Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 419375 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #3495 on: January 15, 2015, 03:33:39 am »

$$$
Spoiler: Fancy goop race (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:51:14 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 15, 2015, 04:42:23 am »

So Fusil just troled Malkath out of 9E. I knew there was a reason why we keep him araund.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3497 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:41 am »

Stirk: 1 warning as well for putting slightly damp kindling on the flamebait, so to speak.
Past experience has shown that "my Q can P R'er than your Q" discussions are unproductive and lead to much argument.
Messing with time: You all may want to be more careful about introducing paradoxes...

$$$Response
A race with both forward time travel recovery and gaining strength near deaths: 22E base
Fancy goop race: 25E base

Or you could try having everyone do mostly free investigations that may turn up additional relevant information. :P
Also, the price for Julian-assisted revivals won't be that small for especially relevant notables. It also won't work on the perma-dead to avoid having a euphemism treadmill-equivalent event.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:07 am »

Humans are actually the most populous race, from the sounds of it, after I asked KJP.

~50 Million, give or take, and within another doubling of everything else together.

You really should stop assuming things and taking that stuff for granted, Andres.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 15, 2015, 11:14:09 am »

Sidenote; Vetoes don't actually do anything unless you can spend something to enforce them. They aren't magical buzzwords that auto-prevent things you don't like. In fact, typically all they do is make whatever it is more expensive for the other party if you don't spend Essence to enforce it.
Yes, vetoes do just that, either increase the cost or hinder or stop the action, based on resources spent. A zero-Essence veto from a single person might not stop everything, but it does give an incentive to gather support and/or collaborators, or to act undercover. You can't exactly say vetoes do nothing, can you?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 15, 2015, 05:27:02 pm »

Humans are actually the most populous race, from the sounds of it, after I asked KJP.

~50 Million, give or take, and within another doubling of everything else together.

You really should stop assuming things and taking that stuff for granted, Andres.
Holy crap how did it get that high in what I assume to be about 1500 years!? I'd expect Night Elves or some other immortal race to reach that high number but not stupid-mortal Humans! Immortal races reproduce as rapidly as mortal races, don't they? If not then why do we get less Essence from them if their numbers remain pretty much the same or even less than mortal races?

How numerous are Night Elves? How numerous are Mountwyrms? How numerous are Dwarves? How numerous are Merpeople? How numerous are Wood Elves? How numerous are Luminees? How numerous are Hummingbirds? How numerous are the Gruen? How numerous are the Armu?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 15, 2015, 05:33:00 pm »

How numerous are Kobolds?

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 15, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »

How numerous are the Rani? How numerous are the Shadow Ravens? How numerous are the Snow Golems?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 15, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »

Andres asked just a bit ago when Malakath was created, and I don't remember humans being mentioned at all. Additionally, I never remember them reaching those numbers. He is correct to make that assumption, seeing as everyone pretty much ignored humans (aside from Yaos strangling them..), even if the assumption is incorrect.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 15, 2015, 06:57:05 pm »

Oh, I don't blame him for making that assumption. It's more the way he makes assumptions, and the other assumptions he's made. Like believing I spent 7 Essence to make a system that already existed.

Also, Andres...do you not understand population growth? I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm just wanting to point out that America got from 3 Million or so in the 1780 census to 50 million in the 1880. Yes I know quite a lot of this was immigration, but if that happened in 100 years, 1500 years? Easy.

Also, humans breed like fuckin' rabbits, and adapt really well, besides the whole tribe-society and capacity for violence and slash-and-burn we have going for us. Plus the bit about immortal races typically breeding rather slowly(not much reason to have kids if you're immortal anyway...).

We get less essence from immortal races because they're closer to being gods. It's about power, remember? There's a sweet spot, above 'wild beast' and below 'titan'.

Also, asking how numerous things are is a good way to get things badly wrong, since he usually does a logarithmic scale. I asked how many to the nearest 10 million; I'd thought the total pop of the world was about 50 million, rather approximately twice that(as in I think it's approximately that much, could probably be anywhere from 70-155 million total), so it's not like I got it right.

Our worlds are actually extremely low population. As a reference, the Earth hit 100 Million population around -600 BC(if I'm reading this graph right). But Keshan and Slytha have the pop split between them. 50 Million pop was around -1000 BC. And on it's own, this would be evidence of a fairly low population world. But it's not on it's own. Our technology level is around mid-late medieval, minus guns, and there's magic, which is/should be rather a major factor. There are, of course, plagues and the like, but...the Bubonic Plague made a fairly shallow dent in world population, and it killed a third of it's victims. The magical plagues, as far as I have been able to tell, have not killed nearly enough people to do reduce pop enough for that to be a viable cause.

Add on to this that there are such a multitude of races, capable of inhabiting so many different environments(flying races, races that can build in the sky, aquatic races, subterranean races), some races don't need food, and some races don't even need air(mostly thinking of the Golems), and it becomes yet more flagrant.

Which presents to me several options (sidenote real quick: KJP, I'm not trying to attack you. You're an awesome GM, and it doesn't really retract from the setting since it's rather arbitrary numbers in any case. Anyone can suffer from [Warning: TVtropes ahead] lack of scale, after all. Just point out what I've observed.) to explain this.

