Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358806 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1245 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:50 pm »

That's the best part about this game...you can't just be like "This game is like X game"...which is a rarity these days.

I suppose it is similar in some aspects to CK II (the intrigue stuff) but it is so much more intricate than that....hard to say

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 18, 2015, 03:09:06 pm »

Yeah, the closest comparison I've managed to make is to Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings. It's hard to really say without playing the game first, though.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 18, 2015, 03:23:41 pm »

RPG-ish turn based strategy with light (very light?) combat. So light I hesitate to use the word tactical there.

I just hope this game oozes atmosphere.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 18, 2015, 08:42:54 pm »

That's the best part about this game...you can't just be like "This game is like X game"...which is a rarity these days.

Agreed.  I like this game because of it's originality.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 19, 2015, 01:44:22 am »

RPG-ish turn based strategy with light (very light?) combat. So light I hesitate to use the word tactical there.

I just hope this game oozes atmosphere.

The randomly generated artifacts, ruins, and spells will have their own generated flavor text which will reference back to events and figures from history, either characters who come up in procedural generation (probably one of the later things to be developed but still a thing) or characters from the character name backer goal.

Speaking of which, it was more than just a name.  You pick your dude's name, race, personality, position in the world, what time they lived, etc. etc. and it uses all that.  So if you make a guy from the present age he might show up as an actual character, while if you make one from an older age you might find the ruins of his keep, or an artifact he wielded, or a spell he discovered, etc.

So yeah, there's a lot of very sexy atmosphere.  I'd say what name I picked but instead I won't.
Shoes...

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 19, 2015, 09:57:32 am »

Wait, did I miss something? Randomly generated spells?

Oh and dear devs....could you give us a bone and post some infos with regard to the military system & army battles, and that how will they work? I haven't seen any informations about this so far, hopefully it isn't "BETA only" material. 8)
Oh and one more thing. Hopefully we are going to have some nice & detailed information/statistics panel to overview the nations, heroes, agents, armies etc. It's a must have in a game like this [..especially useful on huge maps]..IMO. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:04:30 am by gimli »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 21, 2015, 10:24:50 am »

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 31, 2015, 01:45:09 pm »

It's been a bit quiet here lately so here's the latest news:
- The UI has been a lot of trouble and last week was terrible development-wise. Josh is taking a day off this week and they've planned to spend max two days on it this week, after that it's back to the editor to release the mod tools.
- This has also delayed the other mod videos
- Old One abilities all seem to work fine, even the terraforming ones, so that's good.

Since there's little real news I'll keep you amused with the following Q&A:

Quote from: Josh
Q:Have you got any examples of funny/unexpected/terrible AI behaviours in game?

It's interesting because where do you draw the line between "bug" and "feature" when it comes to an AI that is meant to be derailed. We designed the game so that small changes ripple outward, and simply giving the King a particular mental disorder can throw entire regions into chaos (or it may lead to his ouster and replacement by a Council of Enlightened Sages, unfortunately). My favorite behaviors are related to how far Heroes will go for those they love - I've managed to trick heroes into thinking a Noble had their love assassinated so then they go storming in and killing the nobleman, generally being executed right afterward. Other times they'll go on suicidal crusades against you, plunging into the badlands looking for your seal - or they'll stalk your agents and try to rally the world against them.

On the societal front one of the hardest things to balance are cultural shifts - so if a culture values something you tend to get people in charge who have that trait/personality. Originally their were ways to abruptly shift that, so you could make the people loathe that trait and suddenly entire nations would burst spontaneously into riots to purge their leaders. We made it a BIT MORE GRADUAL after a long spate of that. We also had an Orc Adventurer who Conan the Barbarianed his way into being King of a massive human kingdom in the Depthsscenario - I never "fixed" that because it seemed to work as expected (and will rarely occur).

If you want TERRIBLE well then, the AI took a rocky path to get to where it is. My favorite terrible AI bug was when told to Raid a general would simply turn around and start burning his own farmland - we later took the buggy behavior and used it as a basis for "Scorched Earth" tactics, but for a long time you'd see campaigns completely derail when the generals would just go crazy and start burning down their own country. We had a bug once where Sages with competing knowledge would just go crazy if the other completed it first and try to kill them no matter what - and considering that sages rarely have good combat ability it led to the most pathetic series of "attack" events in the log. We've since changed vengeance/anger paths so that the more cunning agents will pursue Plots to discredit/blackmail/coup their foes instead of going for a duel or ambush.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 31, 2015, 07:05:35 pm »

Wait, did I miss something? Randomly generated spells?

