Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 208140 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Many Innocent Deaths)
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2015, 10:24:51 am »

You know, I'm thinking that if embarked in an evil biome, one could butcher a small animal, like chicken.
But build the butcher with cage traps around it and into choke point exit.
Toggle off auto tanner / render, and capture a bunch of animated chicken skins.
If chicken don't provide skins, maybe test ducks, peahen.
Turkeys definitely provide constant leather for me, but I have to test animated turkey skin.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2015, 03:37:27 pm »

Skin can be very lethal. It seems that it retains the original creature's mass without taking into account all the missing bits when it wrestles. Water buffalo bull skins are particularly lethal. Best just to animate some horse hair or something.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 06, 2015, 02:48:19 am »

Or, you could do as I did: embark near a few necro towers and litter the area with cage traps. With any luck you'll catch a necromancer who'll reanimate anything for you. I now have two that I hope to put to good use reanimating hair for my students.

One downside for this approach are constant undead sieges. When one bunch of bacon leaves another soon follows to continue the Thriller act on the surface. They keep my dwarves from harvesting wood for the training spears and are generally a nuisance since my three-dwarf militia can't yet match forty zombies in battle.

I was eventually so frustrated I resorted to dfhack liquids and dumped a sheet of magma over one undead army. That took care of them but the resulting wildfire burned down most of the trees and left the surface a wasteland of ash striped with trails of elf grease.

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:32 am »

Was the grease from elf zombies or just elves?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:29 am »

Or, you could do as I did: embark near a few necro towers and litter the area with cage traps. With any luck you'll catch a necromancer who'll reanimate anything for you. I now have two that I hope to put to good use reanimating hair for my students.

One downside for this approach are constant undead sieges. When one bunch of bacon leaves another soon follows to continue the Thriller act on the surface. They keep my dwarves from harvesting wood for the training spears and are generally a nuisance since my three-dwarf militia can't yet match forty zombies in battle.

I was eventually so frustrated I resorted to dfhack liquids and dumped a sheet of magma over one undead army. That took care of them but the resulting wildfire burned down most of the trees and left the surface a wasteland of ash striped with trails of elf grease.

Yeah, too much undead, that even using cage traps becomes a full time job for haulers / mechanics.   

I've successfully create an "air-lock bridge-pit cage-trap hallway" of sorts with some success.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I caught 2 necro and a were-something in a different test set, I may look into that.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »

Was the grease from elf zombies or just elves?

That siege was mostly elf corpses, with few zombie dwarves thrown in. For some reason there was one live elf spearman among them; I can't even imagine what motivated him to hang out in that company. Anyway, magma doesn't discriminate; it loves everyone equally.

I've sent my dwarves to assault the remaining trees while there's still time before the next siege. The basic training classroom is still missing few hundred training spears.

Uhhh... welcome?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:00 pm »

Skin can be very lethal. It seems that it retains the original creature's mass without taking into account all the missing bits when it wrestles. Water buffalo bull skins are particularly lethal. Best just to animate some horse hair or something.

Can't you cut the zombies to pieces with discs (bonus points if it is a pig tail)? And does it currently work? I remember people posted about dwarves ignoring vital needs such as drinking while locked in eternal combat with zombies.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 06, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »

Can't you cut the zombies to pieces with discs (bonus points if it is a pig tail)? And does it currently work? I remember people posted about dwarves ignoring vital needs such as drinking while locked in eternal combat with zombies.

Hair can re-animate, and sheep wool can be harvested to re-animate via Farmer's Workshop + cage traps all around.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 06, 2015, 08:50:12 pm »

Hair can re-animate, and sheep wool can be harvested to re-animate via Farmer's Workshop + cage traps all around.
I don't think animated hair can even be hit/killed. Everything passes through.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 06, 2015, 09:06:44 pm »

It is possible to kill hair zombie but that is when they have a head.
Something like alpaca [body_part_name_here ] wool is almost impossible to kill though.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2015, 11:25:07 am »

I don't think animated hair can even be hit/killed. Everything passes through.

Pretty much. But the hair has no problem passing through your dwarfs, killing them fairly quickly.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Eddlm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2015, 09:00:39 am »

I have finished reading this thread, and it amazes me. Its great to see you people finally proved that you can use these useless kids for something, to have an investment on them that you can benefit from in the long run.

Sadly I have little to contribute, as I don't know much about DF. I've only played a few hours.

But count with my support in this project!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:30 am »

While the seventeen children of Moonpalace are getting their Observer grades out of the way in the militia barracks, hundreds of training spears are slowly getting installed into the latest edition of Basic Training Room.

I'm again using the same basic layout: a large cross-shaped room with a swimming pool in the middle. This time I'm trying out a minecart repeater for the spear trap automation. The traps will be triggered in twin checkerboard patterns by two pressure plates; in theory this should increase training speed by ensuring more hits over time.

There will of course be an emergency shutdown lever but I'm still unsure about speed when I have to rely on lazy dwarves to walk over the lever and pull it to stop the bloodshed. That's why I'm planning to build an in-school hospital again, just in case.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:57:05 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 09, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »

While the seventeen children of Moonpalace are getting their Observer grades out of the way in the militia barracks, hundreds of training spears are slowly getting installed into the latest edition of Basic Training Room.

I'm again using the same basic layout: a large cross-shaped room with a swimming pool in the middle. This time I'm trying out a minecart repeater for the spear trap automation. The traps will be triggered in twin checkerboard patterns by two pressure plates; in theory this should increase training speed by ensuring more hits over time.

There will of course be an emergency shutdown lever but I'm still unsure about speed when I have to rely on lazy dwarves to walk over the lever and pull it to stop the bloodshed. That's why I'm planning to build an in-school hospital again, just in case.

I know that I can do a: Lever -> link -> Upright Spear, and manually repeat pull. 

But for minecart repeater, do you use Pressure Plate -> link - Upright Spear?

I am wondering if it can be linked to a screw pump or gear.

So my theory (at work), either:
Waterwheel -> Screw Pump -> Gear1 -> Upright Spear, so it's possible to stop it by attaching Lever -> Gear1.
or
Waterwheel -> Gear2 -> Gear1 -> Upright Spear, so it's possible to stop it by attaching Lever -> Gear1.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 09, 2015, 04:05:38 pm »

As far as I know only levers and pressure plates can be used to control upright spear traps. You could, however, use mechanical power indirectly to pump water over a pressure plate to trigger it. I wouldn't bother though; a simple repeater is more practical if there aren't any specific needs.

Here's a link to the minecart repeater I used:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114695.0

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62