Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357586 times)

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #705 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:56 am »

Eh, like Jalek said, that theme/ability seems too redundant to warrant distinct Agent. You can use the Hero's weaknesses with any Duelist Agents and achieve a similar thing.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #706 on: October 08, 2014, 09:03:19 am »

Eh, like Jalek said, that theme/ability seems too redundant to warrant distinct Agent. You can use the Hero's weaknesses with any Duelist Agents and achieve a similar thing.

To second this, the mechanic of infuriating a hero and trying to lure him out to make foolish mistakes is part of the game and any Agent can try to rile them up to that extent.  Some Agents are definitely better at it than others, but it is a core (and fun) mechanic.

Endless Simulation achieved!

Someone backed 300$ more.

i really hope this reaches 53k.

I do as well!  We're going to release a video showing off the Procedural Generation solution we have been working on, I think it's pretty clever.   I also hope we get another 1k backer, the 1k tier really benefits everyone since that person is personally funding an agent.

Congrats on yet another stretch goal, though it didn't seem that surprising at this point. I think that, unless potential investors get some sort of additional incentive (demo), we're going to be really hard pressed for the next stretch goal.

How's the next video going to come along?

We're releasing the prior demo in 3 parts starting today (uploaded last night), we need to somewhat draw it out while we get the Procedural Demo Video up and running.   We also have about 40 minutes of military gameplay we need to distil down, but that's going to be a lower priority then the Procedural Demo. 

I'm agenting all over the place.  If I had a million bucks...

You mentioned duelist agents so this might already exist in some form.  The Champion (or something) is a mysterious warrior who specializes in luring people into single combat and fucking them up.  Abilities are combat stuff based around forcing heroes to fight one on one to the death and killing them in said manfights.

Scheme is Vendetta, sends a hero a challenge he can't refuse.  He gets a compulsion to seek out the Champion and duel him, slowly losing will (and falling prey to some kind of insanity/corruption if it gets too low, permanent berserk rage maybe?) the longer he goes without fighting him.  Probably would need some kind of lesser but equivalent effect on the Champion so you don't just keep running away until the guy goes crazy.

Set him up in some high-danger dungeon or something and send the call to some hero, watch him abandon his mission to go on some suicidal cross-country journey to duel a guy who will almost certainly kill him.

The problem is that the Hound somewhat has a similar ability, as long as his target remains wounded he can continue to Bay at him - driving him slowly insane unless he comes out to confront the Hound.  We only have one Agent that has the duelist trait by default, but his skill is devastatingly political.

With the minions that your agents can have, do some of them have some sort of passive bonus they bring if there is another army in the area doing its own thing? Like, say, your agent has some giants with him and an army of yours clashes with another in the same POI, can you use those giants to provide "shock" damage or whatever at the risk of getting them killed? I'd imagine they would be hard to miss in a middle of a war-zone.

If you have an army there you can join the army and fight, or you can engage in guerilla warfare.  Some minions do have unique challenges that affect military battles outside of actually fighting.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:57 am »

We're releasing the prior demo in 3 parts starting today (uploaded last night), we need to somewhat draw it out while we get the Procedural Demo Video up and running.   We also have about 40 minutes of military gameplay we need to distil down, but that's going to be a lower priority then the Procedural Demo. 

Dammit, I got all excited and a little confused at this part until I realized that you probably meant "We're releasing the prior DEVLOG in 3 parts starting today". Oh well, the video is still welcome anyway.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:10 am »

I noticed that in the stats screen the number of nations is 16 but the number of champions is 8, is this the condition at game start, where 8 champions have been pregenerated and more champions will be selected in the 8 nations without champions? Or is it the total number of nations that are able to have champions? I always expected each nation to have a champion for some reason, like a representative of the nation at a hero vs. agent level of the game which would otherwise be difficult for the nation to interact with directly.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 08, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »

By the way, the endless simulation update mentioned the possibility of some sort of continuity with the old ones you use between each scenario, if you want. How would that work, and is there some sort of character creation and statistics screen you could have for your old one to represent it's "birth" and journey through the dimensions? Could there be a bunch of custom ritual trees you could assign to your old one at start so you wouldn't have to make your own rituals in the editor and be forced to constantly fine tune and balance?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 08, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »

Ermahgerd, that is one sexy mod toolkit. Not being proficient in scripting myself, I'm glad you broke it down as simplistically as possible. Love that we can just raw import assets into the map, in lots of games that is a huge pain in the ass if it's possible at all.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #711 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:19 pm »

Ermahgerd, that is one sexy mod toolkit. Not being proficient in scripting myself, I'm glad you broke it down as simplistically as possible. Love that we can just raw import assets into the map, in lots of games that is a huge pain in the ass if it's possible at all.

