Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358651 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #810 on: October 15, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »

At the risk of encouraging too much crowd sourcing of opinions....it'd be swell if we could see your top picks on the visual style and vote on the one we think rocks the most.

+1 this, i think it would make the choosing allot easier 

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #811 on: October 15, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »

Personally I still really like the current design.  It kind of has a hand-drawn aesthetic while still being terrain-ish (? Topographic? Displaying features as features rather than representations you'd see on a map, I dunno) enough that the rest of the art style doesn't look out of place.

Like if it were done parchment-style with black ink everything then everything else would look weird.  It reminds me of Dominions a lot.

Plus it looks like one of the easiest styles to replicate during modding. With the whole part of the game devoted to being able to mod everything, that's kind of important. Hell, you could use a coloured in-version of that old-looking map of Middle-Earth and it would still fit (though good luck reading all the names of the places).

We will continue to support the current style - drag and drop mod functionality is very important to us.  The new style will be very easy to work with as well, think along the lines of the Civ V map building.   If we reach an impasse where one style must supersede the other for functionally we will discuss that with everyone before coming to any decision.

At the risk of encouraging too much crowd sourcing of opinions....it'd be swell if we could see your top picks on the visual style and vote on the one we think rocks the most.

We're releasing a build to Beta Backers and above very shortly after KS is released that is meant to test assets, we'll be working with them to figure out the best possible solution from the map down to the individual units.  All other backers will be able to see the progress on the internal board where we can have an open debate on the different screenshots posted from various samples. 
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 15, 2014, 07:35:18 pm »

Personally I still really like the current design.  It kind of has a hand-drawn aesthetic while still being terrain-ish (? Topographic? Displaying features as features rather than representations you'd see on a map, I dunno) enough that the rest of the art style doesn't look out of place.

Like if it were done parchment-style with black ink everything then everything else would look weird.  It reminds me of Dominions a lot.

Plus it looks like one of the easiest styles to replicate during modding. With the whole part of the game devoted to being able to mod everything, that's kind of important. Hell, you could use a coloured in-version of that old-looking map of Middle-Earth and it would still fit (though good luck reading all the names of the places).

We will continue to support the current style - drag and drop mod functionality is very important to us.  The new style will be very easy to work with as well, think along the lines of the Civ V map building.   If we reach an impasse where one style must supersede the other for functionally we will discuss that with everyone before coming to any decision.

We're releasing a build to Beta Backers and above very shortly after KS is released that is meant to test assets, we'll be working with them to figure out the best possible solution from the map down to the individual units.  All other backers will be able to see the progress on the internal board where we can have an open debate on the different screenshots posted from various samples.

We're releasing a build to Beta Backers and above very shortly

We're releasing a build to Beta Backers

What all will this build include?  Obviously I'm not gonna be That Guy and use my beta access as a playground but I'm still pretty excite.
Shoes...

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 15, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »

What all will this build include?  Obviously I'm not gonna be That Guy and use my beta access as a playground but I'm still pretty excite.

I thought the point of the beta early access was to use it as a playground and provide feedback and whatnot, or am I completely missing something in what you're saying?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the beta we're going to get considering what's been said on it; are we going to be able to see and use the modding tools only, or do we play the game itself as well? if the former, how are we supposed to know what's balanced or not, or is there some other purpose to this beta?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:53:41 pm by Jalak »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

I meant using beta access like a demo and not actually participating in the beta testing process.
Shoes...

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's what beta testing is now.

anyway, convenient time to ptw.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:53 pm »

I thought the point of the beta early access was to use it as a playground and provide feedback and whatnot, or am I completely missing something in what you're saying?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the beta we're going to get considering what's been said on it; are we going to be able to see and use the modding tools only, or do we play the game itself as well? if the former, how are we supposed to know what's balanced or not, or is there some other purpose to this beta?

What we will be releasing immediately after Kickstarter ends is NOT the beta, it is a build (which we call The Scenario Viewer) we use for testing assets and effects, ex[ectations for the Beta access are 2 months from the end of Kickstarter.  We are releasing this particular tool right away because we want testers to be able to be involved very closely in selecting which approach we take with the new assets.
That Which Sleeps

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 16, 2014, 01:43:58 am »

This kickstarter is going amazingly well. I go to sleep and not only do we reach 57K (1.5K in nine hours or so), someone pledged at the 1K tier, giving us all an extra agent!

This update was very interesting. I'm rooting for the mind flayers, especially if we can recruit them as minions.

Also happy to hear the agent count does not diminish with the 1K pledge upping to 3K.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 16, 2014, 02:51:40 am »

I'm curious, won't you possibly get in trouble for using the term Mindflayer?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 16, 2014, 03:04:16 am »

"Illithid" is IP of Wizards, mindflayer is a generic term afaik. I've been kind of expecting them to sue Dominions for using "illithid" straight with their R'lyeh.

Only the Warhammer dudes are evil enough to try and trademark every combination of words having to do with their games. (Like they trademarked space marine. You can make a game about marines in space, but not space marines.)

Random scenario idea (for modders, I guess): Opposite day. Put player in as an imprisoned force of goodie goodness in a world overtaken by darkness, trying to make it a nice place again from the shadows. As a super-exotic version, make it a rebellion in Hell where an imprisoned angel is secretly turning the damned nice. :p

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #820 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:44 am »

I'm curious, won't you possibly get in trouble for using the term Mindflayer?

We were under the impression that Mind Flayer was generic, but we have been linked to Wizards official statement which is that they own the copyright - given that Mind Flayers were first inspired by a Lovecraft story we are just going to go back to that original inspiration.  The idea was to introduce a more "Lovecraftian" race with the Mind Flayers so it works just as well.
That Which Sleeps

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

Holy crap the kickstarter's almost at $58000.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2014, 10:51:51 am »

"Illithid" is IP of Wizards, mindflayer is a generic term afaik. I've been kind of expecting them to sue Dominions for using "illithid" straight with their R'lyeh.

Only the Warhammer dudes are evil enough to try and trademark every combination of words having to do with their games. (Like they trademarked space marine. You can make a game about marines in space, but not space marines.)

Random scenario idea (for modders, I guess): Opposite day. Put player in as an imprisoned force of goodie goodness in a world overtaken by darkness, trying to make it a nice place again from the shadows. As a super-exotic version, make it a rebellion in Hell where an imprisoned angel is secretly turning the damned nice. :p

Well Space Marine is something i can understand (although not support) what i find worse is that they trademarked "WAAAGH"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 16, 2014, 11:07:22 am »

They trademarked WAAAGH!TM?
Goddammit GW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 16, 2014, 11:08:04 am »

They trademarked WAAAGH!TM?
Goddammit GW.

It's GWS. They'd trademark "Emperor" if they stood a snowball's chance in hell of defending the claim.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 210