Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fallout Fan Theories.  (Read 12653 times)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
Fallout Fan Theories.
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:18 pm »

Fallout games have a good, deep lore, the only game that can beat it is Elder Scrolls. But a whole lot of gaps are missing, and thats where fans come in, and fill them with there own ideas. This is what this thread is about, peoples personal ideas, filling gaps that the game's lore leaves.

My biggest thing is that never is it mentioned what happened to the rest of the world. In Mothership Zeta, when you get to the part where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you can look down and see most of Asia is covered in nuclear fallout, concealing it. I like to believe Asia is still alive, just crippled and without government like America. But since they didn't have vaults like in America, there'd be a lot more death, and almost everyone that survived would have been ghoulified. Now the choking nuclear fog, radioactive farmlands aren't just not a problem anymore, but actually helpful. I also think they'd keep their sense of culture, setting up shops in tight venues, serving up squid, testicles, stomachs and such, and whatever governments there are outfit elite soldiers with patchwork samurai armour and swords.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Fan Theories.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:25:16 pm »

My personal theory for Japan was they basically managed to avoid being hit by nuclear bombs, both because they weren't a nuclear threat themselves (a remnant of being the first and, for a long time, the only nation to be hit by nuclear weapons) and the fact that they isolated themselves from the politics of the War, instead choosing to focus inward and prepare to recreate Imperial Japan from the ashes of the apocalypse.

They also got their hands on FEV, and after some horrific experimentation on some 'lessers' like foreigners and eta, have found ways to do more controlled changes to humans and animals alike. Mythological beasts now roam a reborn imperial-feudal society reminiscent of sengoku-era Japan, with wise and nimble kitsune scouts, brave samurai warriors in decorative but devastating power armor, and super mutant-like oni brutes for when a power katana's finesse just isn't enough.
Nothing important here, move along.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »

I was under the impression that most of the people who survived weren't in vaults.

And how the heck are super mutants everywhere when they were created, after the bombs fell, on the West Coast of the US? That just doesn't make any gosh darn sense.

The explanation for why they're in the Capital Wasteland is that there was a vault with the same accelerated evolutionary stuff that was in the American base over in the west, which is a bunch of bullstuff.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:57:57 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:04 pm »

I was under the impression that most of the people who survived weren't in vaults.

And how the heck are super mutants everywhere when they were created after the bombs fell on the East Coast of the US? That just doesn't make any gosh darn sense.

I think the super mutants(in America) were created from two different FEV strains. One owned by the military, one by a vault.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:34:11 pm »

And how the heck are super mutants everywhere when they were created after the bombs fell on the East Coast of the US? That just doesn't make any gosh darn sense.

I think the super mutants(in America) were created from two different FEV strains. One owned by the military, one by a vault.
You'd think they'd at least look different if they were created from two independent secret projects that knew nothing about one another. What are the chances..

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »

Oh, they do. It's just gamewise they reused the Fallout 3 stuff for New Vegas because ?

Super mutants on the west coast look a lot healthier than east coast, and more humanlike i'd say.

Spoiler: West (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: East (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »

Well that's Marcus, he's supposed to look normal. The other in-game super mutants from Fallout 2 (West) do in fact look exactly the same as the ones in Fallout 3 (East).

Adwarf provided an explanation that satisfied me since I had been complaining about it on IRC. West Tek (Vault Tek) developed the FEV before the military seized the project and transferred everything to Mariposa base, so it's logical that they'd still have the formula around and they produced some to spray on vault dwellers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:24:31 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:09 am »

Well that's Marcus, he's supposed to look normal. The other in-game super mutants from Fallout 2 (East) do in fact look exactly the same as the ones in Fallout 3 (West).

Adwarf provided an explanation that satisfied me since I had been complaining about it on IRC. West Tek (Vault Tek) developed the FEV before the military seized the project and transferred everything to Mariposa base, so it's logical that they'd still have the formula around and they produced some to spray on vault dwellers.
No, all the FO1 and 2 Super Mutants look different than the FO3 ones. Marcus looks different, the Liuetenant looks different, Harry looks different, the game models themselves look different, and the ones in the cinematic where they walk over Vault 13 look different. The fact that the FONV ones look a lot like the FO3 ones only suggests to me that either they didn't feel like changing the models too much, or they decided to treat the FO3 look as a reimagining they're going with.

Also, California (FO1 and 2) is in the West, Washington D.C. (FO3) is in the East.

And the FEV theory is wrong, cause it was developed in the West Tek research facility (what became The Glow in FO1), and moved to Mariposa from there once the military seized it. Not all the fuck way across the country. FO3 is just a collection of forcefully and nonsensically rehashed ideas from FO1 and FO2.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:20 am »

Oh okay, so I am right in thinking that it's ridiculous. :v And yeah, whups on getting East/West mixed up.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:18 am »

The explanation for why they're in the Capital Wasteland is that there was a vault with the same accelerated evolutionary stuff that was in the American base over in the east, which is a bunch of bullstuff.

