Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358685 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1530 on: September 30, 2015, 05:35:33 pm »

I'm hyped but this feels a little rushed.  There's missing information that would be needed.

All we've seen at this point is the scenario selection screens.  Give it time - there may well be easy-to-access in-game information (tooltips etc) that fill in some of the gaps.  Although to be honest there was a fair amount of information in those screens already - the video just clicked through some of them very rapidly (and didn't hover over a lot of the buttons which I suspect would have provided more).
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:57 pm »

I mean the video itself.  This is marketing here, not everybody's coming into this knowing everything we know.  There's a lot of places here where the narration stumbles or things aren't well-explained for someone who might not know everything already.  One quick example, he mentions Karth is a primal and then drops that line completely.  From the perspective of a newcomer who needs to be sold on the game, I don't know what that means, I don't know why he mentioned it, I don't know why it matters that Karth says "primal" and everyone else says "Ancient."

Other stuff like modifiers are mentioned in brief but glossed over.  I'm a little worried that in his eagerness to show something off and release the pressure buiding up on the forums he might be sacrificing quality on the video.  A decent script or outline to focus discussion, only two old ones mentioned instead of a bunch (so he can go into detail and compare and contrast their playstyles) and a more detailed overview of exactly what scenario generation is.  I don't think he ever actually explains what scenario gen is in the way he did before, in the first video.
Shoes...

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: September 30, 2015, 08:29:22 pm »

At least I hope his decision to resume the devlogs mean that the game is in presentable state, and even single demonstration of physical gameplay should be enough to relieve the pressure for a while. I myself do not mind the long wait - there are other things I've waited for far longer - but I can see their widely optimistic deadlines having created some complaints. I really hope they learn the lesson should they decide to continue the game development.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:33:58 pm by ventuswings »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 01, 2015, 03:16:30 am »

I feel it's alright (besides the issues I already mentioned over @ the dino forum).

Sure, you don't know what Primal means. Take a wild guess... could it be a primal force? Primal Thing? Both work
Sure, you don't know what Ancient means. Take a wild guess... could it be a Ancient force? Ancient Thing? Either works. It's Ancient.

Is there a specific gameplay speration between Primal and Ancient that would have to be explained but is missed by the gods details/feats?

Anyway, I want Josh to sacrifice quality. Slaughter it on a altar and then from the sacrifice summon forth gameplay. Beta. A bloody beta, mate. My eyes won't boil out of there socket if the interface isn't a 10/10 or the raven effect/overlay is less then optimal.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1534 on: October 01, 2015, 03:45:27 pm »

The video seems to be offering an overall impression of the game, why would they focus on numbers and details? The numbers and details are probably not final or balanced yet in any case.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 01, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »

Is there a specific gameplay speration between Primal and Ancient that would have to be explained but is missed by the gods details/feats?

Since it's KDG, the answer is probably yes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 01, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »

Well didn't they mention this?

Apparently there are Primalbane weapons which can kill a Primal...obviously the same weapons won't work on an ancient.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 02, 2015, 08:28:21 am »

Ancients are the classical eldritch beings that arrived long ago from some other place, invaded the world, and took it over for a time before they were sealed away. All the Old Ones except Karth and Sisyphus are Ancients. Limos is a little different in that he created the world instead of invading it, but he went mad later on and tried to destroy the world he created.

Primals are lesser (but still very powerful) beings that arose out of the conflicts between the Elder Races (Elves, Dwarves, etc.) of the world. Karth is the Primal of War and is the last surviving Primal; all the others were killed either by the Ancients' invasion or in conflict with each other.

Ascended is a special category for humans who acquired enough power to apotheosize and transcend their mortal limits. Sisyphus is the only Ascended so far; much of his backstory revolves around how much of his humanity he sacrificed to get where he is today.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 02, 2015, 08:32:40 am »

Primals are lesser (but still very powerful) beings that arose out of the conflicts between the Elder Races (Elves, Dwarves, etc.) of the world. Karth is the Primal of War and is the last surviving Primal; all the others were killed either by the Ancients' invasion or in conflict with each other.