A. Our worlds are extremely inhospitable to life.
B. Our races are rather shite at reproducing/growing in number on their own, which could be for any number of reasons.
C. Our worlds are rather small despite their gravity(We made the laws of physics how we wanted to after all) and so cannot support a large population.
D. Something is actively preventing the population from growing larger than the entity wants it to be
E. Some side-effect or similar scenario is in place such that the population has difficult growing for another reason, like Divinity particles interfering with conception. In other words the laws of physics say you can't have as many babies (survive).
F. Some other thing I haven't considered yet.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »

Oh, I don't blame him for making that assumption. It's more the way he makes assumptions, and the other assumptions he's made. Like believing I spent 7 Essence to make a system that already existed.

You really should have chosen a different time to call him out on it then, or at least a different subject. Weird thing to do when it was a good one to make  :-\.

Also, Andres...do you not understand population growth? I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm just wanting to point out that America got from 3 Million or so in the 1780 census to 50 million in the 1880. Yes I know quite a lot of this was immigration, but if that happened in 100 years, 1500 years? Easy.

...Literally most of America's population growth was immigration. A much better model would be a country with a more stable population, like England or France. Even then you are comparing it to a pretty modern time, when things like "medicine" and "guns" existed in large quantities, compared to a quasi-medial land that we made. We don't even know how much time has passed...

Also, humans breed like fuckin' rabbits, and adapt really well, besides the whole tribe-society and capacity for violence and slash-and-burn we have going for us. Plus the bit about immortal races typically breeding rather slowly(not much reason to have kids if you're immortal anyway...).

Yeah, but so does everything else. There is no reason that humans would breed more than other races, especially races like the Lumanee who can breed with anyone. There is no reason for breeding alone to make humans more populous then other races, unless it was a secret ability we gave them for some reason.

Our worlds are actually extremely low population. As a reference, the Earth hit 100 Million population around -600 BC(if I'm reading this graph right). But Keshan and Slytha have the pop split between them. 50 Million pop was around -1000 BC. And on it's own, this would be evidence of a fairly low population world. But it's not on it's own. Our technology level is around mid-late medieval, minus guns, and there's magic, which is/should be rather a major factor. There are, of course, plagues and the like, but...the Bubonic Plague made a fairly shallow dent in world population, and it killed a third of it's victims. The magical plagues, as far as I have been able to tell, have not killed nearly enough people to do reduce pop enough for that to be a viable cause.

The worlds do have low population. The reference you are using (McEverdy and Jones, probably) also states that the population remained fairly stable at 190,000,000, showing that just time does not necessarily equal more. You also forget that humanity didn't just appear out of thin air, it to millennium for them to get to that point, not centuries. Depending on what you qualify "human" as, it could have taken even longer. Our humans did just appear out of thin air, but there wasn't a lot of them to start with. You are comparing apples and oranges, our world is not like our world.

Which presents to me several options (sidenote real quick: KJP, I'm not trying to attack you. You're an awesome GM, and it doesn't really retract from the setting since it's rather arbitrary numbers in any case. Anyone can suffer from [Warning: TVtropes ahead] lack of scale, after all. Just point out what I've observed.) to explain this.

Apparently, Sci-fi readers have no since of scale either. As I said before, it took thousands and thousands of years for humanity to get to that point. We create things out of thin air, but that doesn't mean they automatically have 1800's standard population growth -_-.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 15, 2015, 08:11:43 pm »

We get less essence from immortal races because they're closer to being gods. It's about power, remember? There's a sweet spot, above 'wild beast' and below 'titan'.
That's a bit unfair. The industrial revolution was in full swing by the time 1780 came around and that made an absolutely HUGE difference in population growth. See here. You'd think that magic would make a big difference but looking back to the giant dust bowl it was theorised that millions of people would die from starvation. If magic made that big of a difference then there wouldn't have been as much of a scare. Maybe it can make such a big difference but only in the way that world hunger would take a huge hit if America's military budget was diverted to lessening it. It's theoretically possible but the likelihood of such an event is non-existent. (Not judging here. It's just an example.)

We did not arbitrarily make immortals breed any slower. If we did, then the cost of making them would be lower.

That brings me back to my earlier complaint. What's stopping us from creating a short-lived, fast-breeding race of pitifully weak but fully-sapient creatures and having them worship us? The balance is wrong.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 15, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »

They'd be ruthlessly exploited by the Gruen for food.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 15, 2015, 08:23:52 pm »

We did not arbitrarily make immortals breed any slower. If we did, then the cost of making them would be lower.

That brings me back to my earlier complaint. What's stopping us from creating a short-lived, fast-breeding race of pitifully weak but fully-sapient creatures and having them worship us? The balance is wrong.

It is inherent in the system, for balance reasons. You are intended to be able to make a short-lived fast breeding race of pitifully weak but fully sapient creatures just for essence. That is my understanding of it, at least.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #3509 on: January 15, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »

$$$
I might make some on that ice planet if that's okay with you Ama and LuckyKobold. Say, 100 there and 100 on each of the paired worlds.

But that begs the question, what happens if you die somewhere without an opposite world counterpart?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:32:07 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 350