Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf bites were  (Read 1529 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf bites were
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »

So, we all know that a dwarf can become a were if the dwarf gets bitten by the were. Can a dwarf also get infected by biting a were? In Real LifeTM a blood-born pathogen could be transmitted either way, but I don't know if it's possible in DF.

I just had a were transform in the middle of my fort (What?! It's been a month already?!!), and in the ensuing melee I had a few civilians who resorted to biting and I'm wondering if I need to quarantine them in addition to the ones that got bitten. 

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf bites were
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:57:14 pm »

Sounds like a good time for science.  I've... actually never encountered this particular situation.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:00:19 pm »

They can't so far as I know.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:20:34 pm »

Yeah, biting a were creature does not cause the curse to spread. The curse will only be transmitted if the were creature bites a sentient creature. The bite MUST break the skin. Bruises don't count.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:22 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:15 pm »

Sadly, curses bestowed upon an unfortunate creature by a vengeful god can only be transmitted from beast to man with no way to cure it aside from death. Although dwarves biting other creatures and transforming them into a dwarf would be hilarious.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »

Sadly, curses bestowed upon an unfortunate creature by a vengeful god can only be transmitted from beast to man with no way to cure it aside from death. Although dwarves biting other creatures and transforming them into a dwarf would be hilarious.
can be done, I believe.  Both permanently and every full moon
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You just need to define this before their bite attack, and then add
   [SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID:100:100]
into their bite.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 02:08:14 am »

The werebeast pathogen is might only be secreted in saliva, much like rabies*. Pathogens usually have particular tissues they prefer to affect, after all. It would not be present in the meat. However, biting the werecreature in the tongue or lips, as dwarves are wont to do, would be very risky behavior.

On the other hand, to cause full body transformation, the pathogen might have to be integrated into every cell of the organism. To investigate, we need Urist McPasteur to finally invent the microscope.

The lame answer, though, is that pathogens don't exist (yet) and it's a special attack on part of the werecreature that spreads the curse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 02:18:24 am »

The werebeast falls into a spiral of alcoholism and gains a taste for fungus, obviously.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »

Strange thought: would this lead to an amusing way of "cheating" or "beginner mode" for people, if you found a way to make all the dwarves... were-dwarves?  Once a month at the full moon they change into.. a dwarf!  But have all their wounds healed, statuses (hungry, thirsty, etc.) cleared, and so on.