Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 419409 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #3135 on: January 02, 2015, 10:07:59 pm »

Because subtle propaganda like that works better than balls-to-the-wall "yeah lets go kill us some Void!! We're so badass and we kill them so much!" type. If we were shown to be invincible, people would simply get bored of us for being Mary Sues. At worst, they'd dislike us for the same reasons. Vulnerability promotes attachment and relation. Plus, death tugs at the heart strings of mortals.

The whole show highlights the dangers of the Void (death, madness, and corruption), has people hoping that the girls (and thus the gods) get a happy ending, the gods get the final victory (at a steep price so it doesn't appear cheap), and the gods save the world and make life better for everyone. The reincarnation part is a bit fanservicey and makes for a decent bitter-sweet (with more sweet than bitter) ending - the girls did truly die but their legacy lives on.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 02, 2015, 10:23:19 pm »

Because subtle propaganda like that works better than balls-to-the-wall "yeah lets go kill us some Void!! We're so badass and we kill them so much!" type. If we were shown to be invincible, people would simply get bored of us for being Mary Sues. At worst, they'd dislike us for the same reasons. Vulnerability promotes attachment and relation. Plus, death tugs at the heart strings of mortals.

No, it really doesn't. Pretty much all propaganda, especially good propaganda, shows you actually beating your enemies. Look at anything from WWII, the enemies are caricatures and your heroes heroes. Have you ever seen any propaganda where the Good die dies? Even one example? A good example of good propaganda would be the Superman adventure "Clan of the Fiery Cross", AKA "Superman VS the KKK". This was Superman, who the KKK was a joke to, taking down the KKK. Most people state that this was, essentially, what brought the downfall of the KKK being a real power in real life. That is how you get successful propaganda!

The whole show highlights the dangers of the Void (death, madness, and corruption), has people hoping that the girls (and thus the gods) get a happy ending, the gods get the final victory (at a steep price so it doesn't appear cheap), and the gods save the world and make life better for everyone. The reincarnation part is a bit fanservicey and makes for a decent bitter-sweet (with more sweet than bitter) ending - the girls did truly die but their legacy lives on.

But the Void won in the end. All of the "Gods" died. Why would you hope someone has a happy ending if they are dead? That is just silly. The very idea kind of puts some Gods above the others, and there is no reason to make propaganda sad. Have you ever even seen a real propaganda film before? They wave their message around like a hammer, smashing it home, using strong "acting" emotions like fear or patriotism in an attempt to get you to do something. You just want to make an expy of a show you like *Coughoversoulwyrmseverythingelseyouevermadecough*
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 03, 2015, 12:05:30 am »

For the record, people, remember, we are above mortals. We made them to serve as a source of income. Anything beyond that is flavor, trying to increase the influence of your sphere, and playing God. Literally.

We're gods. We are above Angels, Angels are above Mortals. That's just the way it works, in this universe.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:14 am »

I guess it's not going to happen then.

KJP, what sphere would a god need to have to effectively change the rules? For example, the new god would be able to say that all future angels must be based on a pre-existing race and are powerful relative to the race chosen. The "better" the race the higher the cost. An angel based on a Gem Dragon, for example, would be much more powerful - and would thus cost much more in terms of Essence - than an angel based on a Human. What sphere would a god need to have to do this kind of thing? Rules? Reality?

In other news, I found a really neat picture of what Lady Malakath looks like, except with red eyes instead of blue:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 03, 2015, 12:10:16 am »

I think they would have to hold the GM sphere, because everyone present would subsequently shove that God out of the Bubble so hard and fast he might actually survive by landing in a separate Bubble before being torn to pieces by the essence of the Null.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: January 03, 2015, 12:11:59 am »

Maybe a god of Fiction? Ye Gods is fiction so they would thus hold ultimate power, even over a god of Omnipotence or something.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: January 03, 2015, 12:23:53 am »

For the record, people, remember, we are above mortals. We made them to serve as a source of income. Anything beyond that is flavor, trying to increase the influence of your sphere, and playing God. Literally.

We're gods. We are above Angels, Angels are above Mortals. That's just the way it works, in this universe.

And yet Fusil is the arrogant one? "I AM THE GOD OF GOOD. ALL MORTALS ARE ONLY MY PAWNS. YOU ONLY EXIST SO I MAKE MONEY!"

KJP, what sphere would a god need to have to effectively change the rules? For example, the new god would be able to say that all future angels must be based on a pre-existing race and are powerful relative to the race chosen. The "better" the race the higher the cost. An angel based on a Gem Dragon, for example, would be much more powerful - and would thus cost much more in terms of Essence - than an angel based on a Human. What sphere would a god need to have to do this kind of thing? Rules? Reality?