I guess you mean West Coast, since that's where they originated, and the Capital Wasteland presence was mostly just a "this has to be so Fallout and we can't come up with something new so we'll just copy-paste all the creatures from 1&2".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 12:57:08 am »

And yeah, whups on getting East/West mixed up.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:08 am »

IIRC American forces invaded Chinese mainland in the last stages of the war. Due to power armor and "enhanced troops" (sounds like FEV to me) they were advancing rapidly. That is when the Chinese escalated to full nuclear. Based on this, there would likely be survivors/descendants of the American forces in Manchuria. Likely they'd have a set-up similar to Vault City with locals used as labor for the American master race. Pre-war US seemed pretty nazi to me after all. Compared to Vault City, the survivors might have ghouls and super mutants among them, though.

China itself would be really badly hit. Remember, USA is fucking huge geographically. China is physically smaller but packed with people. Nuclear strikes had been concentrated relatively tighter compared to US, where there'd sometimes be hundreds of miles between targets. So I think things would be physically worse than in the US. Culturally, China has always been a patchwork of petty kingdoms that are in "good times" forged together and in times of trouble split into squabbling mini-states. There isn't even one Chinese language, but several. It is realistic to expect that this split had happened again among the old borders. Added to those old cultural units would be the urban sprawls on the coasts. They'd be likely absolutely ruined by the war and filled with raiders, ghouls and undesirables. Plus the occasional free state completely different from Chinese traditions.

What comes to their neighbours... Since the Americans invaded China, it stands to reason they used Japan as a staging ground. So there would be remnants of American troops and military infrastructure there. This would mean loads of supplies destined for the invading armies. Some of the resources and the people might have survived. Japan, on the other hand, would be fucked. It is a small and urban country, easy to obliterate with nuclear weapons. I suppose nukes big enough might have caused tsunamis or triggered earthquakes. I think it would look something like Capitol Wasteland. The people who had survived with least casualties would be in the northern and southern ends.

Korea... I have no idea. Another devastated battleground between Americans and Chinese? Since Americans invaded Manchuria, Korea would be another logical point of entry. I think India would be fucked for the same reason as China; loads of people in a relatively small area. Like China, India has always had strong regional loyalties and identities. It would likely be split among these historical divides, with some ruined high-tech cities standing apart form the traditions. There would be horrible draughts everywhere and wars over water. India is even in contemporary times dependant on melting waters from Himalayas. Thanks to global warming, these sources of water are running out. Considering the enviromental changes in Fallouts, the situation would be drastically worse.

What comes to the global situation in general, I think Iceland and New Zealand would be most untouched by the war. Who would want to target them with nukes and they are far away from other targets. Australia might have been hit by China and would be enviromentally fucked anyway like India. Do we know anything about South America?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 01:34:00 am »

IIRC American forces invaded Chinese mainland in the last stages of the war. Due to power armor and "enhanced troops" (sounds like FEV to me) they were advancing rapidly.

Based on this, there would likely be survivors/descendants of the American forces in Manchuria. Likely they'd have a set-up similar to Vault City with locals used as labor for the American master race. Pre-war US seemed pretty nazi to me after all. Compared to Vault City, the survivors might have ghouls and super mutants among them, though.
Americans never deployed FEV-affected troops. The experiments, researchers and equipment at Mariposa where the human trials were conducted never left that place. There weren't any genetically modified troops in Operation Anchorage either.

I don't think Vaults were built outside of the American mainland. That was Vault Tek's project and it was commercial, meant for civilians, the government, the rich, and their own people. I don't see why they'd build vaults in Manchuria for soldiers.

E: I don't see the Americans as Nazis. The universe is dystopian so generally there are bad things going on everywhere, not to mention the Vaults weren't built by the American government, but by Vault Tek, a bunch of evil mad researchers with a common goal of messing with people already in an awful situation for no good reason.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:40:31 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:45 am »

I thought it said somewhere the troops sent into China had been vaccinated with PVP, precursor of FEV, meant to safeguard them against Chinese biological warfare. Some strains of PVP could spontaneously turn into FEV. I don't remember where this info is from though; reading some stuff in some military place in Fallout3 or New Vegas, most likely. Anyway, Fallout2 already has the Chinese invasion mentioned.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 02:37:37 am »

I thought it said somewhere the troops sent into China had been vaccinated with PVP, precursor of FEV, meant to safeguard them against Chinese biological warfare. Some strains of PVP could spontaneously turn into FEV. I don't remember where this info is from though; reading some stuff in some military place in Fallout3 or New Vegas, most likely.

Anyway, Fallout2 already has the Chinese invasion mentioned.
PVP is FEV. The intention of the project was to create something that would inoculate against biological weapons, which the US feared the Chinese would use against them (they were actually researching invisibility at the time). It didn't work, instead it just made things grow big. Then they renamed it FEV and the research was confiscated from West Tek and everything moved to Mariposa base under military jurisdiction. They realized they wanted super soldiers more than immunity to germs so their focus shifted completely. No soldiers were ever inoculated with PVP because it never had the desired effect (at least not without making you freakishly large).

I'm not contesting the Chinese invasion, that definitely happened. :p No one ever fielded super soldiers on either side though, I'm fairly sure.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:40:26 am by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5