Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 425848 times)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1605 on: October 01, 2015, 04:18:10 pm »

That, and we could just simply rely on the concrete wall I put up.

But are they made of soap?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Speaking off Overseers, did anyone notify Pyro?

Edit:
OOC: The plot thickens in very... mysterious ways...

Aye, but just how thicker can it get?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:38:58 pm by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 02, 2015, 10:10:37 am »

Journal of Dark Two

Another long evening spent in the office. I was checking reports again - kobold snatchers, goblin siege, vermin infestation or kea thefts were reported. Snatchers - this might be a job for the order, only if it breakes through fortress' defenses. Goblin siege - if there's no military to protect citizens, order must act. Vermin infestation - wrong address. Kea thefts - only if these kea were dangerous to anyone.

There's also one strange case. A ranger living in hillocks to the south-west of human settlement DateTattooed reported strange phenomena occuring at evening:

"Report i2x1067

Vampires and spectre, south-west of DateTattooed

Ranger Solon Uristildom claims that he spotted lizardmen in the forests south-west from DateTattooed, and south-west from his hillock. Four or five of lizardmen were going out of their lair and wandering the forest. The sun was low on the sky, as soon as lizardmen spotted him, they gave a chase. Animal traps placed by Solon gave him some time to escape from the onslaught. Later that night he saw strange lights upon his hillock. Ranger said that he saw some kind of a spectre, resembling human female. She slowly faded away, and when she was almost impossible to see, a long horrifying scream came from the direction of the forest. Someone shouted: Nifih!"

I don't know what to think about it. Vampires... spectres... Nifih... There's something strange in that name. I'll make sure that Chief Inquisitor would get a copy of this report.

After a while Dark found a letter from Don Pedro buried under rest of the reports. He gave me a silver coin which works like some protection charms... I don't need magical protection, I have to find a way to use it as a protective ward for the whole fortress. But how? Who might be able to help me with that? Perhaps the mysterious Drazoth the 3rd. From his letter I deduced that he might have some knowledge about magic and stuff. Time to send letters:

Spoiler: To Don Pedro (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To D3 (click to show/hide)

With that I have sent a letter to Don Pedro, and the letter with silver coin to D3.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 02, 2015, 10:56:43 am »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 02, 2015, 02:16:48 pm »

Snip

Clever Dick....

Sigged.

[cheeky]Celebrate while you can, mortal. While my plans towards you failed you may have just given me a better prey than hoped...[/cheeky]

But really, well played. I will not get into what the coin is supposed to do here as to avoid OOC knowledge Drazoth could act upon, but still well played.

Edit: What I meant was not to sound patronising but rather congratulate a great piece of RP. We, as players know it is bad news 'cause the description of creation. His character does not. And yet he found perfect in-character reason to not accept the gift.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:42:45 pm by exodius1 »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 02, 2015, 03:39:07 pm »

OOC:  I think Pyro may be waiting for a more complete turn list, or confirmation that mine is accurate.  As I said, I only started looking at a certain point, and there might be requests that I had missed.  If someone could find look from page 85 going backward to Taupe's request, we should be able to see if I missed anyone.

Kronk entered 3's room, where he sat at his desk, laughing.

"What's so funny sir?"

"Nothing much, it's just that after all this time it looks like I've found a new playmate.  The inquisition never really posed enough challenge for me to bother with, and with the MechaTechno already firmly on my side, I've not a an opponent worth my time.  At least, not since Dark One died, or whatever it is gods do when they cease to exist.  Any way, now that Don Pedro is here I finally have someone to challenge me."

"That's great news sir.  Anyway, I was on my way here when I saw one of the guys at the order coming to deliver you a message, so I managed to convince him to hand it to me.  As far as I can tell, he hasn't tried to peek at it."

"Very good, hand it here would you?"

Kronk gives 3 the letter.  After reading it and examining the coin inside it, he smiles.

"It seems that Dark Two has gotten caught up in the game himself.  That reminds me, I have letter for him.  Would you mind delivering for me when you get the chance?"

"Not a problem sir."

As 3 continues to examine the coin, Kronk delivers his report on recent events.

"Hmmm, rectified spirits eh?  Not many sane people will deal with the stuff.  Must be Pedro.  Probably used it to create this coin.  I know I sensed magic a while ago, this must have been it.  I've got nothing else I need you for today, why don't you go get yourself dinner and meet with me in the usual time in the morning."

"Very well sir."

Kronk leaves, carrying the letter with him to the dining hall.  After he leaves, someone else enters.

"Ah, 7.  It's been so long.  How's mother?"

"She's well.  What's this thing you needed me to pass on to her?  Why's it so special you didn't bother to use a construct?"

"Simple.  There's an agent of the organization known as Regenreich in DoomForests.  This organization seems to operate by having agents possess mortals, and then acting through them.  I know they aren't based in this dimension, and besides what I've already said, I don't know much else.  This sheet contains a copy of a list of materials this agent says he needs.  This one is a copy of a contract he sent me.  He apparently needs 9 dwarves to sign it, as he requires they're assistance.  I've looked them over and for the life of me can't figure out what they could be used for.  I want the others to take a look at them, maybe they'll know something I don't.  I also received a warning that the contract should not be altered in any way, as the results would be extremely dire.  Try to send word if the others can figure anything out.  Also tell mother I said 'hi'."