Why would you want that? It seems to needlessly remove creativity. I personally think that Angels like the moving castle with an atomic hammer are more interesting than Durrath's generic winged humans.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: January 03, 2015, 01:35:07 am »

Oh, no, Stirk, I don't think you get it.

I separate IC from OOC. Those aren't Darruth's thoughts, those are my observations.

The fact of the matter is, the players are the Gods. The mortals are NPCs. PCs>NPCs.

Plus, regardless, it's rather true. What we do with the 'money' after that is a different matter.

Also, because if you're gonna be a jerk I can be one right back: KJP, he's mispelling it purposefully again.

Finally: You have no idea what Guardian Angels look like, nor what any other angels might look like, and Palatino was only like she was because if I went for the biblical angel version you'd rave and rant and generally be a dick about 'How can you be a god of Goodness if your Angels look like eldritch abominations durr'.

Seriously I'm getting sick of your bullshit again.

So I've decided to simply stop caring about you. What you think, how you might respond...I just fail to give a shit anymore. Should make this game far more enjoyable for me.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: January 03, 2015, 01:56:50 am »

I separate IC from OOC. Those aren't Darruth's thoughts, those are my observations.

So do I. That was you OOC yelling it. Why do you think it wasn't in color? Besides, you said the same thing IC, essentially, if memory serves.

The fact of the matter is, the players are the Gods. The mortals are NPCs. PCs>NPCs.

If anything, the NPCs are more "human" than most gods. They live lives, have jobs, raise families....Saying that they are just points to be won is kind of cruel.

Plus, regardless, it's rather true. What we do with the 'money' after that is a different matter.

Is it? I don't remember creating mortals as a pure source of income. This is a creation game. The entire point is to create things, creating things just for the essence seems kind of hollow.

Finally: You have no idea what Guardian Angels look like, nor what any other angels might look like, and Palatino was only like she was because if I went for the biblical angel version you'd rave and rant and generally be a dick about 'How can you be a god of Goodness if your Angels look like eldritch abominations durr'.

Would I? I know just as much about the Biblical Angels as you do, and if anything have more "eldrich abomination" creations than anyone else. Do you really think I have no idea what your Angels look like? You where in an open war with me. Do you think I wouldn't keep tabs on an obvious enemy? I have seen the Guardian Angels IC. I have seen your other Angels IC. So yeah, I kind of know what they look like.

Also, because if you're gonna be a jerk I can be one right back: KJP, he's mispelling it purposefully again.

It is spelled it, I don't think I have misspelled it yet. How would that even work? I? T? Ib? Id?

Seriously I'm getting sick of your bullshit again.

That took, what, one post?

So I've decided to simply stop caring about you. What you think, how you might respond...I just fail to give a shit anymore. Should make this game far more enjoyable for me.

Last time I ignored you, you didn't seem to understand the concept. I wonder how it will go over now?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: January 03, 2015, 02:39:31 am »

Why would you want that? It seems to needlessly remove creativity. I personally think that Angels like the moving castle with an atomic hammer are more interesting than Durrath's generic winged humans.
It was merely an example of the kind of thing I think the god should do. I actually like the angels as they are now, minus their occasionally overpowered nature. I at least leave some weaknesses in my creations so I don't ruin the fun for everyone. Perfection sucks.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:17 am »

Perfection is subjective :P

It's funny. I never considered non gods to be npcs. Considering they are controlled by a human GM, I tend to treat them similarly to how I treat other players. If anything, I probably treat my followers better than I treat most of the other gods. Fusil and Grauel both seem to treat their archangels like family or close friends to a large extent. At least that's how I see things. It's also kind of why I don't like directly acting out the Devourer. I like to think of it as a separate but close entity to Grauel and not just a tool or extension.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: January 03, 2015, 03:58:59 am »

Perfection is subjective :P

It's funny. I never considered non gods to be npcs. Considering they are controlled by a human GM, I tend to treat them similarly to how I treat other players. If anything, I probably treat my followers better than I treat most of the other gods. Fusil and Grauel both seem to treat their archangels like family or close friends to a large extent. At least that's how I see things. It's also kind of why I don't like directly acting out the Devourer. I like to think of it as a separate but close entity to Grauel and not just a tool or extension.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Video Game Kindness Capacity is certainly in play here. I try to be protective and kind to my NPCs, if only because since it's an actual human being deciding how they act, there is a bit more responsiveness than an AI would give. And Darruth views basically all of his creations as his children, to an extent; but that's my point. They are the Children, He is the Parent.