Oh and dear devs....could you give us a bone and post some infos with regard to the military system & army battles, and that how will they work? I haven't seen any informations about this so far, hopefully it isn't "BETA only" material. 8)
Oh and one more thing. Hopefully we are going to have some nice & detailed information/statistics panel to overview the nations, heroes, agents, armies etc. It's a must have in a game like this [..especially useful on huge maps]..IMO. :)

You did miss something.  Spells are generated from bases with various modifiers, sages and hte like can research spells and such and you're able to influence the spellcrafting process to create evil things.

I dunno how randomly generated artifacts and such are but I know they have random names and flavor text which is pulled from whatever database of historical information the scenario uses, whether that's a hard list for premade scenarios or procedurally generated.
Shoes...

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 01, 2015, 07:45:50 am »

Ohhhh...I didn't know about that! Thanks for the info.  8)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 01, 2015, 07:50:26 am »

Hmm, so can we actually taint spells, pushing sages towards researching Dark Magicks, which make the spellcasters insane and/or vulnerable to corruption?

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 02, 2015, 01:17:59 am »

Hmm, so can we actually taint spells, pushing sages towards researching Dark Magicks, which make the spellcasters insane and/or vulnerable to corruption?

I asked Josh and got the following info:

Yep, that's one of the first elements we ever added to the magic system. Any knowledge of the past comes with consequences to the researcher, and if they make use of the powers they learn they'll suffer even further.

This makes me very happy as that will make it much easier for me to corrupt sages in my Warhammer mod.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #1257 on: April 03, 2015, 02:35:28 pm »

As a very special Thank You to the fine people of Bay12 who absolutely gave us the critical boost we needed in the early days of the Kickstarter (as did RPGCodex) we would like to let you describe/design a terrifying or enlightening Fallen Primal that wanders a shattered landscape in the "What Gods We've Made" supplemental scenario. This creature will function similar to a Lesser Evil in that it can be persuaded to help you, work with your enemies, or simply be bartered with to gain access to its unique powers. In addition, the Fallen Primals in this scenario have campaigns associated with them to enact very powerful effects, either one-time or recurring.

One of the current Fallen Primals:

The Fallen Primal of Hope
Image: Corpse-like giant moth shining a weak light over a swamp
Power: Can restore otherwise fatal wounds

Campaign Effect : Heroes Overwhelming Victory - Empowers the Primal to assist the Alliance, greatly increases morale and can lower corruption over time. Agent Overwhelming Victory - Spreads corruption passively and is now now drawn towards high morale areas.

Essentially we'll want a concept, a general idea of how it looks, and some kind of effect. The Primals can also have physical presences and be available as Minions, Elite Units, or Global Threats.

There's not really a way to vote here, but I don't want to take it into our forums to punish any non-backers so we'll just see if people can generally agree on a good idea.

I also have included an Event referencing Bay12, and there's more than a few Dwarf Fortress references (mostly in Ruins).

The Artist we are working with to bring the Fallen Primals to life: http://borjapindado.deviantart.com/
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »

I will certainly be submitting my opinion over the weekend :D I was the first supporter on KS (which I like saying cause....I am a loser and whatever it works for me lol) and have every intention to support you to the end. I can't wait to get that beta

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 03, 2015, 03:18:05 pm »

*insane laughter* YES YES YEEEESSSSSSSS
Ahem. One second...

The Fallen Primal of Terror
Image: An enormous dark elephant with ruby eyes and jagged tusks looming over a river - if you need it to be diminished in some way, the tusks can be shattered and the elephant itself could be scarred heavily with chunks of flesh missing
Power: Can invoke fear effects in entities to such an extent that they might die/become paranoid/become obsessed with defending against the elephant even when it isn't there/some really negative fear effect

Campaign Effect: Alliance Victory: The Primal assists the Alliance, no longer damaging their morale and seeks out large congregations of your own units/areas where they have high morale and lowers them drastically by it's mere presence. Might cause smaller groups of units to disperse into the wilderness outright (ie you lose them) and/or cause larger ones to rout.
Agent Victory: The Primal seeks out cities/armies/large groups of units not your own and afflicts them with various physical and mental maladies against them, as described above

I literally just woke up and came up with this, which with me generally means it's not a bad idea. Let's see.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 210