Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF2012 to .40 - What to expect?  (Read 3826 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2012 to .40 - What to expect?
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:39:16 am »

Hello gents,

So I've been away from DF for awhile, and the last time I touched DF was just before .40's release. What are the major, real game changing stuff in Fort mode? Any game breaking bugs, or major deviations I should expect? There any major bug fixes, like for the healthcare system?

Anyway just for the record, I have read the change-log but I'd just like to hear the community's version of things.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 to .40 - What to expect?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:47:08 am »

Well a hosptial is no longer a place to go and die. It actually heals people now.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:51:24 am »

Well a hosptial is no longer a place to go and die. It actually heals people now.

Really? Hm. My hospitals back in the day healed people fine with a bit of micromanagement (by having almost 10 dwarves standing by as a permanent medical staff). So diagnosing patients is no longer low priority?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:01:56 am »

Well traction benches work now, diagnosis is average priority compared to the previous low, people no longer sleep in the hospital beds unless injured, and one medical dwarf can completely run a hospital just fine off screen if given supplies. Hospitals are quite efficient now.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:09:48 am »

Ok, good to know.

How are sieges going? I read they draw enemies from the actual civ now. Does that lead to anything weird or bugs? Do they stop coming after awhile (like, say, they ran out of people)?

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:21:20 am »

Really? Hm. My hospitals back in the day healed people fine with a bit of micromanagement (by having almost 10 dwarves standing by as a permanent medical staff). So diagnosing patients is no longer low priority?

Same, I never really had any problems with them. Aside from the occasional dwarf going coma and never leaving a traction bench, lol.
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:27 am »

Well traction benches work now, diagnosis is average priority compared to the previous low, people no longer sleep in the hospital beds unless injured, and one medical dwarf can completely run a hospital just fine off screen if given supplies. Hospitals are quite efficient now.

Although it's a bit frustrating that many dwarves avoid treatment like plague and prefer running around with broken fingers and other minor injuries.

There aren't many humongous changes for the fortress mode. Trees are multi-tile structures now and wood is a lot more plentiful. The world beyond the embark area is a bit more dynamic and the game continues generating history as time progresses. You can also retire fortresses instead of abandoning them, but unfortunately this feature isn't fully implemented yet - your civ won't actually gain access to your past forts' resources.

It seems most of the changes are groundwork for actually meaningful additions in the future.

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »

1) Things climb. You have been warned

2) if you have even a moderate amount of trees you have all the wood in the world compared to 2012.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:38:39 am »

Something I don't see people mention often is that, with the new trees, once they get old enough branches begin to fall off and collapse to the surface, sometimes very often on heavily wooded embarks (and it'll happen with underground trees too..)

Problem with that is that the falling objects will punch through the floor if its hollow below them, creating unwanted entrances to the fort most of the time :O To permanently prevent it I just build wooden floors over areas around 'soft spots' so no trees can grow near enough drop anything on it.. You'll want something similar around outdoor forts (dirt roads, stockpiles) to prevent climbers from using trees easily cross any walls you build (even though I've seen a zombie climb like a cat already.. terrifying..)

Also the new 'discipline' skill that prevents dwarves from fleeing from horrifying or dangerous situations, and all the fun ways to train it.. Plus you can expect to have a nice vomit-coated fort if you stay out of the sun for too long..

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:19:16 pm »

Well now:
1) Multi-block trees
2) Goblin blitzkrieg flattening every other civilization everywhere
3) Climbing & jumping
4) Hilariously overpowered zombies (in the Tuftedstockades community game, a zombie ARM broke an iron helmed goblin's head with a GLOVE.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:39:20 pm by Illogical_Blox »
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »

Unless a dwarf gets an injury to cartilage or other things that don't heal at all and then bleed to death.
When is that bug gonna get fixed?

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:51:06 am »

Something I don't see people mention often is that, with the new trees, once they get old enough branches begin to fall off and collapse to the surface, sometimes very often on heavily wooded embarks (and it'll happen with underground trees too..)
From reading the bug reports on it, it's actually because cutting down the new trees doesn't remove all of the tree - the tree's "soul" stays hovering in the air, and when it tries to grow and realises there's nothing under it, it collapses.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:11:34 am »

From reading the bug reports on it, it's actually because cutting down the new trees doesn't remove all of the tree - the tree's "soul" stays hovering in the air, and when it tries to grow and realises there's nothing under it, it collapses.

wat

Trees have souls. W... Why?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 10:07:46 pm »

OH MY URIST... the elves were right?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:32 pm »

There's also the matter of the overwhelming number of new plants on the surface, you may be overwhelmed, though you should reference the wiki for any specific varieties, generally they fall under grains (they act like cave wheat), thread (they act like pig tails/rope reeds), or fruits (they act like plump helmets)... there are also some that don't get farmed properly and some that can't be processed and serve little use past scavenging food...

From the changelog, I think you can harvest fruit from trees in 40.14, but I haven't updated yet.

Another big thing is morale, animals and races (dwarves, goblins, etc.) get scared when they see giant animals flying overhead, see zombies walking around, or when they get nearly shot with crossbow bolts... oh and dwarves will cancel jobs if you leave sapient species corpses lying around near their work area...

Also, it seems like justice might have been updated (now hitting other dwarves and animals counts as a crime, as well as breaking and throwing things), so now you can arrest a tantruming dwarf to slow down or stop a tantrum spiral provided your sheriff/fortress guard is tough enough to knock them out and chain them up...

I think there's more, but that's all I can think of now
Pages: [1] 2 3