Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 194117 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Israeli and Russian media are reporting that Chinese advisers and a carrier have moved into Syria, with the presumed assumption that China is entering the world stage. This will certainly be a first for many.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never trust anything on RT.com.
What can anyone say about this Debka.com?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

DEBKAfile (Hebrew: תיק דבקה‎) is an Israeli military intelligence website based in Jerusalem, providing commentary and analyses on terrorism, intelligence, national security, military and international relations, with a particular focus on the Middle East. It is available in both English and Hebrew. The word "Debka" refers to an Arab folk dance.
The site started in the summer of 2000, and is operated from the Jerusalem home of journalists Giora Shamis and Diane Shalem. It has been awarded Forbes' Best of the Web award. Forbes identifies the best part of the website as being its archives, but decries the fact that "most of the information is attributed to unidentified sources."
Wired.com's Noah Shachtman wrote in 2001 that the site "clearly reports with a point of view; the site is unabashedly in the hawkish camp of Israeli politics". Yediot Achronot investigative reporter Ronen Bergman states that the site relies on information from sources with an agenda, such as neo-conservative elements of the US Republican Party, "whose worldview is that the situation is bad and is only going to get worse," and that Israeli intelligence officials do not consider even 10 percent of the site's content to be reliable. Cornell Law professor Michael C. Dorf calls Debka his "favorite alarmist Israeli website trading in rumors."
The site's operators, in contrast, state that 80 percent of what Debka reports turns out to be true, and point to its year 2000 prediction that al-Qaeda would again strike the World Trade Center, and that it had warned well before the 2006 war in Lebanon that Hezbollah had amassed 12,000 Katyusha rockets pointed at northern Israel.
It's good for rumours, but wait for other reliable news sources to confirm those rumours as fact

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DEBKAfile (Hebrew: תיק דבקה‎) is an Israeli military intelligence website based in Jerusalem, providing commentary and analyses on terrorism, intelligence, national security, military and international relations, with a particular focus on the Middle East. It is available in both English and Hebrew. The word "Debka" refers to an Arab folk dance.
The site started in the summer of 2000, and is operated from the Jerusalem home of journalists Giora Shamis and Diane Shalem. It has been awarded Forbes' Best of the Web award. Forbes identifies the best part of the website as being its archives, but decries the fact that "most of the information is attributed to unidentified sources."
Wired.com's Noah Shachtman wrote in 2001 that the site "clearly reports with a point of view; the site is unabashedly in the hawkish camp of Israeli politics". Yediot Achronot investigative reporter Ronen Bergman states that the site relies on information from sources with an agenda, such as neo-conservative elements of the US Republican Party, "whose worldview is that the situation is bad and is only going to get worse," and that Israeli intelligence officials do not consider even 10 percent of the site's content to be reliable. Cornell Law professor Michael C. Dorf calls Debka his "favorite alarmist Israeli website trading in rumors."
The site's operators, in contrast, state that 80 percent of what Debka reports turns out to be true, and point to its year 2000 prediction that al-Qaeda would again strike the World Trade Center, and that it had warned well before the 2006 war in Lebanon that Hezbollah had amassed 12,000 Katyusha rockets pointed at northern Israel.
It's good for rumours, but wait for other reliable news sources to confirm those rumours as fact
Offtopic but what is considered a reliable news source that when its posted its fact? Or better said what are the sources you trust?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:19:13 am by miljan »
Make love not war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is considered a reliable news source that when its posted its fact?

Well, a google news search for "china syria" (without the quotations) does yeild various reports of China getting involved in some way and theres one report about Chinese troops wanting to join in and several about the carrier and some about it being involved diplomatically. There isn't really anything on major news sites like CNN or BBC though, not about the carrier or the troops anyway.

I'm not sure what the 'horse' is that they have in Syria either, other than wanting to play with the big boys so to speak.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

There is also a bunch of article claiming the carrier story is a fake. Frankly, if Chinas only aircraft carrier was to cross into the Medditerranean, itd make front-page news.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is also a bunch of article claiming the carrier story is a fake. Frankly, if Chinas only aircraft carrier was to cross into the Medditerranean, itd make front-page news.

Good point on that actually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To continue on this vein of thought, major oil reserves have been found in the golan heights. The volume of oil is potentially in the billions of barrels worth, more than enough to supply Israel's energy needs for the forseeable future. Most interesting; it remains to be seen whether this oil will be economically viable now or in the future.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It means that you can give permission to other countries to use your air space, as was the case here.

How they look form the gorund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2Pzxbzvsk

Anyway, this is the first use of russian cruise missiles in a real time war environment.

There is a bigger offence of syrian government forces on terrorism(like al-Nusra) and west backed rebels (as both groups are often working together)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKwbKBtUQA

Hezbollah & Syria Army Against FSA in Battle of Zabadani (little old)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAosiLgmH2E
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:47:38 am by miljan »
Make love not war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It means that you can give permission to other countries to use your air space, as was the case here.

Anyway, this is the first use of russian cruise missiles in a real time war environment.

Pretty sure that was meant as a rhetorical question because Turkey was complaining about Russian jets crossing theirs without permission.

Also, I seriously doubt it's Russias VERY first time using cruise missiles (which have been around since WWII or very soon after, depending on how you classify the V-1 and V-2) in a real time war environment, which has been a thing since the first Gulf War at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Pretty sure that was meant as a rhetorical question because Turkey was complaining about Russian jets crossing theirs without permission.

Also, I seriously doubt it's Russias VERY first time using cruise missiles (which have been around since WWII or very soon after, depending on how you classify the V-1 and V-2) in a real time war environment, which has been a thing since the first Gulf War at least.
I think it's the first time Russia used sea-based cruise missiles in war, though. At least that's what the news says.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

"Unlike CNN, we don't report quoting anonymous sources, but we show launches of our missiles and the targets they hit in real-time mode," the statement reads, noting that Russian drones are operating in Syria around the clock, presumably monitoring operations.

It continues, "No matter how unpleasant and unexpected it is for our colleagues in the Pentagon and Langley, our strike yesterday with precision-guided weapons at ISIS infrastructure in Syria hit its targets."

In response, one U.S. official familiar with the intelligence reports told CNN, "These are the people who told us there were no little green men in Crimea."
Shots fired

How exactly do you miss by two whole countries anyways?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Unlike CNN, we don't report quoting anonymous sources, but we show launches of our missiles and the targets they hit in real-time mode," the statement reads, noting that Russian drones are operating in Syria around the clock, presumably monitoring operations.

It continues, "No matter how unpleasant and unexpected it is for our colleagues in the Pentagon and Langley, our strike yesterday with precision-guided weapons at ISIS infrastructure in Syria hit its targets."

In response, one U.S. official familiar with the intelligence reports told CNN, "These are the people who told us there were no little green men in Crimea."
Shots fired

How exactly do you miss by two whole countries anyways?

Mechanical failure? Though if four crashed, then I would probably think there is some greater flaw than one random missile being a dud.

At least it's theirs that crashed in Iran and not ours.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 136