Mostly my point was about these people basically being, in the end, an interactive power source, if you want to make it sound as heartless as possible, because all the arguments about 'wow you're certainly putting yourself on a pedestal/being racist for thinking you're better than X/Y is better than X' were being to annoy me because YES. We're GODS. We're a bit more important both for the survival of the bubble, since mortals can get fucked over by the Void if left to their own devices, and in terms of general power, AND in terms of storyline importance, where we, as a whole, are the Protagonists, and the Void are the Antagonists. Sorta.

Also, as a point of clarification, just because I want to make things clear; Not caring isn't quite the same as ignoring. Not caring just means you aren't a factor anymore, in terms of giving a shit about how it might affect people's feelings, what they might like to see in the game, or anything like that. Doesn't mean I won't read your posts in the vague hopes that something interesting might come out of it. And since I care what KJP thinks, still, I'll try and keep things mostly civil. Don't want this game descending into anarchy, after all. I just feel that things will go a lot more smoothly if I can manage to not give a shit about what you think, say, do(up to a point; Fusil's still a factor, after all), or feel. And additionally: Nope.

After-post: Perfection is impossible. Thetis' Folly; in the OP. Attempting to be strong everywhere will result in one being weak everywhere. If nothing else, pumping enough Essence towards something will eventually cause it to break, or to be done 'successfully'. I try and cover weaknesses, but I try to do it in the sense of 'oh look the castle has a hole in the wall let's go in there and oh god so many traps why did we think this was a good idea arghlblarghlbleh'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: January 03, 2015, 04:09:08 am »

I'd like to request that Rolepgeek and Stirk stop vowing to ignore whatever crap they say to each other. You never do and it gets annoying reading for the umpteenth time about how "you're stupid/unreasonable and I'm done arguing with you" before proceeding to argue even more.

After-post: Perfection is impossible. Thetis' Folly; in the OP. Attempting to be strong everywhere will result in one being weak everywhere. If nothing else, pumping enough Essence towards something will eventually cause it to break, or to be done 'successfully'. I try and cover weaknesses, but I try to do it in the sense of 'oh look the castle has a hole in the wall let's go in there and oh god so many traps why did we think this was a good idea arghlblarghlbleh'
Theoretically, this would be the case. Unfortunately, people manage to "patch up" these problems all the time with no negative repercussions. Tykki in particular has been created as an "ultimate being" with no problem whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:11:17 am by Andres »

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3148 on: January 03, 2015, 06:11:30 am »

Missed my vote on 79.05 It was Oppose
Fixed on local copy; 4-4 and still imminent death.

If it's 4-4 now, then it was imminent success before, wasn't it?
4-3 would have been 56%, so no resolution or imminent death.
Okay then:

Name: Fortuna

Sphere: Luck

Primary Form/Associated Symbol: A pair of dice in mid-throw, or a coin standing on its edge. Personified as a blind man with a gnarled, white wood walking stick, seemingly too short for him to be able to garner any information from his surroundings, but unerringly able to navigate and avoid all obstacles.

Description: Loves games of chance, and loathes all forms of cheating and deception, as well as fate. Fortuna does not limit himself to gambling, however. Every walk of life is susceptible to luck, and is known to grant good fortune to his followers, while bestowing bad luck on their detractors. Also fickle. May grant you the world one moment, and take it away the next.

Hopefully being the manifestation of luck will do me some good.
Added. It's missing the bald patch on the back of the head, though. ;)

I guess it's not going to happen then.

In other news, I found a really neat picture of what Lady Malakath looks like, except with red eyes instead of blue:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sphere suggestions:
Diplomacy, Friendliness, Compromise, &c. (It depends more on play-style than on a sphere. The spheres were intended to provide some manner of foundation/starting point for building character so we don't end up with everyone becoming a Zeus-clone or something like that.)

A god of Omnipotence would, notably, have to back up the sphere with actual ability. Mostly social ability, probably.

Stirk: I'd recommend adding Darruth to whatever spellcheck system you have in place or having something to run s/D\wrr\wth/Darruth/g.

Thetis' Folly: It's more of an observation than a rule. Even Tykki has a gaping weakness yet to be discovered, exploited, or patched (not that it's cheaply patchable)...

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:10 am »

#rekt

Edit: wasnt silencing Fusil at imminent death, not imminent success?

79.05: Silence Fusil permanently (5-3/15) [PASSED]
+5 from Quéßäre, Azem, Melyssa, Joha, Malakath
0 from 7 others
-3 from Grauel, Fusil, Khaziraad

Fixed on local copy; 4-4 and still imminent death.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:36:46 am by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 350