"Will do.  Anything else?"

"Not that I can think of."

With that 7 leaves, heading towards the caverns.

"Now for this coin.  I know that this is what Pedro mentioned in his letter, but does it do what I think it does?  I think I have just the way to test it....."

With that, he takes out the Dark One's other gift, and touches the coin to it while saying a strange word.  As soon as the coin touches the gift, it vanishes.  He then goes around the room, checking every large object, then, satisfied, he touches the gift to each while saying the same word.  Once his larger things are gone, he touches the gift to the ground in a few places, while saying two words each time.  At each place he touched, there was a small flash of sickly green light, then a construct made largely of crundle bones appeared.  He gave them their instructions, then once they had left with the rest of his things he leaves the room as well.  He touches the gift to a small rune on the wall, which was connected to a trail of runes reaching to the floor, disappearing under the dust.  He says several words, after checking to make sure no on was watching.  The trail of runes glowed red for a moment.  He leaves, smiling to himself.  Behind him, there is no trace that the room he had just left ever existed.

As he walks through the hall towards the caverns, he thinks back to all the fun he had with the Dark One, then begins softly singing, "Beware, beware of the words I twist, I am small but my reach is long.  And the ravens black against the winters mist are whispering the half man's song....."

Letter for Dark Two:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:55:42 pm by Drazoth »
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 02, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

Oh, yeah, I forgot to define those...

Spoiler: Regenreichen Pakt (click to show/hide)

As for what the Coin does... well, it does ward you from things... while holding it you notice a certain lack of background noise...*innocent smile*

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:39:45 pm by exodius1 »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 02, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »

[OOC]

Edit: What I meant was not to sound patronising but rather congratulate a great piece of RP. We, as players know it is bad news 'cause the description of creation. His character does not. And yet he found perfect in-character reason to not accept the gift.

Thanks! At first I wanted to follow the "What bad could happen?" rule I used extensively with Dark One, and wanted to place the silver coin in a socket within Klan-Masters weapon. The idea with sending the coin to Drazoth came to me later.

[/OOC]

Journal of Dark Two

Just when I thought that I have everything done in my office, and went straight towards my bedroom, a messanger stopped me. I received a letter from Drazoth the 3rd.

Spoiler: Letter (click to show/hide)

Taking caution with Don Pedro's silver coin? Maybe there was a curse placed on it, but what uses D3 could find for such an item? Also, I may finally learn something more about my predecessor than just rumors. I must respond immediately!

Spoiler: Response (click to show/hide)

I gave the letter to the same messanger, and head on to my bedroom. The small room had a rock coffer, small chest, a chair, table, bed, weapon rack, armor stand and shelves with books on brewing and alchemy. The room is faintly lit by an ending-out candle which would be replaced soon. I take down my gear and place it on armor stand and weapon rack, then I take a key and open the chest and coffer, and take out selfmade alchemic equipment I call "Small Still". Next I take some ingredients from coffer to prepare a special concoction that makes anyone sleep like a bear. After a short while of calculating right proportions and some alchemical operations, the brew is ready. It does miracles after long day of work, giving a huge energy boost when waking up. I hide the equipment and then close chest, coffer, and doors to my room. I sip just a little of the beverage, leaving enough for the whole week, and fall asleep.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 02, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »

[OOC]

Thanks! At first I wanted to follow the "What bad could happen?" rule I used extensively with Dark One, and wanted to place the silver coin in a socket within Klan-Masters weapon. The idea with sending the coin to Drazoth came to me later.

[/OOC]

That would have been rather... interesting to say the least. I find it prudent to mention for fairnesses sake that while the coin DOES ward it is not its only function. However I would not call it a curse.

Spoiler:  To Klan Master (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:12:11 pm by exodius1 »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 02, 2015, 05:27:27 pm »

OOC: Thanks for defining the contracts, it shall make RP involving them much easier.

3 was down in the caverns with his constructs.  He drew a trail of runes on the wall, touched the gift to it and spoke at length in an unknown language.  When he was done, there was a blinding flash of that sickly green light, then a section of wall disappeared, creating a room the same size as his old one.  With the room created, the constructs got to work putting his things in their place, while 3 returned his desk, chair, bed and coffer to their place.  Once that was done, he touched the gift to each construct in turn, saying 2 words each time.  With a flash of that sickly light they disappeared. 

