Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358638 times)

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2400 on: October 11, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »

Let us not forget that this game also had showcased a 'playable demo' at one point before everything was refactored to infinity

if you believe him. more likely it was just a lie.
The video showed him iterating through turns and performing actions. If it was a scripted falsehood it was fairly convincing. It looked to me like an early prototype of the game prior to them trying to implement the stretch goals.

I really believe poor project management have been the most contributing factor leading to game's demise/hiatus.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 12, 2016, 04:08:48 pm »

Let us not forget that this game also had showcased a 'playable demo' at one point before everything was refactored to infinity

if you believe him. more likely it was just a lie.
The video showed him iterating through turns and performing actions. If it was a scripted falsehood it was fairly convincing. It looked to me like an early prototype of the game prior to them trying to implement the stretch goals.

I really believe poor project management have been the most contributing factor leading to game's demise/hiatus.
I know this is really dishonest, why don't people just list features they are already going to include in the games as stretch goals and release them in a fit of 'generosity' anyway? Sounds sodding obvious.
Seriously, the 101 basics of project management are to find out what is achievable and where the limits are and stop there. If a project succeeds, you can always try and get more funding for continuations or additions.
Paradox do this extremely well and profit from it quite comfortably.
Edit:Spelling/Grammar.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:12:22 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2402 on: October 12, 2016, 04:32:29 pm »

Because most people who run a kickstarter for a small company aren't project managers. I know how this stuff works because I am one, and have run many projects in the past. I know how easy it is to fuck up your scoping or milestones and how easy it is to slip right on dates due to unforeseen difficulty.

There are some examples of successful kickstarters who managed their projects well and kept the development within the scope they could handle. Not a lot, but there are some.

I still firmly believe, as Ventus says, this project spiraled out of control. I think he started off with a simple prototype that had most of the initial features working decently but the stretch goals required some major refactoring.

They started out with hand-drawn maps and predesigned levels and tried to end up with infinite procedural possibilities. That is more than a refactor, it should have been a sequel if anything, with a larger team than 'one guy' working on it. One man working in isolation is susceptible to all sorts of roadblocks that can stymie work and bring progress to a crashing halt indefinitely. He'll have no emotional support, no oversight, no help with difficulties, etc. It takes a toll on you, and you can get to a point where you are just exhausted and no longer WANT to work on your project. And once you get there, its hard to do anything productive. This is one reason people work in teams.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 12, 2016, 06:04:02 pm »

Yeah. People really need to realize that programmers like Toady One and Concerned Ape are really, really rare. Very few people can a huge project on their own for any length of time and hope to actually have the focus and willpower to pull it off.

But, of course, if there is anything most programmers have it's an ego over their own abilities. (I include myself in that)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 12, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »

I'm not even a programmer and I have a massive ego about it! :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 12, 2016, 07:02:41 pm »

Ego isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Whatever gets you to program every single day... If it is from a stone belief that your the greatest programmer in the universe then good!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 12, 2016, 10:36:59 pm »

Problem is, way too many people give up when reality stops agreeing with their ego.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2407 on: December 06, 2016, 12:37:25 pm »

Has there been anything new?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:23 pm »

Nope. Some commentary on the Kickstarter page, but nothing other than that. Shame, had a lot going for it, but stretch goals killed it, it seems.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2409 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:26 pm »

I was hoping there had been some backer-only communications or something. Shame.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 06, 2016, 01:22:49 pm »

That which sleeps continues its slumber, its tireless zealots have once again failed to bring about its awakening, for now.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: December 06, 2016, 01:24:09 pm »

I was hoping there had been some backer-only communications or something. Shame.
Couldn't be sure, I didn't back it due to lack of moneys.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: December 06, 2016, 01:28:52 pm »

Nope, no backer only communication that I've seen. Or, at least no e-mails from kickstarter on it.
Come play Mafia with us!

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 06, 2016, 01:35:56 pm »

It's disappointing because I really liked its premise, and its approach to AI
(I always like independent goal-oriented AI that doesn't carter to players at all, so that legitimate AI-AI interactions can develop without any player intervention; this is why Civilization and Rain World is game I have high anticipation for)

so much that I'd put it in "Games you wish existed" category.

I guess I'll put this on back of my mind and hope the game is slumbering with stealth development like Routine.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:37:28 pm by ventuswings »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 06, 2016, 09:32:25 pm »

It's not stealth development, it's not development.

And it didn't have an approach to AI, which is why it failed.  A pie in the sky idea you can't implement isn't an approach.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 210