Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358809 times)

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #900 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:21 pm »

So is it possible for multiple old one's to get absorbed and replaced during the game until your new game old one selection is completely replaced by these guys?
Also, if something like that were to happen, there is an option where I can just "reset" the old one's back into power, right?
Can you have actual gods, or even the chosen one or powerful agents fight for this celestial throne as well?
Do they specifically have to target you to get to the ascended, or are there other ways?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #901 on: October 19, 2014, 04:41:12 pm »

So it's sort of an ever evolving meta-AI that carries over between games? That sounds like it could be pretty fun. Any plans to be able to set the total number of slots instead of just one though? I could totally see having several other AI "players" that constantly oppose me through the different games I'm playing (preferably with the option to wipe one from the "table" between games if I want to.

Essentially, though the meta element of the AI won't be as pronounced (mostly just a few flags for starting AI conditions).  I believe one slot will be it, when developing the more assumptions you can make the easier to have a smooth implementation, and limiting the number of this object to one is a hugely beneficial assumptions for us to make.   When we reach the point of implementation (if this stretch goal is reached) we'll probably have the conversation with the beta backers if the additional time and testing is worth it for multiple.

So is it possible for multiple old one's to get absorbed and replaced during the game until your new game old one selection is completely replaced by these guys?
Also, if something like that were to happen, there is an option where I can just "reset" the old one's back into power, right?
Can you have actual gods, or even the chosen one or powerful agents fight for this celestial throne as well?
Do they specifically have to target you to get to the ascended, or are there other ways?

The Old One's don't disappear, there is a slot the opens up specifically for The Ascended.   We wouldn't have Gods able to go down this path, or basic Agents, but a Corrupt Chosen One may just follow this same path. 

They need to target any Old One, so either yourself or a rival Old One.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:00 pm »

is there going to be an option to play as a sort of blank-slate old one that gets more powerful through the meta-game and ascended mechanics? I would love to have something like that in, where you gain your actual abilities and refine them through several scenario playthroughs. I'd imagine it would result in a lot of defeats at first but that just makes the victory all the more sweeter and make the old one more personable to you.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #903 on: October 19, 2014, 11:59:16 pm »

is there going to be an option to play as a sort of blank-slate old one that gets more powerful through the meta-game and ascended mechanics? I would love to have something like that in, where you gain your actual abilities and refine them through several scenario playthroughs. I'd imagine it would result in a lot of defeats at first but that just makes the victory all the more sweeter and make the old one more personable to you.

If the Ascended gets through you will be able to play as this increasingly powerful Old One that absorbs the powers and aspects of those it displaces, unless of course you are displaced. However, there is no plan for a blank slate type.
That Which Sleeps

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 20, 2014, 02:13:31 am »

Say, is there a way to set it so that the Chosen One is always a certain class and gender? I just realized that a Samurai Jack mod of this is possible, but there wouldn't be much point to playing Aku if you couldn't curse the damned Samurai again and again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:27 am »

Say, is there a way to set it so that the Chosen One is always a certain class and gender? I just realized that a Samurai Jack mod of this is possible, but there wouldn't be much point to playing Aku if you couldn't curse the damned Samurai again and again.

A ritual that can seal away the chosen one? Awesome!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 20, 2014, 02:50:24 am »

Well, sort of, though that also sounds like a cool feature you could do - get the Chosen One out of your plans for a while in exchange for the prophecy elements being kinda accelerated once he arrives in your future.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 20, 2014, 04:39:50 am »

Well, sort of, though that also sounds like a cool feature you could do - get the Chosen One out of your plans for a while in exchange for the prophecy elements being kinda accelerated once he arrives in your future.

ooooh i really like this idea

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 20, 2014, 05:07:11 am »

Holy crap. 70K reached! Awesome job! Can't wait to read about the new stretch goal :D

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #909 on: October 20, 2014, 08:20:31 am »

You could set it in a Game Mode when starting a game, but there's no way to do it during the game (since it's configurable in game mode you could also make a ritual that does it).
That Which Sleeps

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 20, 2014, 08:33:21 am »

I like the idea of a ritual that changes the gender or race of a hero, then laugh as they freak out. Hell, depending on their personalities, they could start panicking and waste time trying to find a spell that can reverse the ritual, ultimately wasting time that they could be spending elsewhere.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:33 am »

I love the idea of an Old One similar to Warhammer's Tzeentch. From the Warhammer 40k Lexicanum:
Tzeentch is a God of Chaos who represents the vitality and volatility of change. Tzeentch is closely associated with sorcery and magic, as well as dynamic mutation, and grand, convoluted scheming. The domains of history, destiny, intrigue and plots are his chief interests, and in pursuit of these aspects he listens to the dreams and hopes of all and watches their plans take form. He is not content to merely observe, however, and chooses to interfere in the skeins of fate in order to fulfill his own, unknowably complex schemes. Tzeentch is known by an endless multitude of names, but the chief titles he bears are the Changer of the Ways, the Master of Fortune, the Great Conspirator and the Architect of Fate.

It seems to fit the game perfectly, although the old one who can influence events might already fulfil a similar role

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #912 on: October 20, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »

I love the idea of an Old One similar to Warhammer's Tzeentch. From the Warhammer 40k Lexicanum:
Tzeentch is a God of Chaos who represents the vitality and volatility of change. Tzeentch is closely associated with sorcery and magic, as well as dynamic mutation, and grand, convoluted scheming. The domains of history, destiny, intrigue and plots are his chief interests, and in pursuit of these aspects he listens to the dreams and hopes of all and watches their plans take form. He is not content to merely observe, however, and chooses to interfere in the skeins of fate in order to fulfill his own, unknowably complex schemes. Tzeentch is known by an endless multitude of names, but the chief titles he bears are the Changer of the Ways, the Master of Fortune, the Great Conspirator and the Architect of Fate.

It seems to fit the game perfectly, although the old one who can influence events might already fulfil a similar role

Of all the intellectual property we tiptoe around we stay far, far away from Games Workshop and their legion of Chaos Lawyers.  Tragically we discovered that "the laughing god" is also mentioned in Warhammer Lore, but since it is also referenced in classical myth we are being assured it is safe to use. 

48 hours and counting, the Kickstarter is coming to a close.
That Which Sleeps

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 20, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

Well, just as long as the mechanics don't mirror it...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:13 pm »

You literally can't copyright mechanics.  Even if you could, you wouldn't be using the same ones (Unless the laughing guy has like, BS/WS/AS etc).  Even if they were, though, they're totally different except for the moniker "The Laughing God", which is only one of the That Which Sleeps guy's titles (I assume, based on the others).  Cegorrach is more of a traditional trickster than a bringer of ruination-through-hedonism.  Also, good call on who to avoid, they're jackasses that'd make Disney proud.

Incidentally, I'm probably voting for the Dragonkin.  I love the idea of partially-justified bioweapons turning on their masters (And then, of course, diverting them back to their correct position.  Or maybe just having them murdered.)  The rest, don't know yet, will worry about when the voting starts and we have more information.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:40:08 pm by Rutee »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 210