Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358784 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #795 on: October 14, 2014, 05:44:04 pm »

I was just reading through the reddit forum and saw an interesting proposal; that the portraits of the heroes be dynamically generated with a simple set of hair, eyes, armour, colour scheme (skin and clothing) and whatnot that change during the course of the game to reflect whatever "journey" that hero has been going through. A mercenary that's been through a lot of battles and has lost faith (will) will have scars and ruined armour and whatnot. What are your thoughts on a system like that?

Also, since the endless simulation is now in, do you plan on having agents being able to level up like heroes (though through a different set rules), since they now have a reason, story wise, to grow older, wiser and more experienced within the now much longer time-frame of the game?

It's actually very expensive to get that kind of dynamic solution working right and not looking very plain - the anime style for instance is one of the ways to accomplish that on a reasonable budget.  If you're trying to accomplish that effect it makes sense to make the transition to 3D, at that point the amount of money you're paying would get you high quality textured models that are themselves customizable.  With all that being said, we'll probably be stick with class-specific 2D painted portraits - we're still trying to get the most "bang for the buck" with the money coming in and I don't think it would make sense for the reasons given.

We still want to stick with Agents having their own separate path to empowerment - even though they don't level up through experience like Heroes do you will have HIGHLY customized agents after the many decades they are in your service - gaining decorations for battle, infiltrating and gaining traits from guilds and orders, gaining powerful artifacts, and of course being imbued with Ancient Power. 
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 14, 2014, 10:59:41 pm »

Posting to say that I love the progress so far into the game on what we know. I actually have been working in the depths of my mind on the world building event, but regardless.

However, I am a bit curious though, on one thing. You have shown us the strength of early and mid game agents and their actions. My question is, what are those compared to the Old One itself? Would Baron Greywind in a (hypothetical) fight get his arse handed to him by the Old Ones themselves, once they awaken?
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:17 am »

And, we just broke 53K! The last two days were amazing.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:37 am »

And at the speed we're headed at there's a good chance we'll at least break the 58k boundary as well. Might just have to upgrade to the Beta level despite my earlier protests. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 15, 2014, 01:45:59 am »

I've given in and backed this. I really admire how you're being so transparent and informative about your games development.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:50 am »

Posting to say that I love the progress so far into the game on what we know. I actually have been working in the depths of my mind on the world building event, but regardless.

However, I am a bit curious though, on one thing. You have shown us the strength of early and mid game agents and their actions. My question is, what are those compared to the Old One itself? Would Baron Greywind in a (hypothetical) fight get his arse handed to him by the Old Ones themselves, once they awaken?

As powerful as the Baron is he wouldn't have a chance in a duel against even the weakest corporeal form of an Old One.  Only a truly diverse group of powerful heroes has a chance at taking down the Old One at that sage, and many of their number would die in the attempt.  The only exception is one Old One who can send out Avatars early on, these vary in strength depending on the incarnation and not indicative of the Old One's true form.

And, we just broke 53K! The last two days were amazing.

Pretty amazing!  We really expected to limp to 6-8k on the first week, launch the demo around the end of Week 2, and that would give us the surge up to 15-20k.  Instead, the idea of the game has really resonated with people - and having the stretch goals defined by the community helped get even more interest. 

I would expect things to slow down a bit now, people really wanted to secure Procedural Generation and I am EXTREMELY happy to have it included in the game.

I've given in and backed this. I really admire how you're being so transparent and informative about your games development.

Thanks!  It's the only way I know how to be - I'm very excited to be working with all of the enthusiastic backers to better define the game's aesthetic and refine the game-play.
That Which Sleeps

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:21 am »

just watched a few of the devlogs and i've gotta admit i'm very impressed!

btw you should lower the music volume and up the voicing as it's hard to figure out what you're saying

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 15, 2014, 09:58:03 am »

So what would happen if the "life goes on" goal is met but the other two aren't? I think it would look a bit odd if all those trade caravans, peaceful farmers and flourishing fields were to just "disappear" like they never existed when the shit hits the fan.

just watched a few of the devlogs and i've gotta admit i'm very impressed!

btw you should lower the music volume and up the voicing as it's hard to figure out what you're saying

Yeah, that was pretty much the number one complaint with the videos. At least our criticisms were directed at technical errors rather then the content of the actual videos.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #803 on: October 15, 2014, 11:30:11 am »

So what would happen if the "life goes on" goal is met but the other two aren't? I think it would look a bit odd if all those trade caravans, peaceful farmers and flourishing fields were to just "disappear" like they never existed when the shit hits the fan.

This point was raised by another backer as well - we wouldn't just cut off all art assets at a certain point, you would see diminishing trade over time, less happy farmers plowing their fields, etc.  In addition, the wasteland that can be left behind by your conquest will be naturally desolate - though we wouldn't see slaves being shipped back to the mines it will still leave an impression at a glance. 

Ideally we'll hit both goals and not have to worry about this, but I don't think there will be an issue with only the first goal being reached.
That Which Sleeps

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 15, 2014, 01:36:49 pm »

Interesting news, someone from the 1K tier upped his pledge to the 3K tier!
That means a new scenario for all of us, yay!

I'm a little sad to see the additional agent go though, does he also get to create one?

This also puts us at 55,25K, a mere 2.75K away from the next stretch goal, which we should hit within a day or two if everything goes well.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:41:22 pm by Astfgl66 »

ERICdb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 15, 2014, 02:06:34 pm »

I'm a little sad to see the additional agent go though, does he also get to create one?

This also puts us at 55,25K, a mere 2.75K away from the next stretch goal, which we should hit within a day or two if everything goes well.

OMG! Let's Praise The Sun together! This is getting even more exciting than before! The only thing this project needs is that we make sure we give great feedback during the beta phase, and with the current development of events I'm feeling comfortable to say it will! :P

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #806 on: October 15, 2014, 05:24:18 pm »

That backer will still be able to create an Agent, so the count does not diminish. 

OMG! Let's Praise The Sun together! This is getting even more exciting than before! The only thing this project needs is that we make sure we give great feedback during the beta phase, and with the current development of events I'm feeling comfortable to say it will! :P

Feedback will be critical even right after the Kickstarter, we're engaging with so many artists trying to decide on the approach and aesthetic of the map.  Given the amount we have raised to overhaul it we can literally choose any style from popular strategy games.
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 15, 2014, 05:36:20 pm »

Personally I still really like the current design.  It kind of has a hand-drawn aesthetic while still being terrain-ish (? Topographic? Displaying features as features rather than representations you'd see on a map, I dunno) enough that the rest of the art style doesn't look out of place.

Like if it were done parchment-style with black ink everything then everything else would look weird, but we've already seen the fully topographic maps you guys did earlier and those were also jarring. 

Current style reminds me of Dominions a lot.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:12:12 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 15, 2014, 05:41:08 pm »

Personally I still really like the current design.  It kind of has a hand-drawn aesthetic while still being terrain-ish (? Topographic? Displaying features as features rather than representations you'd see on a map, I dunno) enough that the rest of the art style doesn't look out of place.

Like if it were done parchment-style with black ink everything then everything else would look weird.  It reminds me of Dominions a lot.

Plus it looks like one of the easiest styles to replicate during modding. With the whole part of the game devoted to being able to mod everything, that's kind of important. Hell, you could use a coloured in-version of that old-looking map of Middle-Earth and it would still fit (though good luck reading all the names of the places).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 15, 2014, 06:18:22 pm »

At the risk of encouraging too much crowd sourcing of opinions....it'd be swell if we could see your top picks on the visual style and vote on the one we think rocks the most.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 210