Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Youtube videos  (Read 1505 times)

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Youtube videos
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:57 pm »

I know this isn't the usual suggestion you get here, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

Toady should start a youtube channel where he can show off some of the features he's working on and maybe wants us to see with our own eyes. Threetoe should be the one editing, uploading and managing the videos, and handling other annoyances that would distract the toad from his strange mood. He should also set ads to the highest settings and us cheap maggots who haven't donated will support the cause by watching every single ad in each video.

They get some income from said ads, no matter how little, and we get some sweet footage of unreleased versions of the game. Win-win.

Aye?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube videos
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:55:21 pm »

That might be cool for the big releases while he is working on those, which he isn't atm.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:02:25 pm »

That might be cool for the big releases while he is working on those, which he isn't atm.

I don't know man, I kinda wanna see dwarfs climbing ladders.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »

It would occupy a large portion of time in Toady's schedule. Setting up videos, editing them, uploading and all that nonsense is not really something he cant already do with mere images and text. Besides, dwarf fortress is a game better played than viewed. If anything, video tutorials might make it all the more confusing to understand what exactly he is working on and how it's coming along.

That said, I would greatly enjoy a DF talk every now and then :(

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »

It would occupy a large portion of time in Toady's schedule.

I specifically said it should be Threetoe handling everything apart from the recording itself. The only thing Toady has to do is press the record button, show us whatever he felt like showing us at that moment, then press stop and continue coding as usual. Threetoe then drops whatever he's doing and gets to work on all those things you said like editing and uploading. The world is happy.

not really something he cant already do with mere images and text

He can't monetize mere images and text.

Besides, dwarf fortress is a game better played than viewed. If anything, video tutorials might make it all the more confusing to understand what exactly he is working on and how it's coming along.

I don't expect him to make video tutorials at all, what I would hope for is a quick peek every now and then to something cool with a bit of commentary whenever he feels like it. Though if he feels like doing a tutorial then who are we to stop him?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:45:48 pm »

Well, he could. The websites would have ads all over if Toady wanted revenue from that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:00 pm »

Well, he could. The websites would have ads all over if Toady wanted revenue from that.

Yeah I guess he could... well he can always forget about the ads and do it just for our enjoyment, right?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:00 pm »

Oh yeah. There's definitely at least three people who'd watch those videos.

Honestly, I don't see the need for it. It's not a bad idea, and I would certainly appreciate a "sneak peak" at future releases, but there's not a lot that you can get out of a video that can't be transmitted with images and text - especially in the case of a graphic-less (it's a word now) game like DF.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 02:45:03 am »

Oh yeah. There's definitely at least three people who'd watch those videos.

Honestly, I don't see the need for it. It's not a bad idea, and I would certainly appreciate a "sneak peak" at future releases, but there's not a lot that you can get out of a video that can't be transmitted with images and text - especially in the case of a graphic-less (it's a word now) game like DF.

If he uses the videos as a little extra for some of his update posts and records them with live commentary, I honestly don't know what could possibly make them better, serious.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:35 am »

I suppose it would be nice, but it just doesn't seem necessary.

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:14:01 am »

I suppose it would be nice, but it just doesn't seem necessary.

Nice things in life are always necessary my friend. I know what you mean though, it's alright if it doesn't happen.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:59:02 am »

Well, Toady actually did something sorta similar a while back. But it seems he stopped making these a while ago.

I'm with Enchiridion on this one, I just want another installment of DF Talk.

edit: I also found these clips which show off some of the early goblin war camps and sneaking for the .40 release made in 2012. So I suppose it isn't as dead as I initially thought.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:13:16 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:53:31 am »

I don't know man, I kinda wanna see dwarfs climbing ladders.

It's not like it's going to take long for the update to come out.