Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358766 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1380 on: June 09, 2015, 05:30:34 am »

Project Update 6-8-2015.

...aaaand finally, some info about the bloodlines system!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 09, 2015, 06:34:30 am »

I must say I'm a little worried about all these bells and whistles like bloodlines. It reminds me of some P&P RPGs where the focus of the developers wanders from the main things to adding million different little rules on top of the core game. It has the risk of losing the sight of the main meal and getting lost among the details. I hope they'll hone the basic stuff to work fine instead of jumping from one system to another and leaving all half-assed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 09, 2015, 09:11:52 am »

I'm kinda starting to agree. I'm normally the guy that is thrilled by extra features, but TWS wasn't exactly light on features to begin with. Now would seem like the time to feature lock and get into beta. Then again, we don't know the entirety of their development road map. Maybe bloodlines was allotted for some time ago.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 09, 2015, 09:15:31 am »

Feature creep:  The bane of deadlines everywhere.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 09, 2015, 11:09:47 am »

The extra features are things they had planned...they are technically only doing what they promised and didn't estimate the time it would take to add all the kickstarter stuff into the game properly. I have yet to really see any reason to worry just yet

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 09, 2015, 12:19:57 pm »

While I normally might agree with you, nenjin, I'm too excited over the prospect of having the Chosen One come at me with everything he's got only for me to activate the horrendous mutation I put into his bloodline a billion years ago to be activated at the perfect moment.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 09, 2015, 12:40:29 pm »

lol true...at least they are good features

"Sorry guys delayed because adding facebook connectivity is taking longer than usual" *shoots self in face*

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 09, 2015, 01:19:21 pm »

While I normally might agree with you, nenjin, I'm too excited over the prospect of having the Chosen One come at me with everything he's got only for me to activate the horrendous mutation I put into his bloodline a billion years ago to be activated at the perfect moment.
If I'm understanding the mechanics of the game.  It would be more like -
Old One #1, screwing around with bloodlines. 
Old One #1 eventually put back to sleep. 
Centuries/Millennial later, Old One #3 comes forth, finds descendant of one of the bloodlines Old One #1 screwed with. 
Old One #3 takes advantage of it.

At least, what with all the simulation, defeat is not the ultimate defeat and victory is not the ultimate victory.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 09, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »

The extra features are things they had planned...they are technically only doing what they promised and didn't estimate the time it would take to add all the kickstarter stuff into the game properly. I have yet to really see any reason to worry just yet

Yep, and I guess it's clear, that this system will shine in endless mode, which will be added later on.
Here is a reply by Josh[dev]: "In the current scenarios you won't be dealing with more than a generation or two so you're mostly interacting with the Heritage and Ancient bloodlines, but the depth that this will bring to both Procedural/Endless as well as future scenarios with a grander scope seems very rewarding."

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 10, 2015, 03:27:33 am »

A lot of the delays have been because features for the Stretch Goals have had to be added now because it's easier to do it now than to rewrite the code later. The main one being the fact that due to the addition of rivals the entire event and interaction system  has had to be rewritten so the AI can also use it.

The bloodlines have been in for a while, since the feature lock has been in place for more than a month. Current delays are due to a problem in the data structure of the code.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 10, 2015, 10:15:38 am »

I must say I'm a little worried about all these bells and whistles like bloodlines. It reminds me of some P&P RPGs where the focus of the developers wanders from the main things to adding million different little rules on top of the core game. It has the risk of losing the sight of the main meal and getting lost among the details. I hope they'll hone the basic stuff to work fine instead of jumping from one system to another and leaving all half-assed.

They mentioned off-hand last time bloodlines were mentioned that the system was implemented to help properly realize what one of the high-level kickstarter backers wanted.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1391 on: June 10, 2015, 11:28:14 am »

added now because it's easier to do it now than to rewrite the code later
Well yes, that is literally the whole point of the alpha phase of software development. The worry is the sheer amount of feature creep, not that features take time to add which I think we all understand.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 10, 2015, 11:38:59 am »

This has nothing to do with That Which Sleeps.

Whenever I see forsaken1111's avatar, I cannot help but sit and stare until it loops so that I can see the perfect game of snake.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1393 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:55 am »

This has nothing to do with That Which Sleeps.
Whenever I see forsaken1111's avatar, I cannot help but sit and stare until it loops so that I can see the perfect game of snake.
I do it too.

I've tried to change it several times but I never can bring myself to do it.

Great now I'm staring at it again.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:23 am »

I always wonder what the algorithm to yield the best snake game (AKA shortest time to complete coverage) is.  I should write some ascii program that does it at some point, just to see.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 210