We tried to follow our mantra of keeping the most common use case incredibly simple - which has helped us a lot in creating large scenarios very quickly.  The down side is that if you want to do something more complicated you can end up with a clutter on the screen, wait until you see Video 2 where I have maybe 14 windows open at a time.

I'm actually really excited to overhaul the gui for the editor, a lot of it was done "expediently" when we needed to get that element into the game and with a little tender love and care it will be much more user friendly.

I noticed that in the stats screen the number of nations is 16 but the number of champions is 8, is this the condition at game start, where 8 champions have been pregenerated and more champions will be selected in the 8 nations without champions? Or is it the total number of nations that are able to have champions? I always expected each nation to have a champion for some reason, like a representative of the nation at a hero vs. agent level of the game which would otherwise be difficult for the nation to interact with directly.

Not every nation will have a Champion - though almost every major nation will have at least one.  It was a design choice on our end to represent a weakness on the part of that nation that they don't have the capabilities a Champion offers, not only does it make them a more viable choice for infiltration early in the game it also makes you want to prevent them from gaining Champions as the game goes on.

By the way, the endless simulation update mentioned the possibility of some sort of continuity with the old ones you use between each scenario, if you want. How would that work, and is there some sort of character creation and statistics screen you could have for your old one to represent it's "birth" and journey through the dimensions? Could there be a bunch of custom ritual trees you could assign to your old one at start so you wouldn't have to make your own rituals in the editor and be forced to constantly fine tune and balance?

Some of that is still TBD - we were mostly keeping the implications of the scenario you were in - tracking the corrupted, the Chosen One, your important campaigns you participated in etc - and then having that impact your next playthrough.  In addition we were envisioning a mechanic where you could evolve your power in response to your success dealing with prophecy in each game, coming finally to unravel prophecy forever in the end.

You can make a ton of custom rituals, but those are generally not assigned to an Old One (though that option exists). 
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:40 pm »

You can make a ton of custom rituals, but those are generally not assigned to an Old One (though that option exists). 

What I meant is that can there be a list of pre-made powers somewhere that I can switch out with the various old ones existing ritual trees so that I can add a more personable touch without having to make a power myself?

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 08, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »

Not every nation will have a Champion - though almost every major nation will have at least one.  It was a design choice on our end to represent a weakness on the part of that nation that they don't have the capabilities a Champion offers, not only does it make them a more viable choice for infiltration early in the game it also makes you want to prevent them from gaining Champions as the game goes on.

And some nice advantages if you get one of your corrupted heroes into the coveted post?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #714 on: October 08, 2014, 07:07:48 pm »

What I meant is that can there be a list of pre-made powers somewhere that I can switch out with the various old ones existing ritual trees so that I can add a more personable touch without having to make a power myself?

Ahh, ok so our terminology is Rituals are "Challenges" that Agents perform - whereas what you are talking about are Old One Ancient Abilities or more commonly just "Abilities." 

This is actually a really great suggestion - I'll show you how quick it is to either slot in and out Abilities from different Ability Trees, change a simple modifier to make them more/less powerful, or add a quick effect.  The mod tools for abilities and effects are very simple to use, though some of Effect Codes can be incomprehensible (which is why we need to add in tooltips). 

And some nice advantages if you get one of your corrupted heroes into the coveted post?

Exactly!
That Which Sleeps

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 08, 2014, 07:40:41 pm »

Is it possible for there to be multiple Champions per nation? If so, do they form one single "squad" (party) or act independently depending on the situation?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #716 on: October 08, 2014, 08:06:46 pm »

Is it possible for there to be multiple Champions per nation? If so, do they form one single "squad" (party) or act independently depending on the situation?

There is no limit to the number of Champions a nation can have, but outside of the Knight class (a mid tier fighter class that requires sponsorship by a nation) heroes do not often become Champions of a nation.  If a sufficiently large threat emerged they may form a Party but in general they act independently to efficiently put down threats and help bolster the nation depending on their class.
That Which Sleeps

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 09, 2014, 06:19:03 am »

Another 1000$ backer.
(And thus, a new agent type)

Cool.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 09, 2014, 11:08:52 am »

There is no limit to the number of Champions a nation can have, but outside of the Knight class (a mid tier fighter class that requires sponsorship by a nation) heroes do not often become Champions of a nation.  If a sufficiently large threat emerged they may form a Party but in general they act independently to efficiently put down threats and help bolster the nation depending on their class.

Is there a cost to having/creating Champions? Why wouldn't a nation sponsor several?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 09, 2014, 11:22:26 am »

Probably the costs associated with it, fluffwise anyways.  Champions represent the realm in question and are likely to gain a lot of support of all types from the nation they represent.  Having more then 1 may be costly and egos of multiple champions may clash, even as far going out of their way to deny help to each other, all the while flittering the resources of the realm to accomplish that.  /fluff
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 210