He then wandered out into the caverns, going to no particular place.  Once there he held the gift over his open palm, and spoke a single word.  The coin he had received from Dark Two appeared in his hand.  He placed it on the floor, then quickly carved some runes in a nearby wall.  He touched the first one and said a word.  The runes lit up with a dull red.  He then took out a small pair of tongs, and picked up the coin.  He then touched the coin to the runes and waited for a moment.  He then dropped the coin in his hand and held it tight for a few moments.  He then touched the gift to it and said the same word he had said the first time, and it vanished again.  He then touched the runes and spoke a word.  They stopped glowing and went dormant.  Looking satisfied he returned to his new room and began writing a letter.
Once finished, he sealed it as normal, then placed some runes on the seal.  He then went back to the entrance to the fort, said a word to activate the runes and placed it on the ground.  He then returned to his room and waited.  After a while, Kronk entered with a letter from Dark Two. After reading it, he writes a quick response, then goes to sleep as Kronk leaves to deliver it.

After a while Faustus arrived at the letter, picked it up and returned to Don Pedro.

Letter to Don Pedro:

Letter to Dark Two:

Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:21 pm »

Are we overdoing the RP? Taupe, any opinion on this? If not I can keep going.

What I meant by the candle bit is, do not be startled if some of your weaker constructs start malfunctioning in the presence of the coin... Nope, not ominous at all...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:55:16 pm by exodius1 »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 02, 2015, 10:11:45 pm »

3 sat at his desk, looking at Don Pedro's letter.  The part about Regenreich's structure didn't surprize him much, beyond the names used for the positions.  There was one part that did catch his eye though.  "this was pretty much it," .  That implied that there was more than what he had stated.  3 guessed that the warding was more than he had thought, his test didn't show much due to how the runes where structured, and their source of power.  At any rate, it was his turn in the game.  He thought for a while, and then began writing.  Once he was done, he placed the letter where he had placed the last one, and went back to his room to sleep, as this last letter had woken him up when Faustus dropped it off.

Letter to Don Pedro:

OOC: Personally, I think we should reduce the amount of RP for now, if only so that we don't burn through all our ideas before the next person starts their turn.  For bonus points, who can be the first to identify the song 3 was singing 2 posts (of mine) ago?  Also, any ideas for other good songs similar to that one?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:15:44 pm by Drazoth »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 02, 2015, 10:19:58 pm »

3 sat at his desk, looking at Don Pedro's letter.  The part about Regenreich's structure didn't surprize him much, beyond the names used for the positions.  There was one part that did catch his eye though.  "this was pretty much it," .  That implied that there was more than what he had stated.  3 guessed that the warding was more than he had thought, his test didn't show much due to how the runes where structured, and their source of power.  At any rate, it was his turn in the game.  He thought for a while, and then began writing.  Once he was done, he placed the letter where he had placed the last one, and went back to his room to sleep, as this last letter had woken him up when Faustus dropped it off.

Letter to Don Pedro:

OOC: Personally, I think we should reduce the amount of RP for now, if only so that we don't burn through all our ideas before the next person starts their turn.  For bonus points, who can be the first to identify the song 3 was singing 2 posts (of mine) ago?  Also, any ideas for other good songs similar to that one?

Miracle of Sound's Half-man Song, about Tyrion, easy. And no idea as to what song to recommend... As to RP, yeah, I will slow down with it a bit. I will wait till Dark One posts his before making my move...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 02, 2015, 10:46:03 pm »

I feel RP and journals are at their best when they work closely with what's happening in the fortress. The more you go on about side-stories without anchoring them to what's going on turn-wise, the greater the gap between roleplay and gameplay becomes. The main issue that arises, is that people have to choose whether they'll be taking part in journals closely related to turn events, or go all nuts themselves and join on the side-story party, but they can hardly do both. The storylines of Callista the bone carver and Dark One the rampaging corpse-mutant abomination are a prime example. They both relate to Doomforests, but they can hardly interact together in a credible way that leads to something greater; one is siding with the gameplay events, the other mostly exists in the metaplot events.

This is of course just my point of view, and everyone has their own take on the matter. I just personally feel that spreading the metaplot too large and too thin while the thread isn't updating is counterproductive. Essentially, you are taking great character point of view ideas and jamming them back to back, while they would be made so much better by diluting them over time and anchoring them to gameplay events. Patience is the essence of plotting.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:49 pm »

I feel RP and journals are at their best when they work closely with what's happening in the fortress. The more you go on about side-stories without anchoring them to what's going on turn-wise, the greater the gap between roleplay and gameplay becomes. The main issue that arises, is that people have to choose whether they'll be taking part in journals closely related to turn events, or go all nuts themselves and join on the side-story party, but they can hardly do both. The storylines of Callista the bone carver and Dark One the rampaging corpse-mutant abomination are a prime example. They both relate to Doomforests, but they can hardly interact together in a credible way that leads to something greater; one is siding with the gameplay events, the other mostly exists in the metaplot events.

This is of course just my point of view, and everyone has their own take on the matter. I just personally feel that spreading the metaplot too large and too thin while the thread isn't updating is counterproductive. Essentially, you are taking great character point of view ideas and jamming them back to back, while they would be made so much better by diluting them over time and anchoring them to gameplay events. Patience is the essence of plotting.

Well, hopefully we did not go of the deep end yet. One more RP bit after Dark One does his and I will take a break till somebody takes over... By the way, I feel I am a bit rusty with this kind of thing, anything I should be particularly careful with? Is anything that REALLY does not work?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 144