Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caste system, multi-race, egg laying?  (Read 1005 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Caste system, multi-race, egg laying?
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:20 pm »

So if I used the caste system to put multiple types of races in one civilization, and they were all egg-laying, would I need nest boxes for them to reproduce? And would I be able to cook their eggs? Would I still need the caste [FEMALE] and [MALE]? I think I could take some of this out of the kobold raws.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Caste system, multi-race, egg laying?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:18:23 pm »

Egg layers only lay eggs in nest boxes in Fort Mode. This may be problematic if they are a creature that needs to eat, drink, or sleep, as they cannot leave the nest box or the eggs will not be able to hatch. If they leave the nest for even a split-second, the eggs will no longer be viable.

The eggs can be eaten and cooked.

Males and females are required for a creature to reproduce. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:19:05 pm »

Yes, yes, and yes, though civilized egglayers have been known to be a bit derpy.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:21:47 pm »

Ugh... I guess they could give live birth... They're dragon like humans, basically small, bipedal dragons. I was hoping to have them lay eggs. I guess they'll draw child care from humans then. Ohwell.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »

While I haven't tested in .40 yet in previous versions civ egglayers seem to be exempt from the must always be on the nest rule.

The mothers will however go back to their nest box instead of idling, and all females of the race will claim a nest box, not just the married ones.  Unless something has changed with reproduction only the married ones can lay an egg that will hatch.

Source: at least a year of playing a draconic egglaying fortress race.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:41 pm »

Okay, cool. Thanks for letting me know.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »

While I haven't tested in .40 yet in previous versions civ egglayers seem to be exempt from the must always be on the nest rule.

The mothers will however go back to their nest box instead of idling, and all females of the race will claim a nest box, not just the married ones.  Unless something has changed with reproduction only the married ones can lay an egg that will hatch.

Source: at least a year of playing a draconic egglaying fortress race.

I had similar experiences with modded griffons.  It seems that they can leave the nest boxes at least briefly, as I never had problems with getting the eggs to hatch or griffons starving.  There were definitely duds though, even among married couples.  The biggest annoyance I experienced was probably periodically checking if a particular griffon was married or if she was just wasting time by sitting on an egg.  Also having to keep an eye on the egg room to keep the eggs forbidden, because as mentioned, they'll happily gobble their own eggs.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:57:41 pm »

Ugh... I've screwed up! My dwarves are cave crocodiles, iron deities (a modded creature by me) are in place of humans, and elves are angels!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:37 pm »

Sounds like you have a duplicate raw somewhere.  Check to make sure no 2 creatures or no 2 civs have the same identifier.  Like [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] or [CREATURE:DWARF]

(Or alternately try to play a world and watch the game flip it's shit)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 09:10:25 pm »

New idea: copy my savegames onto a flash drive, delete that version of DF after extracting all the creatures I want to keep, and then reinstall it. If it still messes up, jump off a bridge.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 09:14:24 pm »

I don't quite remember if duplicate raws trigger it but if there is an errorlog.txt in your DF folder it might be able to point you to the problematic entry.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:13 pm »

Consider a hybrid approach :) maybe you can make some female castes lay eggs and some of them do live births it you remove MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE you might be able to balance out with the ratios of egg laying females and males to be reasonable for worldgen or whatever.

You might still be able to make more people that way though  8)