me:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7115

And looking through the crash report, it seems to be a different one. There is no special lag or anything, just that the game simply crashes - and I mean that it simply disappears - no crash report box from Windows, no nothing; the game's window simply disappears or the screen switches to the desktop and the task is no longer in the task manager.

Yours,
Deathworks

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »

It would be helpful to find a similar set of parameters for 0.40.04 (or whatever newest release is available).

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2014, 12:15:35 am »

07/25/2014 The bug processing continued today.

Ahhhh, so satisfying to observe.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2014, 03:30:35 am »

Are there any plans for some default raw tweaks to areas of the game that aren't likely to come back into development focus for a while but aren't necessarily bugged?

There are two specific examples I'm thinking of. Firstly aboveground animal people aren't very interesting yet (DFTalk #3) and at [FREQUENCY:100] (adopted value from the parent creature) many of the (much more interesting) giant creature varieties are almost never seen in the lifetime of an average fortress in a savage biome. Secondly, while thematically interesting, having dragons grow linearly over 1000 years often leaves players disappointed when their fortress is attacked by a youngish dragon, especially new players who don't realise there is a long growth time, or that it can be modded, and are anticipating oodles of Fun when one arrives.

Edit: Unsustainable grazers, such as elephants, until our dwarves can feed our livestock, is another example.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:38:33 am by Darkweave »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2014, 03:42:13 am »

Are there any plans for some default raw tweaks to areas of the game that likely aren't going to come back into development focus for a while but aren't necessarily bugs? There are two specific examples I'm thinking of. Firstly aboveground animal people aren't very interesting yet (DFTalk #3) and at [FREQUENCY:100] (adopted value from the parent creature) many of the (much more interesting) giant creature varieties are almost never seen in the lifetime of an average fortress in a savage biome. Secondly, while thematically interesting, having dragons grow linearly over 1000 years often leaves players disappointed when their fortress is attacked by a youngish dragon, especially new players who don't realise there is a long growth time, or that it can be modded, and are anticipating oodles of Fun when one arrives.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5462 This bug is about the animal man, and it's marked as Probably Quick Fix, maybe today Toady will fix it.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2014, 03:52:15 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5462 This bug is about the animal man, and it's marked as Probably Quick Fix, maybe today Toady will fix it.

Oh okay, good stuff - hopefully he'll decide it warrants a fix. I swear I spent ages searching for a report on it, maybe I screwed up one of the filters.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2014, 04:12:37 am »

Not related with the Future of Fortress, but yesterday Jake Solomon, designer of the new XCOM, tweeted about Dwarf Fortress.
Bay12games is undoubtedly among the greatest in the industry.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:23:19 am by thvaz »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2014, 08:22:44 am »

As per this thread, it appears that many of the new plants are currently non-functional.

We players could probably restore some of that functionality (making them processable, brewable, etc), but I was wondering: are these plants a priority to be fixed as part of the tree/plant improvements that are part of this version, and should we expect them to be fully implemented as part of the current wave of bugfixing? Could we players effectively "fix" them ourselves with functions already extant in the game? Or are they unfinished because you want to add additional tags/mechanisms that will use these placeholder plants?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2014, 09:03:13 am »

As per this thread, it appears that many of the new plants are currently non-functional.

We players could probably restore some of that functionality (making them processable, brewable, etc), but I was wondering: are these plants a priority to be fixed as part of the tree/plant improvements that are part of this version, and should we expect them to be fully implemented as part of the current wave of bugfixing? Could we players effectively "fix" them ourselves with functions already extant in the game? Or are they unfinished because you want to add additional tags/mechanisms that will use these placeholder plants?

For what it's worth, there's a report.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »

Given the latest news regarding fixes to long-time bugs, will military dwarves automatically prefer the weapon they are carrying when activated and assigned to a uniform with the individual weapon option included? It'd be nice to have a properly-working "minuteman" militia composed of miners, woodcutters, hunters, and rangers that could immediately arm themselves and defend the fort.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2014, 12:32:11 pm »

Given the latest news regarding fixes to long-time bugs, will military dwarves automatically prefer the weapon they are carrying when activated and assigned to a uniform with the individual weapon option included? It'd be nice to have a properly-working "minuteman" militia composed of miners, woodcutters, hunters, and rangers that could immediately arm themselves and defend the fort.

When requesting a bug fix, it never hurts to link the report.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2014, 09:15:11 pm »

ptw
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2014, 09:17:51 pm »

When requesting a bug fix, it never hurts to link the report.

On the other hand, this could be a problem if an immigrant Adept Swordsdwarf arrives with Adept Woodcutter skill (is that possible?). One may prefer this dwarf switch weapons.

Both are fairly minor issues since the equipment can be modified to specify the exact weapon to carry.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:22 am »

Right now, AFAIK, every evil area has foul fog, evil rain, AND undead. When do you plan to give evil areas more variance/personality? For the most part, you've already explained your vision for non-binary good/evil sphere aligned areas, corruption by historical events and malevolent intelligences, and cleansing/purification, so mostly I'm just asking when and how? Like, what sort of stuff would go along with this or happen at the same time, and what needs to be in the game before you can even start working on this?

Relevant posts from the old dev page I found:

Quote from: The old dev page
Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stones sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings. It's important that randomly generated objects be introduced to the player carefully during play rather than just being thrown one after another to allow for immersion, though there's also something to be said for cold dumping the player in a world with completely random settings, provided they can access enough information by looking/listening and having conversations, etc.

Bloat238, REGIONAL EVIL EXPLANATIONS, (Future): Right now, the regions just go bad or good without explanation. There needs to be a backdrop for this, even if magic isn't in the game yet. The evil could be linked to certain historical figures in the region that need to be removed or else the evil keeps replenishing.

Relevant Threetoe story and analysis
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:48:55 am by monkeyfetus »
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 306