Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358793 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1665 on: November 24, 2015, 04:06:40 pm »

I sort of expect betas to be messy. Especially in a data-driven game like this. I don't expect it to be playably awesome in beta, few games are.

However based on how things have been going, I may pass on the beta and just wait for release to dig into it. Whenever that will be. As a backer the money is already spent, so, no use throwing in the towel until the final game is actually out there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 24, 2015, 05:02:22 pm »

Messy sure, but given the current track record I have a bad feeling that after all our waiting the release will be unplayable, we'll get an "oops I fucked up X thing, will fix this weekend" reply, and nothing else.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 24, 2015, 06:03:44 pm »

Messy sure, but given the current track record I have a bad feeling that after all our waiting the release will be unplayable, we'll get an "oops I fucked up X thing, will fix this weekend" reply, and nothing else.

To be fair you've labeled Josh a perfectionist before. One would hope that translates into a playable beta that isn't completely broken on release.

Because if he wasn't a perfectionist, for a game like this, that would be the likely result.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:05:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 24, 2015, 09:45:55 pm »

I think that the best option would have been to complete the game as originally imagined and then keep adding on in a CKII-esque model.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:09 pm »

I think that the best option would have been to complete the game as originally imagined and then keep adding on in a CKII-esque model.

Eh, then they would've released one game, and updated its up something that looks nothing like the first release. I think they made the right call, but they really need to meet deadlines and either release something or give solid reasons why they aren't able to.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 25, 2015, 01:03:50 am »

From what was said, some of those extra's were dramatic changes that needed to be done in the beginning lest they couldn't be done at all.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 25, 2015, 01:14:09 am »

The issue is the additions they wanted to make wouldn't have been possible at all without dramatically changing the under-the-hood framework of the game.  Procedural generation required a change to a hex-based map instead of hand-drawn, endless mode required a breakup of the game flow which was originally pretty linear, etc.
Shoes...

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 25, 2015, 11:37:10 am »

Eh, that is the plan, isn't it? Example: They will add "endless mode" after the 1.0 release.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 25, 2015, 11:53:45 am »

That was the plan, then Josh started working on that stuff anyway. I disagree with Cthulhu above, I don't think Josh is a perfectionist, his approach seems to random and unpolished for that, I think he's one of those programmers who works on whatever strikes him at the moment and has to be held to a roadmap.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 25, 2015, 01:28:40 pm »

To be fair, the reason he started work on them anyway was to lay the foundations. He knew that things like Endless Mode, and Procedural Generation, and others, would require massive architectural changes, and he wanted to get those out of the way so all public releases would be consistent, and so adding the features wouldn't be as bad.

That's a fair reason. The problem is that, by his own admission, he completed that architecture overhaul a few months ago.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 25, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »

The problem is he said he wasn't going to do that until after the beta release and then he went and did it anyway. Getting back to square one would be difficult enough without him nailing more features onto it, and now he's mixing critical bugfixing with designing and tweaking features that he shouldn't be touching yet. Their old roadmap was quite sensible and I'm surprised they abandoned it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:06:43 pm by sirvente »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 25, 2015, 04:44:42 pm »

I don't know. I feel these guys are looking at this game as the chance of a lifetime to build the game of their dreams and perhaps even reach a historic status, similar to games like Super Meatboy. They want to give everything they have, even moving away from the original roadmap if they feel this is for the better of the game.
Is it good business practice? Hell no. Could we end up with something epic after a long period of delays? Hell yes.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 25, 2015, 06:40:18 pm »

Hell no. Josh's development style is so undisciplined that he performed a software migration on the master branch a few days before release and rendered the mod tools unfit for release. Abandoning the roadmap has opened up no possibilities that weren't there before and makes the negative ones more likely to happen.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 25, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »

All of this is true, however I say that we give it a little more time. I do believe that they pop by to read this thread every once in a blue moon. Let's not discourage them further, hm?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 26, 2015, 05:17:39 am »

Josh hasn't logged onto his own site in ten days.  I wouldn't be worried.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 210