Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mods Not Working  (Read 1404 times)

Dravha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mods Not Working
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:01:12 pm »

I downloaded several mods; Dark Ages: Mythos of Rammok, Draconic Civilization, and the Lazy Newb Pack for my macbook air 10.6 snow leopard. With the exception of the Lazy Newb Pack I could not make the mods work. I tried clicking the Dark Ages folder and accessing it from within, I clicked every icon that resembled the dwarf fortress launching icon, nothing. I tried moving the dark ages folder into the Dwarf Fortress folder and numerous subfolders and then started up the game normally, still vanilla. I tried unzipping the Dark Ages folder inside the DF folder, still vanilla. I tried using advanced settings instead of the normal world start, still vanilla.

I did much of the same with the Draconic Civilization mod which didn't work for me either. I have the latest versions of both DF and all mods mentioned.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Mods Not Working
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:05:11 pm »

You have to taxt the .txt's to the normal DF raws, not the folders.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dravha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 05:12:48 pm »

You have to taxt the .txt's to the normal DF raws, not the folders.

Are you saying that I need to take the files labeled ".txt" from the raws folder in the mod folder and exchange them with the ".txt" files in the DF raws folder?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:17:50 pm »

No, just copy and paste them into the area you find .txt's. No replacing or exchanging, unless you see duplicates of the same text file. If so, you'll have to go into the file, find what's different, and copy and paste that into the appropriate file.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »

In a nutshell, those .txt files (known as "raws") are an extensive set of configuration files for Dwarf Fortress.  They need to be in the same place as the original raw files (under the "raw" folder) and then you generate a new world with those files.  Each new world holds a copy of the raw files used to generate it, so pasting a new mod into your raw folder won't affect existing worlds (you could go into the data/save folder and edit the copied raws there, but that can cause problems).

With that in mind, most mods are set up so you can just paste them on top of your DF folder.  The problem comes when two different mods try to change the same file (entity_default.txt, which defines what items and buildings are available to the player, is a common site for collisions).  That's when you have to do as StagnantSoul mentioned: scoop out the changes in each and apply them to a common file.

More than one "mod management" project is under way.  When one of them reaches reasonable utility and user friendliness, it will show up in the Starter Packs.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:14 pm »

I actually gave good advice. :')

Dravha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:37:37 pm »

No, just copy and paste them into the area you find .txt's. No replacing or exchanging, unless you see duplicates of the same text file. If so, you'll have to go into the file, find what's different, and copy and paste that into the appropriate file.

using your directions the mod appears to be active in the world I just created thx. I went into the raw folder and copied the contents of the graphics folder then pasted it into the DF graphics folder. I repeated this set of actions for the interaction and and object folder contents. Couldn't I just copy the mod raw folder and replace the vanilla DF raw folder with it as a faster way of activating a future mod?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »

Sadly, it can't work like that. It'd be wonderful if it did.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:19:45 pm »

There are some total conversion mods that completely replace the entire DF folder (come with the game executable and everything), but most mods affect a tiny subset of the raws so it's best to package just what is new/changed.

If you're lucky, the structure inside the .zip file is the same as the DF folder so you can just extract it on top of DF and everything finds its place.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 01:28:51 am »

? It works exactly like that.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 01:35:04 am »

I was talking about just downloading a folder and putting the folder in the raws, no copy and paste.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 01:36:51 am »

The use of the word replace suggests putting the mod's "raw" folder and replacing the vanilla game's "raw" folder, merging them.