Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 359001 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- in development
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2014, 04:28:40 pm »

Dear Media:

Get off your asses and post dat shit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »

For real dude.
Shoes...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2014, 10:56:59 pm »

Don't worry, we're not gonna jump you.
Yet. :P

*twitch*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2014, 04:08:36 am »

Is it possible for the Chosen One to reject the idea of actually being the one? I'd imagine a bit of resistance would make sense if everyone knows what happened to the last guy with that title. Also, is a new hero spawned in at level 1 when another Chosen One is needed, or can an existing hero be chosen under specific circumstances. Is it also possible for hero's to retire or age?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2014, 10:09:28 am »

Dear Media:

Get off your asses and post dat shit.

The marketing game combined with the waiting game makes me horribly anxious - luckily there are a couple of sites that reliably post our updates when they're pushed, but we're hoping to snag a bigger site before KS.  Sending out some "Hey, you still going to post that update this week?" emails today.

As for the Chosen One, he goes through a "Accepting his Destiny" quest at a certain point, and it has additional dangers (mostly just affecting how long it takes) based on how many previous Chosen Ones there were, and though it doesn't account for how grisly their end was it does take longer if the previous one was Corrupted - and a previously corrupted Chosen One always gives infiltration on the new Chosen One's destiny quests, which is obviously very useful.

When the Chosen One is corrupted/killed, a new hero of lesser level gains the mantle and must go through his Accepting his Destiny quest.

Hero's CAN retire but not from age - it is possible to get them to give the adventuring life by demoralizing them, and you can force class changes by removing values from characters.  For instance, one of the "worst" classes is sellsword, which is an amoral hero that simply goes after gold based quests and gets very mundane abilities.  You can "force" a class switch to sellsword by isolating a hero from friends or by having him betrayed by the cause he champions. 

Retirement isn't in the picture because the amount of time that passes is meant to be relatively short, perhaps a decade or so.  The game world is meant to be more static than something like Civilization - the resources that exist are what is available to be used and once expended are difficult or impossible to replace which breeds a different kind of strategic gameplay.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:14 am »

Well, you could do an end run around the marketing, and just give Bay12 some demos to play with ;)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:38 am »

Well, you could do an end run around the marketing, and just give Bay12 some demos to play with ;)

I also support giving bay12 demos maybe even before everyone else ;)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:01 am »

I, for one, welcome our new demolords.

Also, when you say that the resources are all there is, does that mean that these resources eventually run out (without your intervention, i mean) and the world will eventually descend into "resource wars"? Or do you actually mean that the resources that we see are "infinite" in that they will always be there, but there are no more resource "nodes" to discover, unless through event?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2014, 12:25:36 pm »

We added a Bay 12 Event in to the game (and it's great), that's as close to an exclusive as we can give - seriously though when the polished demo is done (which always seems to be getting further away because Marketing is the devil) I will post it here immediately.  You guys have been great not just for enthusiasm but also for constructive criticism and I hope that to continue well into the game's release and continued support.

By resources I meant more along the idea of Armies, Heroes, Population and such - when you smash a human army and destroy it's elite cavalry it is unlikely in the scope of the game that they will be able to train an equivalent force.  This kind of "attrition" is part of the strategy of the game.  Those elite units and champions are devastatingly powerful and like I've said in the past if they ever worked together the nations would be unstoppable, at least at the START of the scenario - making sure they squander those resources before they begin to war against you is a great strategy. 

However more literal resources are also finite, a farmland village will make 2 food - that number can be augmented slightly (good administration, druids blessing it) and of course destroyed by you (burning farmlands, destroying the village, or more passively by luring away the menfolk through forcing a levy) but all in all the world is as developed as its going to be.  There are no new villages to found for the nations, they aren't growing like in Civilization they are more along the lines of Europa Univeralis - expansion must come at the cost of their neighbors.  Their are exceptions to this of course, The North Burns contains a large contingent of tribal nations (depending on your choices), these nations can "modernize" somewhat or also "unify" and these major Campaign events are part of the game's mechanics.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:58 pm »

Modern armies =/= medieval style armies...older armies did have kings and other leaders actually with the troops on a regular basis
See: Battle of Hastings

Is this a counter point or in support of my statement...confused lol

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

Both William and Harold Godwinson were at the battle and Harold was killed.  He's supporting you.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »

We added a Bay 12 Event in to the game

Mission accomplished. Part of our ongoing effort to ensure there's a little bit of DF in every game out there.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:01 pm »

We added a Bay 12 Event in to the game

Mission accomplished. Part of our ongoing effort to ensure there's a little bit of DF in every game out there.
You put Boatmurdered in the game didn't you. 
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »

You could also add Urist or Cacame to the list of generated names.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:37 pm »

Or add Cacame or Captain Ironblood as one of the possible chosen ones. Altough it would be terrifying going against either of them. Its probably a boatmurdered event :P

Our ongoing efforts to put a bit of DF in every sort of fantasy themed game ever seem to be going well, since it seems to happen even with games we have no influence over, such as diablo 3 and WoW :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 210