Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automated Cavern Trap  (Read 5303 times)

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automated Cavern Trap
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:29 am »

Here is a design I came up with to automatically catch just about anything in the caverns

A goal I have in any fort is to catch as many cavern creatures as I can and train/breed them (cave crocs at the top of the list).  But building and watching over cage traps for three different levels of caverns, plus make them all resistant to FBs was troubling.  So I took a series of tunnels I had come up with to manually catch Titans and Forgotten Beasts, and automated it.

#1 This first image is the top level of the trap
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Levers to control the filling of the water reservoir, as well close off the individual cells on the left.  When closed, each cell has plenty of water for use in the trap.

#2 Second image shows the main level of the trap.
Cage traps line the front, then a ladder-like pattern of tunnels.  A floodgate is located in each path across, directly underneath the hole in the ceiling to the water reservoir.  A pair of doors lie next to the floodgate, to give the building destroyer something to munch on while the trap activates.

The levers on the right correspond to the same path at its level, and are linked to the two drawbridges to release their occupant (or close the path) at your discretion. 

Also note the GCS and pig in the lower right.  Once a web FB or a GCS is caught and a web trap setup, the other FB caught by the automated trap (not web FB) may be released and secured in simple wooden cages for display in your dining room.

#3 Bottom level of the trap
This level is nothing but closed off pressure plates set to 1-7 water, reusable, and linked to the two drawbridges for that path on the main level.

How it works:
FB spawns, paths to the entrance to the trap on each cavern level.  Bypasses the cage traps, runs to the nearest unused cell, and begins to destroy the floodgate.
Once the floodgate is gone, it moves on to the doors; meanwhile, the cell of water above the floodgate is released, rushes down, and will pool in the lower cell with the pressure plate, triggering the trap.  By the time the first door is gone, both drawbridges are raised and the FB is trapped.

Some tips:
-If you have Gremlins in your caverns, keep those levers walled up until you need them!  Also possibly station a military squad to train next to them.
-Floor over some of the trap area; it will get wet, and the occupant may be walled up for quite some time.  Tree growth may inadvertently lock them away for good without woodcutter intervention.
-Use an aquifer or a reservoir to fill the trap.  Cavern water is decent, until it gets low enough to allow the growth of trees held stagnant.  As you can see in the top picture, One such tree popped up when I first filled the trap, and almost blocked the intake.
-Be careful once you set up the web cage trap; merchants loved to exit that way in my fort, and would walk right into it. 
-Never release a web FB unless you know what you are going to do with it!  They cannot be caged by a web cage trap, and are thus best kept contained or positioned (using doors and drawbridges) into a silk farm or a web turret for sieges.
-Use of the ladder design, without any automation, is a great early-fort defense against Titans and Forgotten Beasts.  Each 'cell' requires 2 blocks for the bridges, 5 mechanisms to link the drawbridges to a single lever, and 2+ doors (more = more time to pull the lever!), while the trap itself should be closeable as well, so another block for a drawbridges, and 3 mechanisms to close it up.

Here's a link to the imgur gallery:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:27:10 am by RocheLimit »

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automated Cavern Trap
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »

So I have no idea why this thread has no replies, because this is excellent work.

A few questions:

* Do you get the water out of the pressure-plate area by just removing the construction wall?
* Would pressurized water flow allow you to push a FB down onto the next level and therefore directly onto a webbed cage trap?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:28 am »

So I have no idea why this thread has no replies, because this is excellent work.

A few questions:

* Do you get the water out of the pressure-plate area by just removing the construction wall?
* Would pressurized water flow allow you to push a FB down onto the next level and therefore directly onto a webbed cage trap?

Probably possible to have a build in water cannon: pressurized water behind a door.  FB breaks door and gets hit with water. 

However, web on trap -- how do you make that portable?
And does having a web automatically make an FB get webbed in the tile?
I thought the webbing part happens at the time the web is spewed, causing a temporary stun, that can allow cage trap to catch. 

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:22:25 am »

Answer 1: Exactly.  To reset the trap after you have removed the contained FB, you would remove the construction to drain the pressure-plate tile, replace the doors and floodgate, then refill the water chamber above the cell. 

Answer 2: I don't see why not, but I also don't see why you would want to.  Once you use the cell's manual release, so long as the way back to the caverns is shut he will path straight to your fort... right into a prepared webbed cage trap.  While positioning a FB or a GS for a single webbed cage trap is straightforward, doing so for a webbed cage under each hall would be problematic and a micromanagement nightmare.

However, web on trap -- how do you make that portable?
And does having a web automatically make an FB get webbed in the tile?
I thought the webbing part happens at the time the web is spewed, causing a temporary stun, that can allow cage trap to catch. 

A web will stop, however briefly, any creature capable of being webbed should they stand on it.  A dwarf carrying a cage to reload a cage trap will have the job interrupted if they wander into a web.  It is that minute interruption that allows a cage trap to activate.  It will not, however, work on any webbing clown, titan, or FB.  Also note that any of the above that is in the shape of a spider can web by default, even if not stated in the description.

While I have had great success with it, I have also recently run into a few problems as well.  It all comes down to the doors in the hall and oddities with building destroyers. 

In one case, I had a FB bypass the floodgate to stand by the door and do... nothing.  Building destroyers need 1 tile (or maybe a diagonal?) between them and what they are destroying.  This FB wanted to destroy the furniture, but would not move to do so.  Trapped?  Yes.  Could not remove for caging, however. 

In another case, I had a FB destroy the floodgate just fine, but had the resulting water pressure push it against the door it was trying to destroy.  Result: again, a stuck FB.

I'm currently pondering putting the doors 1z up from the floodgate.  Or if I could replace the floodgate with one of the doors.  OR combine both, make a vertical U out of it, so they go down, destroy door releasing water which closes the bridges before they can climb back out.  But I am also pondering if this automated trap is even necessary anymore.  With the 'Do Now!' feature of levers, and enough doors in the hall, the manual version should work just fine so long as you pay attention.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:16:35 am »

Well I can confirm this general process works dang well, because I just got my first captured FB. Now I just need a CGS so I can start making web traps.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:56:20 pm »

A lot of people can't parse what is going on when posting in graphical tilesets.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:05:13 am »

I have the same problem with the ASCII set, to be honest.