Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358710 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1590 on: October 28, 2015, 09:53:04 am »

Hey, not bad!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 28, 2015, 09:55:43 am »

Tomorrow is my cakeday, pls release.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 28, 2015, 10:59:56 am »

Someday I'll actually get around to registering on the official forum to look at updates of things.

So uh, final version for non-beta backers such as myself on the horizon, or should I expect a few more months?

The beta isn't out yet, but is expected to arrive shortly.

*facepalm"

Anyway, the first gameplay vid looks good indeed, but hopefully they will add much more map tiles @ beta, since the map looks bland...and I am pretty sure that the game will be in beta for an ungodly long time [6-12 months at least], since the game is complex [= high % of bugs / balancing & tweaking etc.] and the dev speed is slow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 28, 2015, 05:02:17 pm »

I like all the animations on the map, makes it look much more lively.

Two things that came to me when watching the video:

1. Josh is really bad at staying focused in those videos. There's so much to talk about, that he jumps around a ton. The actual turn to turn activity? Makes up like 5% of the video, in that he clicks through a couple turns without really breaking down what's just happened.

2. Their tool tips need tooltips. Seriously, the amount of explaining he has to do to make up for the tooltips seems like a rabbit hole. Ok, so this event is affected by blah, blah and these modifiers on the event? What does that modifier do, then?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:08 pm »

It's definitely very complicated.  Modifiers themselves are also never really explained.  Like the other video, it would be hard for a completely new player to wrap his head around what's going on in this.

I'll probably make a let's play of this when it comes out, and try to flex my tech writing skills a bit to make the gameplay clearer.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:51 pm »

Dominions 4 actually did exactly this with the disciple mode. It is teamwork where one player rules as the god and the other ones in the team play monsters and prophets ruling their own sub-nations working for the big guy.

Indeed and it worked there because it was a versus game and essentially "balanced".

In this game where you are more against the world... the balance is a bit more tricky

I guess if they made "co-op" maps it would be a bit different. Or if having extra helpers gave penalties (for example making it take longer to awaken or less powerful or less minions).

Though the other difficulty is that the co-op buddies can't really be random. They would need to come from a pool specific to each old one.

---

Frankly the videos just become painful teasers for me

The first one was alright, though it skipped a LOT of stuff I wanted to see but that is fine as it is keeping back some information for the player to learn when they have the game.

But the second one... DEAR HOLY GOODNESS! Few turns is right. We never get to see any cause and effect. It is literally all set up with no pay off and it drove me utterly insane. I was like "Oooh what will infiltrating the guild do?" but nope :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:55:00 pm by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 28, 2015, 05:57:08 pm »

The best way they can probably deal with the amount of info the player needs to have is probably to have links to an in-game glossary of sorts on every bit of possibly confusing UI info.

Wondering what a certain action might do beyond what's written? Click trough!

It's a slow paced game and I don't think many people would mind a bit of extra reading if it was done well.

Other than that, excitement levels slowly rising, hopefully they don't reach critical mass before release.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 28, 2015, 06:06:13 pm »

I am just glad their first instinct wasn't to just simplify the game to the point of utter blandness.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 28, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »

The best way they can probably deal with the amount of info the player needs to have is probably to have links to an in-game glossary of sorts on every bit of possibly confusing UI info.
There is a Civopedia-style in-game glossary planned, and also tooltips galore if a player just needs a quick refresher on what some number represents without needing all the gory details.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »

Hehe, most of the development will probably just be putting in things to explain what's going on. :P
Delicious video! Thanks KDG!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: October 28, 2015, 07:05:27 pm »

Hehe, most of the development will probably just be putting in things to explain what's going on. :P
Delicious video! Thanks KDG!

Damn you KDG Damn you soo much you tease.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 29, 2015, 11:41:14 am »

There is a Civopedia-style in-game glossary planned, and also tooltips galore if a player just needs a quick refresher on what some number represents without needing all the gory details.

Well, it's a must have feature in a complex game like this.
Anyway, I just noticed that the forum main page is still not updated, lol..."That Which Sleeps Coming Summer 2015"  ::) Change that 5 to 6 already!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 30, 2015, 09:35:45 pm »

I am so glad there is a real game here. I was getting worried by all the talk on this forum.

The video looks fun, but it really leaves you hanging: I wanted to see some results to the actions they were taking and feel a little concerned at the long turn counters: like it took the Rake 12 (!) turns just to infiltrate the merchants guild and get more options for missions or something?  That is like CIV on marathon mode.

The pace of the game seems like it is really slow right now, though it is possible the speeds increase when your heroes or power level improves (much like in CIV etc)

Some of the way the information was handled seemed directly counter-intuitive: the glaring example being the "aggravate orc horde" option. I would assume it translated to "pick fight with local orcs: transition to combat screen", but apparently it means "easy way make the orc horde angry so they go to war with your enemies". 

Hopefully that kind of thing is dealt with via the tooltip

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:39:12 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 30, 2015, 09:44:25 pm »

I was also a little worried about the number of turns things took, but it's also a function of the agent's skill, the security of the place, and all that.  At the same time the power of a lot of these actions kind of mandates a long buildup to get them.

Like befriending the locals only takes four turns but that'll at best get you some protection in certain areas and a recruitment area for cheap labor and shit.  Getting a voice in the court of a major kingdom is the kind of thing that an entire game's strategy can revolve around. 

I mean you could alter the timeframe of the game in general, but then there's not enough of a distinction between high-power acts and small ones.  Like you could set it so it only takes four or five turns but then the smaller actions run out of space to distinguish themselves.  If infiltrating the court is four turns and annoying the orcs is one or two turns, then something like befriending hte locals ceases to be a meaningful action.
Shoes...

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 31, 2015, 10:41:20 am »

The timing is also there to give both player and AI the time to respond to threats. An infiltration might not garner much attention , but "summon eldritch meteor" is probably something the AI would like to stop.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 210