Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358652 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #885 on: October 19, 2014, 04:10:58 am »

Aaaaaaaaaaaah
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod I want them all. Even though it's kinda unlikely for those stretch goals to be reached, that Ascended mechanic sounds so damn interesting!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 19, 2014, 04:41:07 am »

In the event of the last kickstarter goal being reached, I am casting my vote for the Jungle god, Moloch, while my brother wants to see the Laughing God, Tzadar, in action.

Also, just gone over the additional stretch goals and have a question about the Ascended one; will these new old ones that emerge through game-play have their own ability trees that set them apart from the "vanilla" old ones? How would such a system work if they do?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:51:56 am by Jalak »

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 19, 2014, 04:49:20 am »

I cast a vote for Anaxas.
He seems the most original in terms of awakening, only when his hoard is threatened. It makes for interesting growth and bursts in power something the other old ones don't bring. (They all seem to use the growth other time paradigm). I also find the ability to be able to break the bond between a magic user and the source of his magic very interesting.
There was no mention of it in the article so: does he have an awakening timer too or does he only fully awaken when his riches are theatened?

It was a very hard choice though, because all three sound awesome so i will be pleased with the result of the vote whatever it is.

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 19, 2014, 05:08:47 am »

Don't care much about the old Gods. To tell you the truth the only Gods (from the ones I read about and I think I read everyting about them + the videos) that interested me are the human/mortal turned god (because I like the role play value, he's definitely my pick, I want him to have his own religion/cult) and the Orc God (brute force, I'd love to see him guide the united Minotaurs, Orc and goblin tribes ). Yeah, I'm simple guy.

The sea stretch goal however is a different story. That I like a lot, it makes better use of the map. In my opinion the map should be used at full potential (all terrain types, sea, underground etc) should have activity on them and not be dead or of little activity/value. I hope someone mods a Poseidon god for the sea as well as tons of events since it's a shame to have so much space empty (content wise).

The expanded human culture is just as good but I don't think we'll get there. Can't really complain, I got all the stretch goals I wanted and then all those I dreamed about.

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:09 am »

How do we vote?  I thought it was for after kickstarter finished

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 19, 2014, 05:59:39 am »

This is just to spark discussion, voting will be done on the backer forum after the kickstarter ends AFAIK.

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 19, 2014, 06:43:48 am »

Yeah, the half-Dragon race is a good example of this. After KDG explained it a bit more, some people changed their minds and now would vote for it if given the chance.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 19, 2014, 08:31:25 am »

Will I be able to vote if I do PayPal donation during the voting period, or do I have to contribute beford the  end of Kickstarter?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 19, 2014, 10:22:23 am »

I like Moloch and Anaxas but I'd have to think about it more to make a decision.
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #894 on: October 19, 2014, 10:46:23 am »

In the event of the last kickstarter goal being reached, I am casting my vote for the Jungle god, Moloch, while my brother wants to see the Laughing God, Tzadar, in action.

Also, just gone over the additional stretch goals and have a question about the Ascended one; will these new old ones that emerge through game-play have their own ability trees that set them apart from the "vanilla" old ones? How would such a system work if they do?

We have a system for Lesser Evils where their traits impact existing abilities, it's still being fleshed out but you would be able to incorporate changes to the passive and active abilities of the Usurped Old Ones, as well as seizing any Aspects they have taken from the Gods.

I cast a vote for Anaxas.
He seems the most original in terms of awakening, only when his hoard is threatened. It makes for interesting growth and bursts in power something the other old ones don't bring. (They all seem to use the growth other time paradigm). I also find the ability to be able to break the bond between a magic user and the source of his magic very interesting.
There was no mention of it in the article so: does he have an awakening timer too or does he only fully awaken when his riches are theatened?

It was a very hard choice though, because all three sound awesome so i will be pleased with the result of the vote whatever it is.

Sorry, he has a very short timer like Karth - Anaxas was our original "other early game God".  The idea was, like Karth, he appear as "just a stronger version of an orc/dragon" and you need to exploit that as much as possible while making solid early gains. 

Will I be able to vote if I do PayPal donation during the voting period, or do I have to contribute beford the  end of Kickstarter?

We will not vote until ALL backers, from KS and from Paypal, are added to the forums!
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:45 am »

Would it be possible for you to explain how these Old Ones were conceived (instead of their mechaincs being integrated to other existing Old Ones) and any reason why these Gods were eliminated from the final list? Having read about further explanation on Dragonkin and Minosaurs, I think understanding their design intent would be much valuable on making a choice.

Also I read on Kickstarter comment you are interested in relating "Mindflayers" and Azlan together - is there a lore reason why they don't have any closer affliation with Enoch? I would have thought they share some sort of close relationship due to their subterranean nature.

That actually reminds me, when the game generates Rival Old One (which I assume is picked randomly since figuring out their identity is another componenet of the game), is it possible for your competitor to be playable Old One you haven't selected, such as Karth?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #896 on: October 19, 2014, 01:05:48 pm »

Would it be possible for you to explain how these Old Ones were conceived (instead of their mechaincs being integrated to other existing Old Ones) and any reason why these Gods were eliminated from the final list? Having read about further explanation on Dragonkin and Minosaurs, I think understanding their design intent would be much valuable on making a choice.