Although Karth might no longer be the last one with the rival old ones content. The video shows that taking the eye of Gaulmaug gives a relationship penalty towards Gaulmaug, which I think means that it's a rival, and Josh describes it as a Primal.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 02, 2015, 08:52:11 am »

Although Karth might no longer be the last one with the rival old ones content. The video shows that taking the eye of Gaulmaug gives a relationship penalty towards Gaulmaug, which I think means that it's a rival, and Josh describes it as a Primal.

Gaulmaug is a Fallen Primal. There are quite a number of these, dead but not yet gone. Earlier on in this thread, KDG posted the details of one (the Fallen Primal of Hope) and asked the community here to pitch ideas for one. There's going to be a supplemental Scenario ("What Gods We've Made") with a bunch of them as well.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 02, 2015, 11:56:05 am »

Gaulmaug is a Fallen Primal. There are quite a number of these, dead but not yet gone. Earlier on in this thread, KDG posted the details of one (the Fallen Primal of Hope) and asked the community here to pitch ideas for one. There's going to be a supplemental Scenario ("What Gods We've Made") with a bunch of them as well.

Ah, interesting, so it's more of a Lesser Evil than a full Rival, it seems. I wonder if Gaulmaug can try to reclaim its eye, and what measures it might take to do so. That could be especially interesting once the Ascended stretch goal gets added.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1541 on: October 03, 2015, 12:29:17 am »

Update;

https://youtu.be/7j8MoAKqvJM
Oh... okaaaaaaay. I wasn't hyped before. Well, hyped enough I needed just KS video and few quick short snippets about what this game aims to be for me to fund it, but after that I didn't bother much with KS updates. And I was more in a "just chill and wait" camp when it came to delays. But this... This video does make me HYPED. There's just so much stuff. Lore of the lads, kingdoms, starting modifiers you pick that tie into story, hand drawn map. Boy oh boy this makes me excited. And why? The game could in the end turn mediocre. It is an ambitious one, with what it's trying to achieve. And yeah it would be sad if it doesn't achieve that. But if there's one thing that will make me play it regardless is just the amount of love that went into it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 03, 2015, 09:48:18 am »

Update;

https://youtu.be/7j8MoAKqvJM
Oh... okaaaaaaay. I wasn't hyped before. Well, hyped enough I needed just KS video and few quick short snippets about what this game aims to be for me to fund it, but after that I didn't bother much with KS updates. And I was more in a "just chill and wait" camp when it came to delays. But this... This video does make me HYPED. There's just so much stuff. Lore of the lads, kingdoms, starting modifiers you pick that tie into story, hand drawn map. Boy oh boy this makes me excited. And why? The game could in the end turn mediocre. It is an ambitious one, with what it's trying to achieve. And yeah it would be sad if it doesn't achieve that. But if there's one thing that will make me play it regardless is just the amount of love that went into it.

It should be noted that hand-drawn map is only for the campaign introduction. The actual map assets are different to enable terraforming and easier map creation.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 03, 2015, 11:47:59 am »

Yeah.  Map used to be handmade with campaign cartographer (looked like dominions honestly) but they changed it to a hex-based generated map.

Everything's still handcrafted which is what makes the game interesting, though I feel like the video didn't go into just why handcrafting improves it well enough.  Instead of replay value coming from random situations (which ultimately all feel the same because randomization is a bitch to do right) you get replay value from putting different kinds of pressure on the interacting systems.

So maybe the king of cylaria defeats you with his knights in one game, next game you see what happens if you use Azlan's night whispers to change his personality, with that change rippling throughout the game.
Shoes...

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 12, 2015, 06:45:51 pm »

For the curious:

Mod tools sometime this week.
First gameplay video this week.
Second gameplay video next week.
Third video the week after.
Beta shortly after third video.