Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839480 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #735 on: November 22, 2014, 08:59:20 am »

As I said, I'm pretty sure that sapients won't get the raw changes in the first place, and even if they do, we won't be able to access the gelding option for visitors and such, much like we don't get the option to butcher them (well, proper butchery in the butchers' shop anyway).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:48 am »

I wonder if Toady One realizes the can of worms opened here, heh.

How so.....if you eat beef there is a 80% chance that meat came from a castrated bull (steer), they are castrated because the lack of T causes less muscle development and more marbling, fat in muscle. Castration of house animals hasn't been entirely common until more recent times though the only real focus is a decrease/maintenance of population and avoiding people tossing kittens onto the side of the road because they were to fucking short sited to even give it a though of neutering a cat instead of killing a litter of kittens ever few months, may they be castrated themselves. I doubt Toady will allow players to castrate people, as it is seen as a form of torture which dwarves are 100% against.......the players not so much. Also didn't toady say he wouldn't add torture?

Which brings my question:

Will castrating cows affect meat production......eventually
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:30:13 am by locustgate »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 22, 2014, 10:27:29 am »

Can dwarves or other sentients be neutered intentionally by the player?

If so, when a dwarf or other sentient is neutered, will it cause appropriate bad thoughts?

If both of these things have been considered, will neutered dwarves or sentients seek out lycanthropy or other potential magical cures?

If I neuter all the elves in a trade caravan, will their civilization declare war on my dwarves?

It only works through the Farmer's Workshop, just like designating slaughtering at the Butcher, so sentients aren't taken into consideration.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 22, 2014, 11:57:18 am »

Let's have a question that's got nothing to do with the removal of naughty bits, for a change.

Toady, since you've made it clear in your last talk that you intend to break away from the much frustrating dev cycles with long hiatuses, how do you know whether a release will include a feature worth upgrading to .41.01 (or higher)? As you progress, do you usually know when you intend to add such a feature, and do you know what it will be?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:13:16 pm by Nopenope »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 22, 2014, 12:04:17 pm »

Toady no longer uses the Cores to determine version numbers. IIRC, he still has a list on what certain features are "worth" for version numbers, but that list isn't public. Besides, he doesn't decide on the version number until the release is feature-complete.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 22, 2014, 12:15:27 pm »

Quote from: devlog
To avoid having to create new bodies for the males, there was also a small addition to the raws to allow body part tags to be added/removed after a caste has bodies. It only works with the simple tags like LOWERBODY/STANCE/SIGHT/GUTS/etc. rather than tissue flags at this point, but it's useful for a few things. For example, after declaring the male caste, [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE].

This is pretty cool. Anything that makes raws more flexible makes me happy.

Toady, would you consider allowing those tissue flags to be modified the same way at some point, or would it be too complicated on the programming end to bother with?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »

Toady no longer uses the Cores to determine version numbers. IIRC, he still has a list on what certain features are "worth" for version numbers, but that list isn't public. Besides, he doesn't decide on the version number until the release is feature-complete.
Ah. Since when did he abandon the core system? I guess the wiki should reflect this. Nevertheless, the question still stands, if appropriately edited.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 22, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

Ah. Since when did he abandon the core system? I guess the wiki should reflect this. Nevertheless, the question still stands, if appropriately edited.
I believe he abandoned it with version 0.31.01.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 22, 2014, 01:30:00 pm »

Well that's interesting, because it means the wiki's article for DF's versioning has been falsely (and consistently) maintained for 4 years and a half:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Version_number

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 22, 2014, 04:16:42 pm »

Hrm,

This has the potential to cause some very strong emotional reactions in sentients.

Can dwarves or other sentients be neutered intentionally by the player?

If so, when a dwarf or other sentient is neutered, will it cause appropriate bad thoughts?

If both of these things have been considered, will neutered dwarves or sentients seek out lycanthropy or other potential magical cures?

If I neuter all the elves in a trade caravan, will their civilization declare war on my dwarves?

The job takes place at the farmer's workshop after the animal is designated in a way similar to slaughtering.

Since just quoting that doesn't seem to work... slaughtering is designated in the Z->animals menu. It only counts for animals. You cannot do it to anything other than fortress animals, and when you designate them, the creature is dragged to the butcher's shop and slaughtered. Gelding is the same, except they're dragged to the farmer's workshop and gelded.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 22, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »

If Toady didn't change behaviour to reflect change (breeding on touch instead of spores), I predict that some species will have problems with breeding (egglayers?...) and it will be significantly slower in some cases (grazers on any bigger pasture, anyone?).

Toady probably will have to address it after complaints of players.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #746 on: November 22, 2014, 04:56:16 pm »

they can't have other creatures sharing rooms with them because if one of those extras steps on her nest box tile she will get disturbed and the eggs die. Because of this, every other clutch dies because when one clutch hatches the female immediately lays a second, and the hatchlings immediately disturb her and thus kill the eggs

I couldn't find a bug report for this -- the eggs are supposed to last a week unattended, the egg-sitting behavior is fairly high priority, and the timer resets if there is any sitting at all, so minor disturbances shouldn't matter.  I don't have a lot of in-game experience though -- does the weekly timer seem to be broken?  Or do they not go back to their box?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 22, 2014, 05:47:14 pm »

They always go back to their box, yes. I suppose I can test again whether this timer is working in the latest versions, but in the past I've had zero luck getting eggs to hatch if access to the nest box wasn't strictly controlled.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 22, 2014, 06:10:24 pm »

I couldn't find a bug report for this -- the eggs are supposed to last a week unattended, the egg-sitting behavior is fairly high priority, and the timer resets if there is any sitting at all, so minor disturbances shouldn't matter.  I don't have a lot of in-game experience though -- does the weekly timer seem to be broken?  Or do they not go back to their box?
I believe there is some confusion over how egg laying worked exactly (I didn't know there was a weekly timer, and it isn't mentioned on the wiki).  There are a lot of variables involved, mainly due to whether or not the eggs are fertilized.  It is hard to tell if the eggs failed to hatch due to an egg-layer with insufficient time on the nest box, interruption by other creatures, or because the egg wasn't fertilized in the first place.  I was under the impression that the bird needed to stay on the nest box the whole time, and no creature could ever be on the nest box other than the mother, or the eggs would never hatch.  However, I vaguely remember seeing an elk bird move off of a nest box (for training as I recall), thinking the eggs were ruined, then seeing them hatch anyway.

The concern is that you'll need males close to the females under the new system, and current approaches to handle the confusion (I'm looking at you, Incubation Chamber on the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Nest_box) don't have them present.  It's hard enough to tell if eggs are fertilized as they are now (you essentially just wait two seasons and hope something hatches), and it seems that it will be even harder in the future when you also need males (who may not even be interested in the females according to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7651) nearby.  On top of that, short times between eggs collected / hatched and laid would seem to make it difficult for the males to fertilize the eggs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 22, 2014, 06:26:43 pm »

they can't have other creatures sharing rooms with them because if one of those extras steps on her nest box tile she will get disturbed and the eggs die. Because of this, every other clutch dies because when one clutch hatches the female immediately lays a second, and the hatchlings immediately disturb her and thus kill the eggs

The Toady One does not have a lot of experience playing his own game? lol.

I don't think anybody knew of the weekly timer, at least I didn't see it documented. It might not be reported as a bug because nobody really knew how exactly it was supposed to work.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:29:08 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 306