Also I read on Kickstarter comment you are interested in relating "Mindflayers" and Azlan together - is there a lore reason why they don't have any closer affliation with Enoch? I would have thought they share some sort of close relationship due to their subterranean nature.

That actually reminds me, when the game generates Rival Old One (which I assume is picked randomly since figuring out their identity is another componenet of the game), is it possible for your competitor to be playable Old One you haven't selected, such as Karth?

The Old Ones got caught mostly because we had to cut down to 6 to be reasonable.  Moloch was the one I really wanted in, but he lost out to the more typical archetypes and also because his particular ability (to be present in multiple places via his tendrils) required adding in some AI routines that weren't present.  Anaxas and Karth were somewhat the same originally, with Anaxas having his Hoard ability and also Karth's affinity to orcs - we decided we want to go more the "spirit of war" route with Karth and created a separate set of mechanics with Anaxas representing a more extraplanar entity, taking his interactions with the ether from a Sage-like Old One who got cut.  So that is why both Anaxas and Karth play out with an early-game strategy.  Tzadar is all about blood orgies and madness in the streets - not the kind of Madness of that drives someone insane but the depths of excess that represent primal human passions.  He was a very thematic Old One, with a ton of events associated with his powers - but also has his bubbles of evil that cause extreme chaos throughout the world.  He was tied very strongly to his cult, so when we cut religions we cut him as well.

It was just a thought based on a comment about tying them together, I don't think we'd take that route but I can see why it may offer a benefit.  The "lore" reason is that Mind Flayers are "eldritch invaders" from another realm, they aren't native to this world whereas Enoch is a part of the natural order.  The interaction between the native creatures and the Eldritch plays out throughout the game.

Currently it is not, we aren't sure if it would make sense to have them because they have certain dependencies as Old Ones - we may want to recreate them as Rival Old Ones or create a mechanism to translate an Old One to a rival (which would benefit modders).
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 19, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

I'm kind of confused as to what Ascension means.  So like, if Gorblap the Whatever Lesser Evil latches onto me as Belial and drains my power over the course of a game and for whatever reason I don't swat him, when I go to start my next game Gorblap will be occupying a seventh Old One slot with a mix of his and Belial's powers and whatever else he managed to gobble up during that game?  Or do you mean I'll be able to swap to said Gorblap Old One if I continue the game via endless mode?

That could be really sweet or it could turn out lame depending on what kind of powers he absorbs.  harder to get that perfectly thematic handcrafted design you've got for the other Old Ones.

And there's only one slot?  So if a different Lesser Evil ascends Gorblap the Old One disappears?  What made you decide to limit it like that? It makes sense as a component of Endless mode but I dunno why what happens in one discrete game would affect the next one (aside from the bit of metagame we're allowing when we bring an ascended lesser evil into the Old One selections for the next game).
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #898 on: October 19, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »

I'm kind of confused as to what Ascension means.  So like, if Gorblap the Whatever Lesser Evil latches onto me as Belial and drains my power over the course of a game and for whatever reason I don't swat him, when I go to start my next game Gorblap will be occupying a seventh Old One slot with a mix of his and Belial's powers and whatever else he managed to gobble up during that game?  Or do you mean I'll be able to swap to said Gorblap Old One if I continue the game via endless mode?

That could be really sweet or it could turn out lame depending on what kind of powers he absorbs.  harder to get that perfectly thematic handcrafted design you've got for the other Old Ones.

And there's only one slot?  So if a different Lesser Evil ascends Gorblap the Old One disappears?  What made you decide to limit it like that? It makes sense as a component of Endless mode but I dunno why what happens in one discrete game would affect the next one (aside from the bit of metagame we're allowing when we bring an ascended lesser evil into the Old One selections for the next game).

How did you know about Gorblap? 

Yes so the idea is when a Lesser Evil or another entity of similar power manages to Ascend he claims that spot (either by absorbing your or another Old One) - from then on he is available to be played as an Old One AND he will ALWAYS appear when you have Rival Old Ones selected.  In other words, he is a constant adversary - and his AI priorities are always "absorb more power." 

It definitely won't have the same thematic bent to it that the regular Old Ones have, instead his theme will come from the experience you have had with him - having seem this Evil either claim your power or claw its way up through the ranks of another Rival Old One you can have some appreciation for the types of power he developed from it.  We are thinking of a system that applies additional effects based on the Ability tree of the seized Old One, which can stack to create a truly devastating Ascended.

The idea behind one slot is to keep as a constant element and ever evolving threat, who is the current Ascended?  The current Ascended will only be replaced if he is ousted. 

Like most elements, it is purely optional - but we feel it will perfectly supplement some of the play styles and creates an interesting, customizable Old One - not to mention the additional elements added to the editor to allow this possibility.
That Which Sleeps

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 19, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »

So it's sort of an ever evolving meta-AI that carries over between games? That sounds like it could be pretty fun. Any plans to be able to set the total number of slots instead of just one though? I could totally see having several other AI "players" that constantly oppose me through the different games I'm playing (preferably with the option to wipe one from the "table" between games if I want to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 210