Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358749 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1395 on: June 12, 2015, 05:10:10 pm »

The bloodlines system sounds awesome. I can't think of any other game that's doing the same kind of thing with a similar depth. Even CK2 -- a dynasty simulator -- just rolls the dice when it comes to genetics (e.g., if one parent is a "genius" then each kid has a 30% chance to get that trait), and Massive Chalice, the only other game with hereditary traits that even comes to mind, is very similar to CK2.

The more I read about TWS, the more I wish I backed the Kickstarter.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 15, 2015, 02:44:00 am »

You can still back the game through their website. Since we're hopefully finally nearing the beta this might be the best time to buy yourself access.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1397 on: June 15, 2015, 06:56:30 am »

You can still back the game through their website. Since we're hopefully finally nearing the beta this might be the best time to buy yourself access.
I'm waiting for it to be available via steam personally as I have money in steam wallet to use.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 20, 2015, 05:42:02 am »

Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 20, 2015, 11:26:33 am »

added now because it's easier to do it now than to rewrite the code later
Well yes, that is literally the whole point of the alpha phase of software development. The worry is the sheer amount of feature creep, not that features take time to add which I think we all understand.
Honestly I'm not seeing much more than the average amount of feature creep going on here (which tends to happen at least a little in most projects). What I'm seeing happening a lot more is them having laid down a bunch of awesome, high-level ideas (either through the kickstarter or on request of higher-level backers), and then having to go back and backfill all of the smaller, lesser things to make those ideas possible. As a code person I'd say that we probably aren't to the point where we need to be worried yet. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #1400 on: June 20, 2015, 01:29:27 pm »

As a non-backer, can someone basically sum up what has happened in the past month?
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 20, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »

As a non-backer, can someone basically sum up what has happened in the past month?

A lot of work?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 20, 2015, 01:39:34 pm »

Quote from: State of the Project
I've finally fixed the data structures and am just testing now to make sure it's completely fixed. This means that our final (complete) mod tools release is imminent complete with all of the many map features that we've added in the past 3 months. Finally our modders can begin trailblazing some exciting new worlds for our players. More excitedly once that release is squared away we're just an AI update away from the Beta - all of the GUI elements (outside of animation but we're holding off on that till the beta) are complete, the fundamental content pieces have been updated (though we'll need to do a quick update again after this most recent data update). We'll be updating with more concrete information when we feel comfortable doing that.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 20, 2015, 01:42:49 pm »

The rest of the update was a rather large post covering the magic system

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 21, 2015, 09:33:41 am »

Nice and informative update. The ritual system looks very good! Hopefully Josh will release some infos about the military system/army battles & GUI soon enough, since it was promised months ago..IIRC.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 21, 2015, 02:35:52 pm »

Magic system sounds great. Thank freaking god they've thought harder about it than "Fire, Ice, Lightning" blah video game magic theory.

Like most things in TWS though, I still only have a vague idea of how it might actually play out. There are so many consequences and interactions (part of what I love about the game) but it makes you wonder how much of this is known because they wrote it and created it, and how much is accessible to the player without a wiki or dozens of hours of gameplay. My example would be "cursing crops that someone else blessed potentially turning the blame on them." Is that interaction stated anywhere in the ritual summation? Will you be notified if happens, and will it reference the fact your ritual caused their Cropsinger to get burned at the stake? It goes back to something I said at the start of the thread, where the game will have to work hard to make the player aware of the chain of reactions flowing from their decisions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 24, 2015, 02:54:46 am »

I think a big part of that is the infiltration system.  90% of the super-complicated stuff going on is gonna be in the background, we'll hopefully be able to focus specifically on what we want to.  So if we're cursing somebody's crops we've probably already infiltrated the town and we're aware of the cropsinger and we'll see what happens if he ends up blamed.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 24, 2015, 04:07:24 am »

I can't help but imagine it very much like Dominions in look and focus on agents (commanders). Sure every development update makes me all wuzzy, but finally getting to the beta (which I paid for afterall, right?) would be lovly.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:31 am »

Project Update 6-26-2015. It's a quite big update. Now we know some basic infos about the army system as well. It will be quite simple. Perhaps it's a bit too simple, even tho, this isn't a wargame.
Ex.: Basic units have no attributes or anything -> " Basic soldiers are effectively the hit points of an army" [not even racial mods??]
Upkeep system -> "Armies are very simplified in our system - manpower and composition are determined by government and cultural values as opposed to maintenance costs and build orders. Each raised army costs 1 gold and 1 food a turn, as does each Elite Unit. Initial recruitment as well as repair costs iron. Armies are assumed to be foraging and any forays into more barren areas will increase cost of supply for the army. I anticipate some people will question our choice of a simplified resource system for armies but it GREATLY increases our ability to make a realistic AI."

However the design & implementation of the elite units sounds good already!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:40 am »

Being able to track past battles, heroes serving with the unit, customize their etc. sounds lovely, especially given you can create as many elite units as you want in the editor. Warfare might not be the focus, but as long as it's atmospheric and feels, I dunno, alive, with all these little touches, I'll be a happy man.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 210